Profile Picture

1955/56 Ford Vent Tubes under the hood... what to do?

Posted By Daniel Jessup 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 1 hour ago
Here are the originals...

The question is what to do for replacement? Of course these can be cleaned up, the insulation removed, etc. But what insulation do I need to get to replace it?

Has anyone added an inline "cabin air filter" to these tubes? I remember when I drove this car every day it could be a dust bowl inside if I went down a gravel road, etc.

Another idea I had was to get rid of these old sheet metal tubes altogether and install rubber tubes in their place. I am pretty sure these are made this way because the elbows off of the firewall are rigid and the whole front end needs to be "adjusted" when installed so these are the last items install once the front end panels are secure. Am I right on that?

Anyone have photos of what they have done for these tubes?

Daniel Jessup

Lancaster, California

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

Lou
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
When i restored my 56 , 64B in the late 1980s i used 1/2 thick regular house insulation.
MoonShadow
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
The insulation doesn't show anyway so the house insulation should be a better replacement. I hadn't thought of it but will use it for mine. Thanks Lou.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
Daniel Jessup
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
Not a bad idea at all Lou. 

Do you think Ford used it as actual insulation or as a way to make up for the difference in adjusting the front end sheet metal assembly to the fixed 90 degree elbows?

Daniel Jessup

Lancaster, California

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

Lou
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I believe it was done for both reasons, alignment, and to stop the engine heat from warming the cool duct air.  
Y block Billy
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
they sell flex duct tubing but lined with something like aluminum dryer hose flex would probably give enough insulation and you wouldnt have to worry about breathing in fiberglass dust!

55 Vicky & customline

58 Rack Dump, 55 F350 yard truck, 57 F100

59 & 61 P 400's, 58 F100 custom cab, 69 F100, 79 F150, 82 F600 ramp truck, 90 mustang conv 7 up, 94 Mustang, Should I continue?

rgrove
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)Supercharged (576 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
When I did mine, I took some home insulation and sprayed the fiberglass side with 3M spray adhesive. Then I took some plastic from a black garbage bag and applied that and wrapped it around the edges to make a sealed "pad" that was the right size.  I then installed inside the tubes.  That kept the fiberglass stuff sealed up so I didnt end up with itchy legs when wearing shorts (at least in my mind).  

Its been almost 15 years, and so far so good.

Ron Grove

Wauconda, IL

Reading This Topic

Site Meter