Profile Picture

Milling 239 Y-block heads QUESTION....

Posted By 82warren 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 3 days ago
30 coupe (2/26/2016)
Ted, I have a set of those ECG-C heads are they "desirable" ? or valuable ?   I am  just curious.   Thanks----Jim

Jim.  From a performance perspective, those heads are simply in the middle of the list making many of the bigger valved heads more desirable.  From a restoration standpoint or where someone is trying to make a 182HP 272, then they would be worth more than simply core pricing.  From a performance standpoint, these would still be a better cylinder head than any of the heads made for the Y after 1960.

I did recently dyno an original 1955 182HP 272 that had some miles on it.  It still managed 177HP with the Teapot carb and L-O-M distributor with the old spark plugs, wires, and tune up in place.  With a rebuild which included a 0.030” oversize bore, an Isky E4 cam ground on 112°, and some mods to the inside of the Teapot intake manifold, this engine was up to 207HP.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

30 coupe
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)Supercharged (312 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 days ago
Thanks Ted,  I appreciate the information. even though I played with these  Y-Blocks when I was a teenager, I really never knew a lot about them, and am now trying to improve my knowledge of them.----Jim

Reading This Topic

Site Meter