Profile Picture

55 Ford Running Hot?

Posted By Half-dude 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Sounds better than the acid which i have but I've been reluctant to use out of caution.

The baking soda is there any amount you need to add to the cooling system to neutralize the acidic nature of the vinegar after flushing?

1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan - 292 Y8 - Ford-O-Matic - 155,000 mi

Dobie
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
At least one box of soda. You may want to do the neutralizing procedure twice, using 1 box of baking soda each time. then flush with plain water. If you can find canning vinegar it's a little stronger than the salad vinegar on the grocery store shelf.
newbill
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (55 reputation)Turbocharged (55 reputation)Turbocharged (55 reputation)Turbocharged (55 reputation)Turbocharged (55 reputation)Turbocharged (55 reputation)Turbocharged (55 reputation)Turbocharged (55 reputation)Turbocharged (55 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Evaporust came out with a new product for cleaning the scale out of cooling systems recently.  I tried it in my Model A, and I was amazed.  Might give that a try.

DryLakesRacer
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Going back to you first photos of the Town Sedan and engine I noticed an exhaust crossover pipe. As I knew them all 55 Fairlane 4 barrel engines had dual exhaust and no crossover. This adds a lot of heat under the hood so you may want to consider factory duals with rear exit exhaust manifolds. Good luck.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Half-dude
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)

Okay I finally took Mitzi out for a drive today with a temperature gun on standby. I ran her until she started wanting to die at idle like she does and when the TEMP guage was reading a up on the hot end probably less then a inch from the far hot end of the gauge.

Intake Manifold Thermostat Housing: 212
Upper Radiator Hose: 188- 196
Upper Radiator: 176-177
Lower Radiator: 130-140
Lower Radiator Hose: 140-150

How do those look to you guys? By what you're saying it doesn't sound like it's too bad but she's definitely running on the hot end of things. I'm thinking of taking the thermostat out and running her without one and see what I get.

charliemccraney
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
With a good functioning cooling system, the engine should run near, but above the thermostat rating.  What temp is the thermostat?
Don't run it without a thermostat.

Did you replace that water pump?

Lawrenceville, GA
Half-dude
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)Supercharged (555 reputation)

That's the problem, I don't know what the rating is, I didn't bother to find out when I got it.. I was new to working on cars at the time and didn't know they came with different ratings... why shouldn't I run without a thermostat? I've heard of other people doing that.

Yes I did put the new pump on.
charliemccraney
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

If you're having cooling problems, it is nothing that removing the thermostat will truly fix.  You simply need to find the problem and fix it correctly.

With no thermostat, it will probably run too cool, assuming everything else is good.  The engine will take longer to warm up.  Heater performance is not as good.  Mileage will decrease.  Power will decrease.  Engine wear will increase. The temperature will not be regulated at all. Other issues could arise as a result of having a gaping hole, rather than the restriction provided by the thermostat.  It's not going to cause anything beneficial to happen and it won't fix your problem.

Lawrenceville, GA
Half-dude
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I took out the thermostat this weekend, turns out it was a 180 degree thermostat. I'm ordering a 170 degree NAPA THM 6 as someone here told me that was a good one, I kinda think I'd rather get a 160 degree one though.
charliemccraney
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

180 should be about perfect.  160 is too cold.  The thermostat is not your problem, assuming it is working correctly.  You can check that in a pot of water, as  you bring it to a boil, or with a heat gun and infrared thermometer.

Lawrenceville, GA

Reading This Topic

Site Meter