Profile Picture

Best Y block carb choices

Posted By Outlaw56 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Frank, I actually have the Lokar cable that came with my AOD. I just dont know how or where it hooks to the carb and what I have to be looking for on the carberator I purchase.

Darrell Howard Whitefish, MT Outlaw 56 Ford F-100's
PF Arcand
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
It's always interesting to read about carb recommendations.. Having hung around car guys & race tracks some, the opinions, particularly on size, are often, if such & such is good, then "Bigger is better.!"  And the same is generally true of cam shaft recommendations. Ted Eaton has pointed out that big carbs can often be tuned to work on small engines o.k. But, unless you have some carb knowledge & patience & in the case of a new carb, are willing to except that the vendor will balk at taking it back, after you've  tinkered with & messed it up, best to stay on the conservative side in selecting a carb for a smallish engine...     
P.S..- If I recall this reference material has been posted here also, but was originally printed in Y-Blk Magazine, issue # 97, in 2010.  Briefly it was a test of 16 carbs on Ted Eaton's mildly modified 322" test mule. In short, two of the top 5 carbs tested, were under 500 cfm.. a Ford Autolite 1.08 & a Holley 465...     

Paul
Outlaw56
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)Supercharged (924 reputation)

Thats good advise Paul. I for sure would rather stay under than go over.

Outlaw56
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Frank (or anyone having experience with AOD Lokar TV cable to Edelbrock Carb),

Would it be an advantage to come off the center port of the AOD and install a hose running towards the engine bay to mount a permanent pressure guage to monitor the transmission pressure when adjusting the shift tv cable?

charliemccraney
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 4 hours ago
Here's a link to the chart Holley had when I got my 570.
http://www.northernperformance.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Holley-Street-Avenger-Carb-Selection-Guide.jpg

It indicates that it won't work with AOD and there are other caveats.

I think I need to correct something I said earlier about the Edelbrock.  I said that the 600 worked fine on my warm 292 (+.060, B intake, C0AE heads, rams horns, 226 @ .050, .295 lift cam, 1.54 rockers) other than the air valve problem.  I'm not 100% sure at this point, but I think the air valve problem did not occur until I had the bigger, better engine (stroker, ported heads, blue thunder, etc.).  I've been thinking about it and I just can't remember that until after all of the upgrades.  This suggests that the 600 should work fine on at least some 292s.  Don't know about 272.  A 292 is within 3% (is that negligible) of their 300ci recommendation and an overbore narrows that whereas a 272 is about 10% lower.  So take that with a grain of salt, as they say. 

Lawrenceville, GA
Outlaw56
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

From my research (no actual experience, just reading and gathering information), the 600 is over carbing a 272 that has been modified below 300. Personally, I think even a 500 is on the high side for 1 272 but I believe from what I have been told here it will work. Thanks for pointing out that the Holley Street Avenger will not work with the AOD Charlie. I have came across that several places. That was the reason for me asking what I had to be looking for regarding a carb that would or would not work with an AOD. There are several excellent videos on You Tube about installing Lokar TV shift cables with the Edelbrock Performer/Thunder series. 

I will be installing my Edelbrock 500 Thunder on my stock 272/Manual. I will also remove it and try it on my 292/AOD once I get to that project. I think there is a good chance the 500 would be ok for both, but wont know until I have a chance to try it. 

pegleg
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Darell, 
           Sorry, don't get here everyday. Yes to the pressure gage. All Lokar says that I remember is to make sure the lever on the tranny moves as soon as the throttle begins to open. They supply you with very good instructions. If you don't have them I'd recommend going to their website and finding out which hole to use. Remember there were multiple versions of this tranny from trucks to Lincoln Mark VII's and Mustang GT's all of which used different levers and settings. Without knowing what your was I can't tell you much more. 

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

Pete 55Tbird
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Carburetor choice for a Y-block, or any other engine will depend on a number of things. What will you be using the car for and what do you want as far as driving experience? Is it a cruiser or is it a drag strip car? What transmission and rear axle? How heavy and what cam and or other modification have been done? To try to answer what carburetor is "best' is a question without a rational answer. Pete 
hjh
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (348 reputation)Supercharged (348 reputation)Supercharged (348 reputation)Supercharged (348 reputation)Supercharged (348 reputation)Supercharged (348 reputation)Supercharged (348 reputation)Supercharged (348 reputation)Supercharged (348 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Summit carb results
For my 2 cents worth on the Summit carb.I am using the 750 Vac secondary model on my 60 Merc which is 3800 lbs. + of car and driver  which is going 12.60's at 110 MPH  with the help of Mummert Heads and intake ported by Joe Craine.The car went 12.70 with the carb out of the box after I got traction and then broken axle problems taken care of. I am sure there made by Holley as it uses all Holley parts, jets, vac parts, power valves ect. The carb sold by Summit is a copy of the one Holley made years ago models 4010 & 4011 which was a copy of the AutoLlite carb but with some improvements.So the Summit carb gets my vote. They also offer that in 650 CFM also.  Harry Hutten
Ted
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 4 days ago
Harry.  Based on the results you were having at Columbus, I tested that same 750 cfm carb on a 303” Y with unported '113' heads and iron intake and was very pleased with the dyno results.  315HP and a very broad torque band.  That engine is back in a ’56 Ford Victoria with highway gears and runs very well at all rpms with great driveability in stop and go traffic.  The fuel mileage is also good even with ethanol laden fuels.  It gets my vote also.

What helps to make that larger carb work well are the annular discharge boosters which allows for a reinforced vacuum signal thus compensating for the larger throttle bores.  This carb ends up with good low rpm response and the cfm to accommodate some good rpms even on a smaller cubed engine.  I’ve also run the smaller 600 cfm versions on engines but have no comparisons to its larger version on the same engine.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter