Vicky progress

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic98034.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By MoonShadow - 11 Years Ago
Went to Maine yesterday to pick up the snow tires for my Mercedes. Visited with Bill's brother Dan for a while and took some progress shots of MoonShadow. I love the lack of rust on these southern cars there were only a few spots beyond the rocker panels and they just need a couple patches. I'm not going with wood grain no matter what the pictures look like. Bill shot a quick primer/sealer on it to protect the media blasted (naked) body. I'm always suprized at how straight the body is. Did a few measurements and it seems I only have 15"-16" inches from the intake bolt surface to the hood. I am hoping to find a decent 55 hood (fiberglass would be great) to cut a hole in. I certainly don't want to cut up my good louvered hood. Decisions, decisions! Pictures are on the HAMB site. Chuck

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9410136#post9410136
By Glen Henderson - 11 Years Ago
Well Chuck, I guess since we can't post pictures here then the HAMB is the next best choice. Just never figured out how to do it over there. By the way project is looking good, can't wait to see it in person!

I
By Rono - 11 Years Ago
Chuck;
The car looks GREAT! Do you have a color in mind!

Rono
By The Master Cylinder - 11 Years Ago
Glen Henderson (12/12/2013)
Well Chuck, I guess since we can't post pictures here then the HAMB is the next best choice.

??? Glen, Why can't you post pictures here???

By MoonShadow - 11 Years Ago
Little "Christmas story" humor there. I am a member at the HAMB also but rarely post there. To post pictures from your computer you have to add them as attachments. To use their add picture link the pictures have to be loaded on the net somewhere. Just add them as attachment and their software will resize them and show them in the text. Then copy the link and paste it in the forum.
The car is going to remain black on black for now. I can remember at least one around when I was a kid. Mine is an attempt to recreate that car my way. Thats why the stubby lakes pipes, tube grill and Merc tailights. The McCulloch was more money than I could afford in the 50-60's. So when I found some for reasonable prices some years ago I jumped on it.
The 4-71 blower motor is another life long dream. I always loved cars that whir and wheeze. I had to try one!
The next dream being realized is to have a car with an old style HEMI in it. As soon as the weather warms up again I'll be adding one to the Chrysler roadster.
Chuck
By Glen Henderson - 11 Years Ago
Don't know, when I reply to a thread, I no longer have the option to add an attachment.
By Ted - 10 Years Ago
Chuck is not able to post and has asked me to post the following in regards to progress on his Vicky.

Moonshadow 1/18/2014
I decided to send a short EMAIL. I'm still waiting for the new software to fix the forum.

Anyway here are a few pictures of my progress. I ended up with a 7" snout and a 2" extension to get the blower pulleys lined up. A 9" snout would be dead on but the only one I found were for 460 Fords and were like 9.25". If not 9" then I'm sure a 8" with 1" spacer would be good. Also had to extend the idler but that was simple enough. With a standard 2" (?) fan spacer a fan would just fit, maybe with a little fiddling with spacers. I'm just not sure it will clear the radiator in its stock position.

Anyway parts are coming together for a spring thrash. The Vicky is still up with Bill in Maine. He found a couple of unexpected problems. In fact I think we know why my front fenders seem to droop. The front cross member was replaced but not completely welded in. So with that off it affected the whole nose. Can't wait to see some black on the old buggy. Anyway, Ted, would you please see if you can post this to the forum in my progress section. Thanks! Chuck

PS in the background you can see the Hemi with McCulloch bracket fitted.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/b30a4799-7ee7-45e1-b860-87dd.jpg http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/4299a7a5-0e0b-4880-b493-5c22.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/c0706851-816a-4fc1-9063-4dd8.jpg http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/ba394595-d574-4b58-b19e-8a9f.jpg
By Rono - 10 Years Ago
Hey Chuck;

Both set-ups look AWESOME! Great Job!

Rono
By Rono - 8 Years Ago
Chuck;
Just looked over you 4-71 set-up again with new interest because now I am working on one too. I bought a YBLOKE intake and wondered if you are running a heater hose from your intake and if so, from where?
Also, just curious what type and ratio pulleys you are running?
Thanks,
Rono
By MoonShadow - 8 Years Ago
Right now the engine is at Ted's for final adjustments and dyno. I cannot remember how the water connection was setup or whether there was one. The drive ratio is 1.1 for starters. I also don't remember the tooth count. I'm sending you some pictures of the adapter I had made for the lower pulley. It bolts to the damper bolt and the two accessory pulley bolts and bring the blower pulley in flush with the damper. Worked for me.  I might have to make some changes around the radiator when I install the engine. Not sure of the clearance. If  It's too tight I may go to a V belt drive for the blower. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Perhaps Ted or the Y-bloke will answer the heater hose question. Looking at my picture of the manifold it doesn't have a water outlet.

By Rono - 8 Years Ago
Chuck;
Thanks for your response. I have been talking to YBLOKE about the heater hose issue. Right now, he is not sure if the T-Stat housing area is thick enough to support enough threads for a hose barb, but he plans on looking into that. He sent me an old photo of an old Cragar Y-Block blower intake that had a hose barb down on the passenger side front runner as I remember.
I purchased one of Lindsay's crank pulley adapters which is set-up for the Permabond crank pulley although you still need to drill and tap that for final fitment. It is similar, but different from Gord McMillan's crank pulley adapter for the McCulloch set-ups.

I am not even close to buying pulleys, but I like to gather all the info I can before I do. I am concerned about clearance issues also with my 37 coupe. I was planning on using a 8" blower snout which may require a pusher fan in front of the radiator. I really wanted to run a shrouded electric puller fan, but I just don't know if I will have the room.

Rono

I have a double V drive on my damper for alternator and power steering. With the drive pulley bolted flat on the face of the adapter it required the 9" snout.

By Bobwanna - 8 Years Ago
Dear Forum Moderators - Please banish this spammer - B
By 62bigwindow - 8 Years Ago
Spammer? Did I miss something in this thread? Engine looks great by the way.
Spam appeared and the moderator's nuked it. They are good about that.
By Rono - 8 Years Ago
Okay, I understand. No power steering for me, running a manual R&P so I'm just running the single V belt for alternator and water pump. BTW, I couldn't believe how heavy that 4-71 is! All the weight must be in the rotors.
Rono
A bare case feels strangely light. Those rotors are heavy and the gears.
By thundercat - 8 Years Ago
I have one of Lindsays manifolds [#17]       I drilled and tapped the thermostat area for senders for the MSD Fuel Injection I'm installing on my 4-71..  There was enough material for threading. I actually drilled both sides...  But what you are installing can not go in very deep as the thermostat is close.. Also blower is close above ..   I'm close to being able to run. I just finished shortning oil pan . I am using one of John Mummerts  short front covers.. I just have to alter the dampner and remount alternator..  I didn't have enough rome without doing this.Everything else will work from previous setup.. I will try to attach picture..  Steve McD
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/5a40dd97-4a70-4997-9d86-9d5c.jpg
By Bobwanna - 8 Years Ago
Another spammer - B
See I really am working on it.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/23bd2820-fd19-44a7-9be0-fa66.jpg
By Rono - 8 Years Ago
Awesome!

Rono
By Daniel Jessup - 8 Years Ago
What in tarnation?
Moderator Note:  Daniel is referring to some spam that has been deleted.
By MoonShadow - 7 Years Ago
More progress, Finally! Going to spend a couple of days cleaning and painting under the hood. Getting ready for the blower motor.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/511b3e8d-7d57-46b8-9be2-d089.jpg
It finally happened the new motor is in the Vicky and ready for connections. I can hardly wait to hear it run. So far Ted is the only one that know how it sounds! Excited.

By Y block Billy - 7 Years Ago
No he is not! I was there when it was dynoe'd along with Randy Gummelt who is no longer with us (God Bless) I may have video hiding so everybody can hear it! LOL
Cant insert video unless its from youtube on this end!
Thanks Bill but I think I can wait for the real thing.
By Rowen - 7 Years Ago
Moon shadow, I bet you can, but what about the rest of us that just love the sound of a y-block!! Let alone a blown y-block!! That sucker looks sweet and mean all at the same time!! Good job and enjoy my friend. I sure as heck would!!
By pegleg - 7 Years Ago
UH Oh, I better start tuning the red car!!w00t
I will make a video and post it on startup. Today was the first of several "little things" days. First I had to rotate the motor mounts, dumb! Then setup new throttle linkage. Tomorrow I'm off to buy some AN fittings to adapt to the carb. Also final wiring of the distributor and MSD box and mounting the new aluminum radiator. Pretty close to cranking time.
By RB - 7 Years Ago
Pressure is on Chuck... It better be at Norwalk so we can all drool over it...
Hey Hey RB, don't be drooling on that paint I put on for him!
By Ted - 7 Years Ago
See if this video works.  This is Chuck’s engine on the dyno.
http://vid240.photobucket.com/albums/ff192/jacobeaton/1Video%202016%2006%2029%20101%20Chuck%20Cline%20325%20Supercharged%20YBlk.mp4 
By Rowen - 7 Years Ago
Yeah baby!! That's what I'm talkin about!!
Very, very nice Ted and Chuck! Can't wait to see the first video of her goin down the track!!
Had to learn to cut files down for youtube. Anyway this is the first start up of my new Ted Eaton blower motor. Just happened to be on my birthday May 19. The morning of the 20th I took it to a car show/grand opening at the O'reilly's auto parts where my daughter is a new assistant manager. Reaction was awesome! AND the car runs like stink!! If anyone near me or heading to Norwalk has a 55 hood in fair condition I need one. Don't want to put holes in my louvered hood. Let me know, cheap is great! 

By Daniel Jessup - 7 Years Ago
Wow! that is great! Give us the specs from that dyno run too when you can.
That thing is going to turn some heads for sure...
I'm hoping Ted will chime in with the dyno record. I asked him to build it for easy street driving with oomph!
By Ted - 7 Years Ago
MoonShadow (5/22/2017)
I'm hoping Ted will chime in with the dyno record. I asked him to build it for easy street driving with oomph!

On Chuck’s engine, it’s 325 cubic inches with a small camshaft (Isky 228/238 grind on 110° lobe centers) and 8.55:1 static compression ratio.  The dynamic compression ratio is 7.20:1.

With the blower pulleys in a 10% underdrive configuration, the engine is making 377HP and 377TQ.  With the pulleys reversed so it in a 10% overdrive configuration, the engine is making 428HP and 422TQ.  Both of these sets of numbers are with a 650 dbl pmpr Holley.  Switching to a 850 DP Holley and staying at the 10% overdrive configuration, the numbers jump up to 445HP and 426TQ.

By Rowen - 7 Years Ago
If I may ask Ted, at what RPM were those pulls from and too? Where were the peaks? Chuck, Ted, that motor is not only bad, it sure is pretty!! Nicely done all round!
Seems to shift best at around 5,000 RPM. Solid shit to second with an early AOD transmission. Needs third shift adjusted as it will jump 2d to 3d pretty quickly. I usually shift back to low to lock the trans into second gear. Just like the Ford O Matic. I have a 6,000 RPM chip in the MSD and hit it once. The engine was still pulling hard at that point. First time on the track so I've a learning curve to follow. I was very surprised that the launce was still decent. I'm running a stock 56 rear end with a posi unit and 3:70 gears. I do not go through the water and have only felt a slight wheel hop at the initial launch. I have some traction bars and a small ladder bar setup I'll be looking at. Also want to get better rear tires. Current tires are radial street tires on an 8" Mopar rim. I'm thinking drag radials with as close to a 10" tread as I can fit. Times started in the high 16's, worked down to a low 16 in the Saturday time trials. Made one time trial on Sunday where everything seemed to go right and got a 15.7. I'm happy with that but Ted says I should se 14's out of it. I'm running the blower under driven which is costing about 40HP so once I feel dialed I'll switch the pullies and see what happens. Overall I am very satisfied with this Ted Eaton baby monster he built for me. From Teds comments, once I and the car get sorted out I may get an 850 Holley double pumper for the track. I haven't gone this quick since I sold my 69 Fairlane Cobra!http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/f9d41c26-d4e2-4491-938f-3b11.jpg
By pegleg - 7 Years Ago
Gettin better Chuck, have to up my Game!
You have to show up first! Missed you at Norwalk. Hope to see you next year.
By Ted - 7 Years Ago
Rowen (7/19/2017)
If I may ask Ted, at what RPM were those pulls from and too? Where were the peaks? Chuck, Ted, that motor is not only bad, it sure is pretty!! Nicely done all round!

Test RPM’s for the 650 carb was 3000 to 5800.  RPM’s for the 850 test was 3000 to 6000 rpm.

Horsepower numbers are still climbing at the end of the pulls regardless of carb size while the torque is peaking at 4500 rpms with the 650 Holley.  With the 850 Holley, the torque is peaking at 4600 rpms.  HP looks to be peaking around 6200-6300 rpms when looking at the graphs.
By speedpro56 - 7 Years Ago
Chuck, it's looking great and mean!

Every time Ted posts I learn more about the engine. Strange, its all sort of like fun!! Smile
By LordMrFord - 7 Years Ago
Wow! The Beauty and the Beast in a same package.
By pegleg - 7 Years Ago
Chuck, Might, had problems with the car and had to work on Saturday this year.

Missed ya. Especially after missing for a few years myself.
By Rono - 7 Years Ago
Chuck;

The motor looks and sounds GREAT! VERY impressive numbers from the dyno also. I just got my 37 coupe back from the shop in Nevada after 2&1/2 years and will be completing my blower set up in the next couple of weeks. One question I have for you is how did you get your motor from New Hampshire down to Ted's shop in Texas?? 

Rono
Originally I brought the block and parts to the Y-Block nationals in Ohio. Ted took it back with him. Ted and I have been going to Bonneville with the Rolling Bones crew for a few years so after the engine was finished he brought it along there. Loaded it into my van for the return trip. It took about another year to get it installed. What a pleasure the start up was. No tuning! It evens idles right and doesn't want to stall at stops. Runs like a real motor but faster! Without any test and tune or traction mods I chopped over a second out of my quarter mile times. Next project will be traction bars and slicks or drag radials. I was surprised at how well it launched with street tires and the stock 56 Posi rear end with 3:80 gears. Once its running correctly I have a Cougar 9" to put it. I've run the old school posi for years and it has taken the abuse, so far.
By Rono - 7 Years Ago
Chuck;
I sent you a PM regarding boost referencing your carb.

Thanks,