Distributor Identification help!

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic86006.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Danny - 11 Years Ago
These are new pics of the interior of the distributor. I am unable to see any part numbers unless I remove it. Any guess as to the part number might be or the year of manufacture? What Pertronix II or III?

Thanks,

Danny
By junkyardjeff - 11 Years Ago
Looks like the 57 and up distributor to me.
By oldcarmark - 11 Years Ago
Are the advance springs visible when you take off the cap?(Above the breaker plate).That's the loadomatic.
By aussiebill - 11 Years Ago
Danny (8/7/2013)
Is this the Cardone 30-2028 distributor or the original Load-O-Matic? It doesn't appear to be original. Can anyone tell from the pics?

Thanks,

Danny

tHAT IS # FOR 57 ONWARD DIST.
By Y block Billy - 11 Years Ago
I don't think Cardone makes distributors, they just rebuild them for all the automotive distributors. It looks to be an original Y distributor because mostly when you get a rebuilt one it would come with the triangle shaft area which is from FE-SBF engines.
By oldcarmark - 11 Years Ago
The Cardone # is 30-2808.They would still have the ford ID # on them BUT it may not be for a Y-Block originally.The same casting can be used on different applications when they are rebuilt.If you are looking for one for a Y-Block I would suggest purchasing an exchange unit.They are less than $100 if you shop around.
By GREENBIRD56 - 11 Years Ago
This distributor body - which appears to match yours - is an "Autolite" variety. Ford used as OEM on the years up to '64.

The bowl above the stem is deep enough for a centrifugal advance mechanism - and as mentioned above, if you lift the cap there are no springs to be seen on that type of distributor.

I have found "Old Stock" freshly rebuilt "Autolite" point distributors (by Vapex and others) - but they are few and far between.

Also as mentioned above, the "tri-lobe" stem was used on the "Motorcraft" distributors produced after '64 (used on a large variety of Ford engines) - and those housings are always found to be re-cycled/re-used on the Cardone re-manufactured Y-block parts. I don't believe the tri-lobes were ever used on a factory built "Y" engine - only the Autolite.

By Talkwrench - 11 Years Ago
As Mark said shop around for a recond one, put the ignitor 3 and matching coil in .. again shop around online you can get it for not much more than the 2 !