2X4 intake

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic80475.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By itsa292 - 11 Years Ago
I have an opportunity to obtain a dual quad intake for the Y. I haven't seen it yet so I don't know much about it . I was told it was an OEM intake for the 312. OK. I was told it was an Aluminum intake.

My question is "Did Ford make their 2x4 intake aluminum or was it cast like the rest ?" If aluminum what should I look for other than cracks and repairs to determine its usefulness ? I have no need nor desire for it so it will be up for sale . I can send pictures as soon as I see the intake . Then we all can share comments. Thanks

Ben in Western NC
By Hoosier Hurricane - 11 Years Ago
Yes, the Ford 2-4 manifolds are aluminum. They had two, the '56 manifold had a casting number EDB-D on the bottom, the '57 had ECG. Mercury had their own versions. The two most likely problems are broken front ears where they bolt to the heads and rotted-out bottoms where the exhaust gases pass through for carb and choke heat. There are also aftermarket manifolds, Edelbrock being the most common.
By Ted - 11 Years Ago
Here’s a group of YBlock 2X4 intakes being used for a dyno test. This grouping includes the1956 Ford, 1957 Ford, Edelbrock FM255’s and 257’s, Edmunds, Fenton, Hogans, and the somewhat rare Merc manifold.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a88f4551-e0ae-4f79-a735-49f1.jpg
By MoonShadow - 11 Years Ago
I'm assuming you lock a BIG dog in the shop at night? You are holding on to some real valuables there. Chuck
By lyonroad - 11 Years Ago
Thank you Ted. Now when my wife tells me I should get rid of some of that j*** (I can't bear to type her word) I can show her your photo and let her know "I'm not even close!"
By aussiebill - 11 Years Ago
MoonShadow (3/13/2013)
I'm assuming you lock a BIG dog in the shop at night? You are holding on to some real valuables there. Chuck

Chuck, i think Teds dogs name is Smith & Wesson.
By yblock - 10 Years Ago
2x4 intakes,i have looked at severa and noticed erosion at the water outlet where man bolts to the head,as well as them housings. found 1 on ebay eventualley it is very good at a good price. i was told the fron flance break when use with incorrect valley cover. cliff in surrey bc 57ranchero
By Ted - 10 Years Ago
yblock (2/7/2014)
2x4 intakes,i have looked at several and noticed erosion at the water outlet where man bolts to the head, as well as therm housings. Found 1 on ebay eventually. It is very good at a good price. I was told the front flange breaks when used with incorrect valley cover. cliff in surrey bc 57ranchero

It’s the Ford oem 2X4 intakes that require a recessed valley cover for a non-interference fit. The aftermarket and Mercury dual quad intakes manage to work with the stock valley covers.