My new project. '30 Model A Tudor

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic71345.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By mctim64 - 12 Years Ago
I've been on this for a few months now, just dropped the engine and trans. in on Sat. Smile

This is what I started with.

Here it is so far.

Elwood's old engine and a beefed up C-4 with a 2500 stall converter. Wink

bla bla

By 57FordPU - 12 Years Ago
Sorry I missed the show at the hot rod shop on Saturday.  I bet the model A got lots of attention.  I really like the roller, especially the view from the back.  I saw pictures of Elwood there too, did you fire it up for the crowd?
By matt2491 - 12 Years Ago
Yahoo! Go Tim!
By MoonShadow - 12 Years Ago
Geez slow down a bit your making me feel really old! A looks great and will be a head turner. Chuck
By gritsngumbo - 12 Years Ago
Looking good Tim! What are you plans for the body?
It'll be a Hiboy with a 4" chop.  Not too radical but fenderless non the less.  A little something like this but not quite.

Now that the first El Mirage meet has come and gone it's time to get some work done on the "A". Derrek picked up the body from the sand blaster yesterday so when I got off work the work began.

The body is in pretty good shape but as with anything 80+ years old it has a little rot and has been repaired a few times. With most of the metal bare I had to get in there with a wire wheel and take out all the Bondo. there was two patches on the body, some on the firewall and a little on each door. I now have a new hatered for this stuff.

Grinding the stuff out! What fun!

Now blowing all the sand and dirt out.

Body ready for primer and all the little pieces laid out.

bla bla

Got all the pieces primered last night. Derrek will fit the body to the frame next and then the chop.

Derrek took this "high angle" shot so you guys can see my bald spot.

All ready for the next step.

bla bla

By Doug T - 12 Years Ago
Hi Tim,

Looks just like "Overhaulin'" and the jpgs are almost as long lasting at the fast cuts they use on that show. I find it to be unwatchable, but your pics are great, keep 'em coming.

By aussiebill - 12 Years Ago
Timmy, i know your,ll make a real nice rod from this start, just for some inspiration this is what i started with. There seems a point of months of work and going nowhere, then bingo shes painted. Keep up with the progress pics.

YYY

By Moz - 12 Years Ago
what bald spot tim i cant see a bald spot
Moz, that's cause you're getting old and blind. Tongue

Bill, thanks for the words of encouragement.  I love your cars, they have been an inspiration. Wink

By glrbird - 12 Years Ago
Tim

Are we going to see any of the frame work detail pictures?

Moz is "down under" Tim, hes looking at the wrong end! w00t Chuck
glrbird (5/30/2012)
Tim

Are we going to see any of the frame work detail pictures?

Well, let's see if I can accommodate you. Wink

Ladder bars on the rear with the front attachment points just about even with the front U-joint.

Hair pins up front.

Ladder bars attached to a 9" Ford rear that a friend gave me, out of a '74 Bronco and perfect width.

Derrek has made jigs for almost everything on his frames so they go together quick and accurate.

I would love to say I built this chassis but it was done by Derrek Boling http://www.bolingbrothers.com/ as I mentioned before we met while I was fixing a cam bearing the was installed incorrectly.  The chassis is the result of me building another Y-Block for Derrek to go into a '54 Ranch Wagon custom that he is building. He gets a nice 324ci Y-Block built to accept a VS-57 and I get a roller.  A lot of the body and finish work will be done by me and I am learning to do some of the things I don't know.  Great thing about working on cars with other car guys is knowledge flows back and forth.

By charliemccraney - 12 Years Ago
Moz (5/26/2012)

You can't see it because of the glare.
By The Master Cylinder - 12 Years Ago
charliemccraney (5/31/2012)
Moz (5/26/2012)

You can't see it because of the glare.

Think positive... At least he can comb his hair with a wash rag. w00t

Body is down on the chassis now. Chop comes soon.

By glrbird - 12 Years Ago
Tim

I love those wide 5 wheels on hot  rods, great start to a fun ride.

By Hollow Head - 12 Years Ago
No no no nou... Just don't chop it cause it looks better with tall roof and it's more comfy also that way. You don't want your necks get hurt BigGrin

By yfreak57 - 12 Years Ago
Don't chop too much if you must use hat to hide your bald spot... Tongue
By Doug T - 12 Years Ago
Hi Tim,

Seppo's pic shows a chopped and channeled car which reduces floor to ceiling height even more. If your car wont be channeled, couldn't you put in a pair of foot wells so your knees wouldn't be wrapped around the steering wheel? It looks like that nice chassis would permit them to drop down to at least the bottom of the frame rails and not show from the outside. Maybe Charlie could source some wheelbarrows as doaners for you...
Jeeeah... Ford GT like bubble tops for Tim and Kathy... BigGrin
Actually I am building it very much like this pickup which I have driven.  It fits me (or should I say I fit it) quite nicely. Smile  So I don't think a 4" chop will be too much.

Some work got done yesterday.

Arrived at Derreks Shop and found the A all marked out for cutting.

Then it started.

We're commited now!

Set back down, looks about right to me.

It was nice of the guys to let me help cut the top of my car off but when it came time to re-attach Derrek and Jerrod (aka J Rad) are the pros. They do the important work.

bla bla

Not quite finished but you can get an idea how it will look.

I get the "bone head" award for the day. While de-burring with a wire wheel it got away from me and and took a nice piece of skin with it.

bla bla

By Missouri Mike - 12 Years Ago
    Now Tim, you didn't make a mistake because we don't make mistakes. We just have educational experiences, some hurt and some cost money......

Lookin good!!!!!!!

Mike

By Ketterbros - 12 Years Ago
Great work, any one notice the rims...., are we talking VW, one of the reasons for Ole Henry's troubles...

Mesquite, TX..

By aussiebill - 12 Years Ago
Ketterbros (7/9/2012)
Great work, any one notice the rims...., are we talking VW, one of the reasons for Ole Henry's troubles...

Mesquite, TX..

I think they,d be 39 ford, very similar to vw. Tim, you know your hands gone into the grinder when the sparks stop ! Ha, ha.Smile

By gritsngumbo - 12 Years Ago
Believe those wheels are called "Wide 5's"
Let me quess the wide comes from the bolt pattern Wink. Tim, when you feel the pain, you know you're living. When the pain stops, life has passed your time BigGrin. Your friends are doing as good work as you, Tim!
The wheels are deffinitly FORD. Wink  Wide Fives from a '37 and they come with some bitchin' hub caps. BigGrin

By Ketterbros - 12 Years Ago
I'am aware of Mr.Ford and his ties to VW, and use the wheels and body style as a dig at my soninlaw who is a scrub lover, and now has 5 VW bugs, and it wears him out to have so many Ford/VWs...

Mesquite

very good work your end...watching...

Just a few more shots.  Little progress since Speedweek is on.  I'll get moving on this one again soon. Wink

bla bla bla

Geez Tim slow it down a bit. Youre making me tired just watching. Nice bit of work at speedweek. Congrats. Chuck

UPDATES! UPDATES!

OK! now that racing is done for the year (well except for the Mooneye's X-mas show) it's time to get back on the Model A. Derrek got the new firewall in and the wheel wells done so now I'm gonna take it home for a few weeks and tackle the wood.

New firewall and you can see the patched kick panels too

New wheel wells look good too, nice fit for the cheaters.

Got a shifter for the C-4 and here's another look at the kick panels.

Also got the new windshield frame, I'll attach it when the header is in.

Stay tuned! I'll have pix of the fun puting the wood kits in, I've been told it's an easy job.

bla bla blah!
By Nighthawk756 - 12 Years Ago
Nice progress! I'm still sitting over here drooling over the project....Tongue

One day....oooooone day!

Today I will pull the motor, primer the wheel wells and firewall, paint the channels and other places the wood will be installed. Then the wood goes in of course.

Yesterday we took the car out and had a little photo shoot. I like the way it is coming along, it's gonna look just as I imagined in the beginning.

bla bla bla

By Ted - 12 Years Ago

Tim.  Looks good.  With all you do, it’s amazing you still have time for the ‘extra’ projects you have going on.

Ted (11/23/2012)

Tim.  Looks good.  With all you do, it’s amazing you still have time for the ‘extra’ projects you have going on.

No kiddin! I was thinking the same thing Ted! Tongue

All painted in the right places, no bare metal left on the body. The main job was to paint the places where the wood was going but I also got some black primer to shoot the wheel wells, firewall and the bare places where the chop was done. With plenty of primer left I shot most of the rest of the car to see what it would look like black. I think I like the green better, it will be that color again one day.

Garage paint booth.

Shooting the inside of the firewall.

Inside is a low gloss matte black.

Now I have a black floor instead of a blue one. (painted my wife's Herald in there too a few years back)

My wife Kathy sealed all the wood for me while I was painting, we'll start installing it this week.

Bla bla bla

First pieces of wood are in. I think the headers (front and sides) are the hardest pieces, once they are in it should go pretty easy.

By Duck - 12 Years Ago
Been a fly on the wall, watchin' it all. Dude- we'll make a bodyman outta 'ya, yet... Wink /Duck
By Talkwrench - 12 Years Ago
But...but.. no girls??!!BigGrin                         nice work !
By BIGREDTODD - 12 Years Ago
Looking great Tim!

I'm taking notes...hehe

Top wood almost complete.

bla bla bla

Yes, Tim. You are definetely learning how to build Hot Rods! And with beer it is even more fun Wink. Keep going!
By jhildebr - 12 Years Ago
Tim,

Looks good! I run a Model A coupe with a Cleveland motor but am working on a Yblock for the Coupe. You can see a picture in the Dec. issue of Car Kulture Deluxe mag on page 10-11. I work with John and Geoff Mummert. We are trying to put on the first West Coast Y-Block shootout at Barona dag strip on May 4-5th. Hope you can make it down. PS there is a Fun Ford Race the same weekend at Bakersfield. Would this be a conflict?

John Hildebrand

I'll look for your car, I have that issue. Wink

Installed the new valance, windshield frame and old visor.

Trimming of the excess to match the header.

Drill every two inches for a nail.

All done for the night.

Great progress Tim! Keep 'em coming! Cool

Oh and....nice honerable mention in the latest Custom Classic Trucks! Tim was mentioned along with a few pics with his LSR at Bonneville. Congrats brother! Wink

Thanks!  I haven't seen the mag yet, still looking for a place in town that sells it. Smile
By Daniel Jessup - 12 Years Ago
Flat out Awesome work!!! This thing is going to look cherry when you get it done.
By mctim64 - 11 Years Ago
Not much has happened since the first of the year but we're rolling again. Took the A back to Boling Bros. now that Derrek has a little room. Floor, steering column and a few other final things before it's ready to paint. Hope to have it a driver by summer. 0

IMG 1033

IMG 3866
If you want any info on the Fab work here contact Derrek at Boling Bros. Early Iron. They do great work! http://www.bolingbrothers.com/

Now for the updates. We were s'posed to get some body work going today but other projects got in the way. But there is some more work on the floor to share. Park brake lever is mounted, battery box is in and the rear seat still fits in the original position. Car is coming together nicely! Body comes off this week and then prep for paint. Or so we plan.

You are doing an awesome job on the Model A! I hope I can do as well on the 37. I'm going to go and get it next week!

Rono
The body is out of my garage and down the road to Marty's. Hope to have updates on the paint over the next month. We're getting close!
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/0206dba9-a7d6-4a19-8c19-002a.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/cffb98d0-5dd8-4801-846b-ff71.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/41d664e6-d2fc-434c-8085-bc55.JPG

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/8c1be99e-4592-400d-9211-5766.JPG
Just brought the frame and a bunch of painted pieces home. Things are coming together.

Some assembly required!

By Hollow Head - 11 Years Ago
I quess we all are waiting for something really cool to show up Wink! Thumbs up for you Tim!
By MoonShadow - 11 Years Ago
Tim, is the frame powder coated? It sure has a great finish on it. You are on the way to another class vehicle in your stable. Chuck
MoonShadow (6/6/2013)
Tim, is the frame powder coated? It sure has a great finish on it. You are on the way to another class vehicle in your stable. Chuck

Just painted. I went back and forth about paint or powder coat, the cost was about the same. In the end paint won out, maybe a little regret but it looks good still.

Latest "spy" photos sent to me by Marty. I'm excited!
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/13274e58-f128-4fef-b2fe-ec10.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/6ffb0689-c0d3-4060-b589-5020.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/3ca69fb2-f2a5-480f-a2d5-384f.jpg
By lyonroad - 11 Years Ago
Just went through the whole thing. Very nice. What impresses me the most Tim is that you have the exact same paint booth that I have.

Thanks
lyonroad (6/11/2013)
you have the exact same paint booth that I have.

Thanks

Ha Ha I think a lot of us have that one. Wink
By Rono - 11 Years Ago
Tim;

You're making great progress...!

Rono
Little bit more tonight. Might set the engine in tomorrow.

By The Master Cylinder - 11 Years Ago
Is there supposed to be pictures in you last post?
By jrw429 - 11 Years Ago
Get an account on the HAMB and sign in, and then the images will show up. www.jalopyjournal.com
By bird55 - 11 Years Ago
I like those vented backing plates! What are they from or did you fab them that way. Nice touch, all in the details on these things I think.
Good Saturday! People just don't understand how much
goes into assembling something like this. I've spent a few hours and $ just running around looking fasteners and what not that will make this car look good. In the end it will all be worth it. I know from age that in the look back it's all just a blink and it's done. I'm enjoying this build no matter how much time I spend on the surface streets looking for ONE bolt.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/21932422-5457-4891-b7d9-01e7.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/cc78fb01-61bd-4abd-80bb-5034.jpg
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/9336cb98-4754-40ec-bfc9-0ade.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/30ef5f5b-d77d-4e69-8711-1aeb.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/edb367d9-23cc-4318-8318-b9fd.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/211cd60d-40a6-4f16-8ccb-c100.jpg

Had me an "Old Style" to celebrate getting the drive train in. Thanks Malcolm! (Nick)
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/0ce940b0-ada1-4a8c-a747-5d53.jpg
Who can't see the pictures? I thought with this new format everything transferred ok. If I have to I can go back and re-load the pictures.
bird55 (6/16/2013)
I like those vented backing plates! What are they from or did you fab them that way. Nice touch, all in the details on these things I think.

Alan, Derrek Boling makes these. He's been selling Lincoln brake kits for years but he just started making these. I think I may have the first set off his line. Maybe. Rolleyes
jrw429 (6/16/2013)
Get an account on the HAMB and sign in, and then the images will show up. www.jalopyjournal.com

Bawhahaha!!! Thanks for that!! I do have a H.A.M.B. account, just don't stay logged in. Would have never have thought that I would have to log into the H.A.M.B. to get pictures on YBF... w00t w00t
By pintoplumber - 11 Years Ago
Tim, I haven't seen any pictures lately. Not since page 6.
pintoplumber (6/16/2013)

OK, I'll re-load.
By aussiebill - 11 Years Ago
mctim64 (6/16/2013)
pintoplumber (6/16/2013)

OK, I'll re-load.

TIM, same here, No pics sofar.
aussiebill (6/16/2013)
mctim64 (6/16/2013)
pintoplumber (6/16/2013)

OK, I'll re-load.

TIM, same here, No pics sofar.

I CAN see the pictures since logging onto the H.A.M.B. w00t w00t
By bird55 - 11 Years Ago
FYI, I've always had the pics?

Again enjoy all your hard work and attention to detail.
By pegleg - 11 Years Ago
Pics did not make it to Indiana.
By Ted - 11 Years Ago

Tim. I initially did not see the pictures that are shared with the HAMB site although I was already logged into the HAMB site. I went back to page 4 of this thread and started working my way forward through the pages and the HAMB shared pictures became visible without doing anything else. Not sure what’s going on in that regard but going back and working forward obviously performed some ‘resets’ to the viewing attributes. On future posts, you might try simply downloading the pictures to the YBF site as you did with the earlier pictures which would allow those people that are not HAMB members to view the pictures and at the same time help the pictures to come up more quickly.

By bird55 - 11 Years Ago
I just now noticed the color choice on the engine block. Cool! 180degrees off of the original color spectrum. I like it!
By pegleg - 11 Years Ago
I dunno what you did, but it worked now!
Got my "new" plates yesterday. Thanks to Todd Jolliff for sending them my way. Too bad they don't say 292. Wink

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/99d04706-4ebc-430f-a3d3-330e.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a9349fcd-8b82-4729-9929-5c1a.jpg
OK, I re-loaded some of the pictures over the last couple of days. I think I got them all but not sure about the body shop photos, can you all see them? I will go back to making separate posts here and on the HAMB, sorry I got lazy and was doing "copy and paste". Tongue
I think the HAMB may have made some changes. I was seeing all of the pictures until the last round. After reading your post I went to sign into HAMB. It had been so long since I logged in I had to change my password. Then I could see them again, and have ever since without logging in again. Chuck

PS I'm getting more jealous all the time! Keep living the dream Tim!
Took a little ride with Mr. Skipper today to Marty's to see how the Model A body is coming along. Still looks the same as the last time I saw it but he assures me the primer is coming on Monday. It was a joy to ride in the "Royal Victoria", everything feels solid in that car and you just feel "Cool" being in it.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/fe73a64d-c85f-4a41-9e2a-43ee.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/ee61e995-4e4c-4ea6-b9a5-31d5.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/fbc111a0-8a0b-479c-8d78-3f81.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/637d4036-85d5-4dc1-9f25-c422.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/0f4fa47d-dbe8-4836-9eb6-83bd.jpg

When I got back home I pulled the chassis out and decided it was time to put a little "time" on it.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/b98000dd-f930-4e67-b066-45d2.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/eecd8e05-87c6-4253-b3e8-e57b.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/fb694614-852d-4519-adef-f0f6.jpg
Yeah, and there's a little video too.

Tim, its looks great! love your work! what brand shifter is that, gennie, lokar ? Thanks. regards bill
By Rono - 11 Years Ago
Tim;

You may have posted this earlier, but are you using the passenger car side engine mounts with the rams horns exhaust?

Rono
Rono (6/23/2013)
Tim;

You may have posted this earlier, but are you using the passenger car side engine mounts with the rams horns exhaust?

Rono

Yes, they are now offset a little forward so the pipe will clear.
mctim64 (6/23/2013)
Rono (6/23/2013)
Tim;

Rono

Yes, they are now offset a little forward so the pipe will clear.

Tim i ran into same problem, in hind sight i should have done the same. what brand shifter is that?
aussiebill (6/24/2013)
[quote][b] what brand shifter is that?

It's a Gennie.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/b977c903-7d8f-40fe-99f7-9a7d.jpg
Got a few more "Update" photos. When the body comes home I should be able to make a driver out of it. Smile

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/31a2b33a-3cd2-410a-a9d3-94b4.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/9478ff88-373f-4014-a616-f216.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/cea5d1a9-4d67-495e-a793-cbd7.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/b9b654a1-eafc-44d1-944a-9dbd.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/73781430-291b-4d1f-8284-37bd.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/2f04b69b-7613-4796-85fe-90a1.jpg

Got some seats too!

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/5b4d0502-0145-47f5-8f36-3afe.jpg
By 57FordPU - 11 Years Ago
Can't wait to see it. SHOT GUN!!!
By landspeedy - 11 Years Ago
Looks great Tim.

That will be a fun ride with a Y block for power.

My #560 was my street car for 10 years with a "warmed over" Y,& it was lots of fun on the street!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By Rono - 11 Years Ago
Looks really good Tim! You are a lot further along than I am on my 37. GOOD JOB!!

Rono
By BIGREDTODD - 11 Years Ago
57FordPU (8/30/2013)
Can't wait to see it. SHOT GUN!!!

I'll be happy to sit in back...say it's for weight distribution...yeah, that's it!
Picking up the body from the paint shop on Saturday. (feeling Giddy) BigGrin
A few more "Teaser" shots.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/254f7079-8b2d-495b-bbb1-4a8c.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/456e871c-9d5c-40a9-ac91-3fe2.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/e206c7c8-e5ad-4c47-8e3f-d927.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/efca0c6e-d0db-4ab3-870e-4b33.jpg
Love the color scheme. Talk about a vintage look Y-block and all. Can't wait to see (and hear) it. Chuck
Well the body did not make it home today as it still needs cut and polish, don't want to rush perfection. Wink It is coming out rather nice and I already have two tentative magazine shoots lined up, so I want it to look Good!

Here's some shots I took today. You can see the color better than in the phone shots that were sent to me.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/6b338994-733f-4a98-b170-41a8.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/9127facb-f538-42ec-85f0-8887.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/2d0499d5-4ac1-4be6-bfd5-678d.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/1b1db172-1cac-45eb-9e03-9687.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/78b98fd1-ce71-4b74-a644-7f16.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/194ef18f-0d37-491e-8d75-68e0.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/c7d7b940-7cda-4598-a30a-245d.jpg

Got the body home this weekend, had a few issues with the paint but it's all working out. Doors and tank are being redone. I'm happy!Smile

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/2267064d-b57d-4153-8939-4ae6.JPG

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/20cccf11-d221-4008-87c4-1890.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/394d4a10-5bdd-4ab8-a018-fed1.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/2438c813-ed4b-40a0-bfab-5fee.jpg

Home safe and sound!

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/22488f52-7ec5-4ce9-9274-e4db.jpg

Lots of work still to do, little parts everywhere! Wiring first.

Here's some pix in the day light. Wink

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a120df65-13c6-4e44-ba8a-40c8.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/27018d6a-403f-498b-b77e-674a.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/09c4b9c7-7ffb-4460-97ec-de6a.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/5836f28a-da1e-42e9-adfc-a3bf.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/36a5aaea-0a13-4385-9522-d2d5.jpg
By Rono - 11 Years Ago
Tim;

Looks AWESOME! What type of paint did you use? Nice to have all those friends around to help. Is that a 9" Ford rear you have in there with the transverse rear leaf spring?

Rono
Rono (9/17/2013)
Tim;

Looks AWESOME! What type of paint did you use? Nice to have all those friends around to help. Is that a 9" Ford rear you have in there with the transverse rear leaf spring?

Rono

Paint is Valspar but the problem was the place that mixed it, Valspar is a good product. And "Yes" to the other two comment/question. Smile
By landspeedy - 11 Years Ago
Tim,

I really like the T shirt you are wearing while loading the sedan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I heard a rumor about those guys! I NEED one of those T-Shirts. Rolleyes Chuck
Car is getting wired no, not too far of from driving it off! BigGrin Over the last week I got lots of little things done. There seems to be a million jobs and you're lucky if you can complete one or two in an evening. Always running around digging for hardware.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/43537448-b57c-4aef-a2f4-b453.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/b9d75072-8a39-4b62-b324-bb4c.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/6d77cba6-6497-4b4a-9f53-e599.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a5950f65-7097-4028-a6c6-ff42.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/ac5dd329-12bd-47f4-b6f2-028d.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/c8e78ba0-f4a7-49ea-bfde-4b57.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/2ffb3602-7bb7-4937-a77d-8174.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/cb8c24d5-44f9-45f7-9245-356e.jpg
By glrbird - 11 Years Ago
Hey Tim

Are you using the orgional style gas tank? Is there a pump or still gravity? You have had a good year, enjoy crusing in the spring weather.
By ian57tbird - 11 Years Ago
Nice work. I like your detailing on the fuel lines. We're not allowed to use copper lines here, as the theory is they will work harden and fracture. Personally I don't think it is an issue, but the powers to be do.
glrbird (9/24/2013)
Hey Tim

Are you using the orgional style gas tank? Is there a pump or still gravity? You have had a good year, enjoy crusing in the spring weather.

Yes, using the original tank and yes there is a pump. That's why you see two lines running down and a pressure regulator. Wink
ian57tbird (9/25/2013)
Nice work. I like your detailing on the fuel lines. We're not allowed to use copper lines here, as the theory is they will work harden and fracture. Personally I don't think it is an issue, but the powers to be do.

Thank you. Copper does work harden but you will notice that all copper lines are rigid and there is a flex line from the firewall to the engine. Should work OK. Smile
Gettin' there!

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/f05366d7-49bf-4af7-a3f5-0dfe.jpg
mctim64 (10/9/2013)
Gettin' there!

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/f05366d7-49bf-4af7-a3f5-0dfe.jpg

Tim, coming along nicely! i will be real interested to hear 1st hand what you have to do to register the car there, can you have no fenders ? we see pics of hotrods there with no fenders and wonder what is the ruling on that, we would love to not have them here but have too.
Very nice and definately old school. All you need now is a blower! Chuck
By Talkwrench - 11 Years Ago
Im with Bill on that one . Would like to here how you guys do it, just walk into a AAA ? We have to have several stages of inspection by an engineer , very involved. And how the hell do you get insurance????
Ohh I forgot to say .. Thats a damn cool ride!!
Sorry to over simplify but the car came with a clear title, pink slip, and I transferred to my name. It's a 1930 Model A Ford and it will be insured as one with hull coverage in the amount I choose. That's all. No fenders, no problem.
Sooo where's the 4 banger??! Damn you guys have got it easy ! If we do any mods to our cars and it falls out of "basic" guidelines the insurance company has a way out.. .No insurance cover! Plus if the cops pull you up and you dont have certifcates of modification, you'll get a red sticker on your car and there it stays!.
Talkwrench (10/10/2013)
Sooo where's the 4 banger??! Damn you guys have got it easy ! If we do any mods to our cars and it falls out of "basic" guidelines the insurance company has a way out.. .No insurance cover! Plus if the cops pull you up and you dont have certifcates of modification, you'll get a red sticker on your car and there it stays!.

The "Banger" is still in the old chassis, thinking of doing something with all of the leftover stuff when this is done. Sorry to hear you guys have so much trouble with reg. and ins. I'm afraid we are headed that way but for now I'll take it like it is.
They do that here to keep it safe from stupid modifications but it is too restrictive a lot of the time. Looking really nice. I like what you've done Tim.
ian57tbird (10/11/2013)
stupid modifications.

There are A LOT of those around here. Rolleyes
By MarkMontereyBay - 11 Years Ago
A local guy here has a very similar ride only with a flathead. According to him the rule in California is if the vehicle weighs 1500lbs or less fenders are not required.
It was a pretty good day yesterday!

It all started with a trip to the muffler shop.

By Hollow Head - 11 Years Ago
Jep, you have definetely painted both doors separately? They seem to be little dark coloured... But, still looking very good!
Hollow Head (10/13/2013)
Jep, you have definetely painted both doors separately? They seem to be little dark coloured... But, still looking very good!

Doors are a bit of a sore subject. They will get fixed! Crazy
oohhh I wanna getz me one of dem y blocks inme pickemup truck !! Tongue

I cant believe that you put it all together so quick.. Great work Tim !
Can't understand how the mismatch occurred on the doors with a straight colour, could understand if it was a metalflake and painted separately.
By Ted - 11 Years Ago

Tim. Congratulations on getting the Tudor on the road so quickly. Looks great.

I'm just having way too much fun now that it's moving down the road!

Its sort of like time travel! The car tracks straight and the Y sounds great. I didn't notice any paint problems as you went by. Smile Give you a great place for a vintage logo. Chuck
Tim

You have the kind of weather that makes a car like that fun all year long. Looks great. What stall is the converter?
glrbird (10/14/2013)
Tim

You have the kind of weather that makes a car like that fun all year long. Looks great. What stall is the converter?

It is pretty nice here most the time, and because of that I think I'm gonna try to do something with the top to keep it open. Wink Converter is a Hughes 2500 stall "Street Fighter".
ian57tbird (10/14/2013)
Can't understand how the mismatch occurred on the doors with a straight colour, could understand if it was a metalflake and painted separately.

The story on the paint is that the first batch had an inperfection in it, I gave the OK on the body but the painter insisted on re-doing the doors. He got more paint and it didn't match (I believe the first color is a little lighter than it is s'poused to be because of the mixing problem) I asked him to lighten it and try again and this is where it's at. I have the old paint and am thinking of trying the doors myself with what's left. Worst case I will not get it right and have to pay someone else, looking at doing that anyway. Ermm
Its best to mix and apply the final coats in one batch to keep these problems from popping up. Maybe a local paint store can do a digital match for the other paint to match it. They are pretty good with that nowadays. As far as the top goes I used to see some around with a snap on cover sort of like a tonneau that covered the top. Easy to roll up and store and there for bad days. Chuck
MarkMontereyBay (10/12/2013)
A local guy here has a very similar ride only with a flathead. According to him the rule in California is if the vehicle weighs 1500lbs or less fenders are not required.

That's correct. Under 1500, no fenders. Problem is if a CHP officer pulls you over and wants "proof". Luckily I had heard of this before. I went to a "Certified Weigh Station" (read DUMP, haha) and carried my "certificate" in the car.
By sd56effie - 11 Years Ago
Great build! what exhaust did you go with?
sd56effie (10/15/2013)
Great build! what exhaust did you go with?

Temporary exhaust for now, just shorty head pipes and 12" glasspacks. It will have a smooth custom exhaust in the end made of U bends and go all the way straight out the back. 2" pipe
Installed some of the interior this weekend and took a few pix. Real happy with how it's coming out. Smile

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/7cf0ce7b-67d6-4e56-bb7b-bd33.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/8eadb61e-5daf-48d3-952e-9969.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/886b8614-e440-4c9b-96e4-8e00.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/e8bcf1c7-5706-46c5-a50e-1ed5.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/232e35ae-3220-421f-8c4f-9a40.jpg
338ci Y-Block Wrapped Up in '30 Model A Tudor
By pegleg - 11 Years Ago
I'd be afraid to drive it, might get dirty!
By Rono - 11 Years Ago
Tim;

Congratulations on getting the Tudor done and on the road. Looks and sounds GREAT! So, what's you next project??

We may be neighbors in the near future...my wife is interviewing for a job in Bishop, CA.

Rono
Rono (11/5/2013)
Tim;

Congratulations on getting the Tudor done and on the road. Looks and sounds GREAT! So, what's you next project??

We may be neighbors in the near future...my wife is interviewing for a job in Bishop, CA.

Rono

Thank you! AV-8 Roadster with a Flatty! Bishop is almost straight due East from us but there's a big range of mountains in between. lol
Rono (11/5/2013)

Rono

Rono, WHOA DUDE!! Talk about shock to the BOD... Bishop's out in the middle of the California upper desert. 110°F in the summer, 20°'s in the winter. ANNUAL precipitation 5".w00t BIG difference from Maine.

There's a reason the population is ~3500...w00t

Luck to you on that move.
By Rono - 11 Years Ago
Yeah...I knoww00t, but it could be an all expenses paid move to get close to the grandkids (in Oak Park). I'm getting too old for plowing snow and cutting firewood.Crazy As long as a get a BIG shop to work in, I can deal with it. "A happy wife is a happy life"Laugh

Rono
By 57FordPU - 11 Years Ago
If it works out, you will have a straight shot down the 395 to El Mirage Dry Lakes. It would be good to see you there and have a little more Y-Block support.

Interior is almost all in now. Also took some Christmas card photos. Hope you like them.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/bd4f50b2-e286-4192-adf9-2bf1.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/d4abe199-0675-48e4-a238-bc44.jpg

Had to trim panels because of the 4" out of the top. Smile

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/ca4b9fe7-9bee-4585-b81d-a54b.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a3477dab-9387-48c7-9d2d-db50.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/d482add2-5590-4eac-bc18-bad5.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/ff96f6ed-2d30-440f-8366-c752.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/501bc7f2-9478-4a20-8342-836e.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/47befb7a-7798-4684-8ee2-5140.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/3e4f69ac-9aa0-46f5-881e-1067.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/3a6ef4bb-6088-4ce4-be21-8ed9.jpg
By bird55 - 11 Years Ago
Really turned out well Tim. I like the Y emblem on the gauge cluster.

Got the carpet in last night too! BigGrin

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/0ccbdc83-f542-4332-aecd-e2e0.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/31a05527-e2fd-4204-ba1b-e540.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/dd17823c-dd79-4fcc-a67a-5332.jpg
Where's the snow in the pictures?
By pegleg - 11 Years Ago
Dennis, They don't need no Stinkin' snow In Caleefoornia. Well, except in the mountains to ski on.Hehe
Here's the view from Main Street in our little Caleefoornia town. Wink

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/fc02ce34-dcc3-4bf8-8657-ee3b.jpg
What kind of tree is in the foreground? It's still green. Now you need to drive up to the mountains for a photo shoot.
pintoplumber (12/21/2013)
Now you need to drive up to the mountains for a photo shoot.

Hmmmm..... not a bad idea.
By pegleg - 11 Years Ago
I know those hills are fun to get a motorhome or Bus through this time of year! Beautiful shot.
The only times I've been there is in summer. Sequoia is one of my favourite parks. Hope to get there again next year.

I've been having a blast in this car!

It's been on the road for a little while now and I may have more than 300 miles on it but from the start it has had a bit of a bounce or vibration when you get it up t0 65+ mph. Couldn't find any place that would balance the "Wide Five" wheels I have on the front so I just lived with it. Well, this week I took it to an old shop in town (been around since 1947) I heard the did balancing on the car. The guy that owns the place did it himself and let me watch, not many places will do that. When it was all done he charged me $40 and I gave him $50 since he walked me through it. Always fun to learn something new.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/5f6bc544-0e54-40a9-9321-a177.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/96777c39-9b4d-42a3-a9a7-44cf.jpg

Love this old alignment rack they have.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/07dd3bac-1f42-4dfb-94db-1d1a.jpg

Now the car will scream down the highway at 80+ without a hint of vibration. And you ought to hear it with the C-4 and 4.11s at that speed.

Took it over to Derrek's to show him and Kleet how it has turned out, took them both for a ride too.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/8bd99569-0e86-4524-966e-5afe.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a3d3ddee-1911-4561-b4e5-0f24.jpg
By Glen Henderson - 11 Years Ago
Tim that (see dan) is killer! Those pic's of the old spin up balancer and alignment rack sure bring back memories, looks just like what I worked with back in the day. Merry Christmas to you and yours, can't wait to see what your next project is going to be.
By Ted - 11 Years Ago
Tim. That wheel spin-up unit for the balancing looks similar to my Hunter wheel balancing unit. I think the similarities end there though as my Hunter unit has a fixture that attaches to the rim so that the amount and location of the imbalance can be located.
Ted, is that the one that has the disks you adjust the weight and location by holding them while the wheel spins? The procedure was to put your head on the fender so you could "feel" when the vibration was gone. Not something you wanted to do with a hangover!
By Ted - 11 Years Ago
glrbird (12/23/2013)
Ted, is that the one that has the disks you adjust the weight and location by holding them while the wheel spins? The procedure was to put your head on the fender so you could "feel" when the vibration was gone. Not something you wanted to do with a hangover!

That’s the one. I never heard of putting your head to the fender though. I simply just watch for vibration at the bumper or fender and turn the knobs accordingly on the balancing ‘head’ that mounts to the wheel.

By ejstith - 11 Years Ago
Tim, have you ever been to the American Graffiti car show in Modesto? If it wasn't all the way across the USA I'd love to go to it. Back in '06 I rode my scooter out there. Spent the night in Bishop and after going across Sonora Pass came back down the 99 & apparently came through your town. Went on to Santa Barbara & up the coast highway to Carmel then to Tahoe & points east... I was 65 at the time & my old Goldwing was 23...

ejstith (12/26/2013)
Tim, have you ever been to the American Graffiti car show in Modesto? If it wasn't all the way across the USA I'd love to go to it. Back in '06 I rode my scooter out there. Spent the night in Bishop and after going across Sonora Pass came back down the 99 & apparently came through your town. Went on to Santa Barbara & up the coast highway to Carmel then to Tahoe & points east... I was 65 at the time & my old Goldwing was 23...

No, I haven't been. Maybe Todd will give me a heads up next time it comes around.

Sounds like a great trip on a bike! At any age. Smile
Ted (12/23/2013)
Tim. That wheel spin-up unit for the balancing looks similar to my Hunter wheel balancing unit. I think the similarities end there though as my Hunter unit has a fixture that attaches to the rim so that the amount and location of the imbalance can be located.

This one had a sensor that went under the axle, it would light the strobe when the vibration hit. Then note the position 180* off on the top of the wheel. Also had a meter to show intensity, as the needle read lower you are getting close, when the light stopped flashing you were on the money. Wink Simple and effective.
By MarkMontereyBay - 11 Years Ago
I learned balancing on those old Hunter spin-up units. Old school journeyman taught me to rest my head on the side of the car and adjust the knobs. Those things were accurate because you can balance the complete rotating assembly, not just the tire and rim. But....they were freakin' dangerous as hell. From the occasional thrown weight to the heart stopping reaction to a rim adapter letting go and climbing the shop wall and ceiling. Trying to balance rear wheels not knowing if the car is traction lock equipped would get your attention.
By mctim64 - 10 Years Ago
Took a nice little road trip to Bakersfield today. Met my friend Bryan, who's re-doing my front seats to trade one for the other, at Dennys for lunch. Car ran great and road nice too, 180 miles round trip taking the back way on SR 65 and even had a stop in Terra Bella to see my cousin and shoot a little video.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/1037e7e6-32cc-40ac-a932-183a.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/6cd25fba-b552-4ab8-a7b8-2e7c.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/26b05963-e268-4ba3-abc9-0fd7.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/1e147be2-ed34-40bb-b31a-eb10.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/3caf5a16-1952-4ae0-abe5-269c.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/45de4910-3633-4f71-b7ef-9b64.jpg
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/af304caf-e26d-4b63-be22-8da2.jpg

This pass is something above 75 (that's where the speedo stops) but the rough road made it a bit of a hand full. Wink

By Park Olson - 10 Years Ago
Just askin' , Tim, have you checked front alignment since the suspension settled in? I know you got wheels balanced.
By Glen Henderson - 10 Years Ago
When are you going to put a top on that (see dan), oh I forgot you live in sunny CA, going to be 12 degrees here in LA tues morning. Betting you don't even have a heater in that thing!
Glen Henderson (1/5/2014)
Betting you don't even have a heater in that thing!

Nope! Smile

Park Olson (1/5/2014)
Just askin' , Tim, have you checked front alignment since the suspension settled in? I know you got wheels balanced.

Yes! Always checking to see what has changed or come loose. I would say I'm still in "Shake down" for at least another few hundred miles.
By Rono - 10 Years Ago
Tim;

Great video and sounds awesome! We are definitely moving to Bishop this summer so maybe I'll be seeing you!

Rono
Rono (1/6/2014)
Tim;

Great video and sounds awesome! We are definitely moving to Bishop this summer so maybe I'll be seeing you!

Rono

You need to head down 395 to El Mirage! That's where the action is. Wink

Here's a few photos of the top and the car out in the open. Finally got some rain hear to clear all the dirt out of the air. Not enough though, it's gonna take a lot more to get us out of trouble. Oh well still having a good time with my Sedan.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/6d97a12e-4c6e-47b4-8a6a-2da0.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/56eaf4a2-f2bb-4aaf-a270-9ce9.jpg

You can see how the wood cleaned up nicely.

Also added my firewall tags.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/8a2a4c30-7da7-4cba-bd85-fdca.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/3b849dd6-cd62-4b43-b245-1254.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/2424e02c-fccd-4ce9-9713-af31.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/de397470-e908-4d54-bb0b-62b1.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/fd811f97-893e-446e-a91a-f851.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/4e59bfb7-d2b2-48f2-a848-2575.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/6479249b-8e85-4aea-8d84-f7a5.jpg

No, I can't see them either. and I can't "edit" to add them. sorry, I tried.
By glrbird - 10 Years Ago
I can see them now! Like the Isky tag. Car realy looks nice, when Ron gets moved you can start your own Y-block car club.
By Rono - 10 Years Ago
Tim;

Pictures look GREAT! I love the detail work you did in the engine bay....I'm a detail guy too. And yes, I'm sure we will "hook-up" when I get to the other side. Question for you on the data plates; The original "Patent Plate" on my 37 was on the driver's side of the firewall. I got a repop Data Plate and had my frame #'s put in and was going to mount it also on the driver's side, but of buddy of mine said that the correct location was on the passenger side like where you have yours. So, I'm confused. Was the location changed sometime after '32?

Rono
Rono (2/3/2014)
Tim; The original "Patent Plate" on my 37 was on the driver's side of the firewall. I got a repop Data Plate and had my frame #'s put in and was going to mount it also on the driver's side, but of buddy of mine said that the correct location was on the passenger side like where you have yours. So, I'm confused. Was the location changed sometime after '32?

Rono

All the Model A pictures I see have it on the passenger side, as for '37 maybe someone else can help.
By mctim64 - 6 Years Ago
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/29d4740c-fc5e-4d93-9fcd-519e.jpg

By Talkwrench - 6 Years Ago
Jealous...