firing order? and setting up the motor

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic69022.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Taff - 12 Years Ago
hi all,

now I have the y block in my galaxie turning fairly freely, my thoughts are turning to getting her running.

to check timing, my instinct is to get the motor to no1 TDC on compression stroke, is this correct? also, which is considered to be number 1 cylinder on these engines, front of the left or right bank?

Thanks agin for your patience, this y-block stuff is all new to a guy who loves chevy straight six's  BigGrin

By paul2748 - 12 Years Ago
No 1 is on passenger side, front. Should have a number on the intake
By Pete 55Tbird - 12 Years Ago
Taff A work of caution as the blokes on this forum do not care for Chevys even the sixes.

Your cars number one cylinder is right front or passenger side LHD car. The distributor rotates counclockwise. The firing order is

1 5 4 8 6 3 7 2 !  THANK YOU AUSSIE BILL.

What have you replaced/renewed and are parts hard for you to get. Good luck Pete

Getting late, sorry

By jonnireb - 12 Years Ago
Yeah, you're right,get no.1 piston at tdc. No 1 cylinder is front cyl. right bank.
By rick55 - 12 Years Ago
Hopefully this little pic makes it all clear

Regards
By aussiebill - 12 Years Ago
Pete 55Tbird (2/26/2012)
Taff A work of caution as the blokes on this forum do not care for Chevys even the sixes.

Your cars number one cylinder is right front or passenger side LHD car. The distributor rotates counclockwise. The firing order is

1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

What have you replaced/renewed and are parts hard for you to get. Good luck Pete

Correct fireing order is 1 5 4 8 6 3 7 2 !

By snowcone - 12 Years Ago
Is there any particular reason why number 1 on the dissy cap has to be near the firewall?

I would have thought you could make number 1 anywhere you liked once the dissy was dropped in at TDC and the rotor was pointing to a position with the points just starting to open.

Just wondering in case I have missed something
By aussiebill - 12 Years Ago
snowcone (2/26/2012)
Is there any particular reason why number 1 on the dissy cap has to be near the firewall?
I would have thought you could make number 1 anywhere you liked once the dissy was dropped in at TDC and the rotor was pointing to a position with the points just starting to open.
Just wondering in case I have missed something

Gary, you can have it pointing anywhere providing no1 tdc and rotor is firing at that plug lead, the fire wall makes a good reference point, but is generally either side of the clip.Smile

By GREENBIRD56 - 12 Years Ago
I don't know where they are "supposed to be"......but if you can end up with number one at front / right center aimed toward the upper radiator entry - then the plug wires are "biased" toward the loom they must enter to go to the LH bank and the RH bank. So 1 - 2 - 3 will be roughly to the passenger side and 5 - 8 - 6 will be on the driver side. Only number 4 and number 7 will have to cross to the loom on the other side. Smile

By snowcone - 12 Years Ago
That's exactly where I have put them.

It was easier to just put no1 at the front and work from there
By Taff - 12 Years Ago
thanks all for the replies, I am heading over there again tomorrow to check her and see if I can't get her to turn over a little free'er.

Bill, I havent had to actually replace anything yet, though my shopping list is steadily growing!! Shipping of parts fro the US is simple but costly, I'm lucky in that i get to work in the states now and again so I stock up on stuff then!!