Profile Picture

firing order? and setting up the motor

Posted By Taff 12 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (50 reputation)Turbocharged (50 reputation)Turbocharged (50 reputation)Turbocharged (50 reputation)Turbocharged (50 reputation)Turbocharged (50 reputation)Turbocharged (50 reputation)Turbocharged (50 reputation)Turbocharged (50 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 10 Years Ago
hi all,

now I have the y block in my galaxie turning fairly freely, my thoughts are turning to getting her running.

to check timing, my instinct is to get the motor to no1 TDC on compression stroke, is this correct? also, which is considered to be number 1 cylinder on these engines, front of the left or right bank?

Thanks agin for your patience, this y-block stuff is all new to a guy who loves chevy straight six's  BigGrin

Cheers, Taff

1959 Ford Galaxie 2dr sedan, 292 (just woken up after a 38 year sleep!)

paul2748
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 16 minutes ago
No 1 is on passenger side, front. Should have a number on the intake

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Pete 55Tbird
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Taff A work of caution as the blokes on this forum do not care for Chevys even the sixes.

Your cars number one cylinder is right front or passenger side LHD car. The distributor rotates counclockwise. The firing order is

1 5 4 8 6 3 7 2 !  THANK YOU AUSSIE BILL.

What have you replaced/renewed and are parts hard for you to get. Good luck Pete

Getting late, sorry

jonnireb
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Yeah, you're right,get no.1 piston at tdc. No 1 cylinder is front cyl. right bank.

55f100

West Monroe,La.

rick55
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Hopefully this little pic makes it all clear

Regards

Rick - West Australia
Do Y Blocks Downunder run upside down? Gravity Sucks!!
aussiebill
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Pete 55Tbird (2/26/2012)
Taff A work of caution as the blokes on this forum do not care for Chevys even the sixes.

Your cars number one cylinder is right front or passenger side LHD car. The distributor rotates counclockwise. The firing order is

1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

What have you replaced/renewed and are parts hard for you to get. Good luck Pete

Correct fireing order is 1 5 4 8 6 3 7 2 !

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

snowcone
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (364 reputation)Supercharged (364 reputation)Supercharged (364 reputation)Supercharged (364 reputation)Supercharged (364 reputation)Supercharged (364 reputation)Supercharged (364 reputation)Supercharged (364 reputation)Supercharged (364 reputation)

Is there any particular reason why number 1 on the dissy cap has to be near the firewall?

I would have thought you could make number 1 anywhere you liked once the dissy was dropped in at TDC and the rotor was pointing to a position with the points just starting to open.

Just wondering in case I have missed something

Gary - 1958 Star Customline and 1940 Ford Deluxe Hotrod

aussiebill
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

snowcone (2/26/2012)
Is there any particular reason why number 1 on the dissy cap has to be near the firewall?
I would have thought you could make number 1 anywhere you liked once the dissy was dropped in at TDC and the rotor was pointing to a position with the points just starting to open.
Just wondering in case I have missed something

Gary, you can have it pointing anywhere providing no1 tdc and rotor is firing at that plug lead, the fire wall makes a good reference point, but is generally either side of the clip.Smile

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

GREENBIRD56
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I don't know where they are "supposed to be"......but if you can end up with number one at front / right center aimed toward the upper radiator entry - then the plug wires are "biased" toward the loom they must enter to go to the LH bank and the RH bank. So 1 - 2 - 3 will be roughly to the passenger side and 5 - 8 - 6 will be on the driver side. Only number 4 and number 7 will have to cross to the loom on the other side. Smile

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9ea2bf28-00c4-4772-9ac7-d154.jpg 
 Steve Metzger       Tucson, Arizona

snowcone
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (364 reputation)Supercharged (364 reputation)Supercharged (364 reputation)Supercharged (364 reputation)Supercharged (364 reputation)Supercharged (364 reputation)Supercharged (364 reputation)Supercharged (364 reputation)Supercharged (364 reputation)

That's exactly where I have put them.

It was easier to just put no1 at the front and work from there

Gary - 1958 Star Customline and 1940 Ford Deluxe Hotrod

Reading This Topic

Site Meter