Dyno results for a 343” Y with aluminum heads.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic61885.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Ted - 13 Years Ago

Here are the dyno results for a 343” Y using a set of Mummert ported aluminum heads.  It’s a 343 incher by lieu of a 3.810” bore and 3.76” stroke.  The compression ratio is 13.25:1 using Diamond popup pistons designed specifically for the aluminum heads.  The camshaft is a symmetrical Isky grind with 263° @ 0.050”, ground on 108° lobe centers, installed at 106½° intake lobe centerline, and 0.592” lift.  The rocker arms are Harland Sharp 1.6:1 roller tipped units assembled on Verne Schumann shafts.  The carburetor is a Holley 780 cfm dbl pmpr which sits atop a 2” tapered carb spacer and a ported Mummert aluminum intake.  Spark plugs are Autolite 3923’s gapped at 0.035” and using a MSD distributor and ignition.  Click the link for the larger version of the dyno sheet.

Link to the dyno sheet

By yehaabill - 13 Years Ago
Ted "Y-GUY"      Will this engine be in anything at Columbus this year?

Bill

By aussiebill - 13 Years Ago
Ted, extremley impressive figures, what fuel do you run in this? thank you. regards bill.Smile
By John Mummert - 13 Years Ago
Another great job Ted!. It will be interesting to see how fast your Y-Block can push Keith's 32 down the salt.
By landspeedy - 13 Years Ago
Ted, I keep re-reading the sheet,mighty impressive to say the least.

I think we will make some believers in the y block @ speed week.

John, thanks again for getting the heads & intake to Ted in time for Bonneville.

Keith

By mctim64 - 13 Years Ago
That's what I need in the Uni next year. Wink
By Ted - 13 Years Ago
yehaabill (8/4/2011)
Ted "Y-GUY"      Will this engine be in anything at Columbus this year?  Bill
Not a drag race engine but a land speed engine.  This one will be in Keith’s ’32 at Bonneville in a week or so.
By Ted - 13 Years Ago
aussiebill (8/4/2011)
Ted, extremley impressive figures, what fuel do you run in this? thank you. regards bill.Smile
This engine was tested using VP 110 octane fuel.  This is obviously not a pump gas engine with the compression ratio being that high.  On a cubic inch basis, this engine is handily outscoring the EMC engine and the compression ratio is responsible for much of that.  The aluminum heads sure makes that power much easier to achieve.  The torque band on this engine is equally impressive.

By Don Woodruff - 13 Years Ago
Man that is pushing a lot of Horse power out of 15/8 headers. Great job.
By Y block Billy - 13 Years Ago
Too blown away to comment Ted!
By yblock32deuce - 13 Years Ago
man, that's impressive. sorry i couldn't be there with you keith, but i'm hanging on every report i get. go keith!!!!BigGrin
By gekko13 - 13 Years Ago
If it's not classified information, are you running 2.0" or 1.88" rods and what length?  If that is privileged info, I understand.  Just wondering about how you arrived at that stroke.  Is that the maximum practical that can be achieved in a Y-block?  ("Inquiring minds and all that.")  Congrats on a very stout piece.
By Ted - 13 Years Ago
gekko13 (8/8/2011)
If it's not classified information, are you running 2.0" or 1.88" rods and what length?  ......  Is that the maximum practical that can be achieved in a Y-block? 
Rod journals are 1.889”.  Rod length is 6.300”.  Maximum stroke thus far with a Y on my end has been 4.000” so the 3.76” stroke was relatively easy.
By Glen Henderson - 13 Years Ago
Damn, sure wish I had thought to print this dyno sheet to take to Panama City with me.
By Fordy Guy - 13 Years Ago
Holy crap Marie, That dyno sheet ought to shut some scrub lovers mouths!!!!!!!!!
By trumanbonner - 13 Years Ago
I don't have any idea. Exactly for what purpose is this dyno sheet used?
By PF Arcand - 13 Years Ago
trueman: It's was a test & reference information for the engine of a Salt Flats/Drylakes race car..