Deposits are now being taken for the next run of aluminum heads.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic44367.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Ted - 14 Years Ago

John Mummert is officially taking deposits for the aluminum heads.  If wanting in on the next production run of heads, then now is the time to send in a deposit.  The number of deposits received by John will dictate exactly what the foundry order will be for raw castings.

John Mummert
With regard to pricing ect. We plan to place an order for head castings around the 1st of June. The more deposits we have, the more castings we will order. Deposits of $1,000.00 received before we order castings will result in a final total price of $2049.00 (1000 + 1049) for 2 assembled heads. Orders received after we order castings will be at a higher price.
By Oldmics - 14 Years Ago
Shipping of the heads to the customers location would be additional up and above the base price-I would assume?

Oldmics

By Ted - 14 Years Ago
Oldmics (5/19/2010)
Shipping of the heads to the customers location would be additional up and above the base price-I would assume?
Yes.  Shipping costs are additional.
I"m in

Oldmics

By John Mummert - 14 Years Ago
oldmics, we appreciate the support we have gotten from the Y-Block crowd.
By Cactus - 14 Years Ago
My check will be to you this week. 
By Jim - 14 Years Ago
John, those heads sure do look GOOD! And 56 HP gain is kinda nice also. Got to see them at Ted's a few weeks ago before he dyno'd them. They will sure spice up a 292.

By PF Arcand - 14 Years Ago
I have no idea what John M is expecting in the way of initial orders or what is needed to make his considerable investment a viable proposition. Hopefully not, but given the economy it might not be a surprise if orders were less than expected. We know that Frank at Rebop Castings has unfortunately had to scale back considerably his operations building "Y" block parts. So, here's a suggestion if I may, although John may have thought of this already. I suggest that he consider running Ads in the Crown Victoria Association newsletter & with the major early Thunderbird Bird clubs.
Paul, response to this point has been good. However, some people having waited since Dove first talked about it in 1995. That's  a lot of pent up demand so I expect it to drop off after the initial surge. Edelbrock experienced this with their 409 heads.

I do get concerned about too much of a good thing. There is a level of demand that we couldn't handle in a timely manner.

Only time will tell when we will need to start looking for other advertizing avenues.

By pegleg - 14 Years Ago
Paul,

John and I have discussed this. He expects it to act as he outlined  in his answer. I tried advertising in the Classic Thunderbird magazine and got absolutely NO response. The Thunderbird folks are more interested in original, numbers matching parts than any reproduction pieces. I had a discussion once with one of the stalwarts of the Pennsylvania Club members. He told me that he needed a blower bonnet, but wouldn't buy one of mine because a club member told him that they were shorter and wider than the originals. He told me that a good judge could spot the repo at ten feet. This interesting because the pattern was copies from Hoosier Hurricanes Factory part. You CANNOT tell the difference between them. I finally sold him one after he compared it to an original. But he told me it was close, but HE could tell the difference! They don't operate on facts, only perceptions. If John's heads don't look absolutely original, 99% of the club members won't buy them. Unlike the guys here, they're not going to modify anything that will affect their cars value., 

By Hoosier Hurricane - 14 Years Ago
Pegleg:

I can tell the difference.  Look inside.  Your name is in there.

How things change.  When I first built my F Bird clone in '79, I only had one bonnet, and it was on my race car.  So I took a similar size chrome aftermarket air filter, hammered the louvers shut and brazed them, added the bump on the back for the vent flap, and the bump on the side for the pressure hose fitting, brazed in an inlet hose nipple, brazed the base onto the top, added a little bondo and some aluminum paint, and put it on the Bird with the repro hose from Don Antilla.  Nobody ever questioned it.  The local club members had never seen an F Bird, they had no clue.  Of course now, thanks to your efforts, I have a correct appearing one on it now.

By DANIEL TINDER - 14 Years Ago
[b]pegleg (5/28/2010) If John's heads don't look absolutely original, 99% of the club members won't buy them. Unlike the guys here, they're not going to modify anything that will affect their cars value.,

Frank,

I'd be surprised if half of the "driver" EarlyBirds out there still had original heads. Combination of poor quality oil, inattentive maintenance, and plentiful availability of inexpensive Y-Block replacement/service heads over they years (that dealers were only too happy to clear off their shelves) means many originals got junked. Aside from from core plug issues re: earlier years, as long as aluminum branding logo isn't obvious, once the new heads are proven & readily available, the same incentive may very prevail. Why trust a machinist to rebuild iron heads and install hard seats, when you can just bolt-on lighter replacements that will improve performance & tolerate higher CRs to boot?
By Larry D - 14 Years Ago
I hate to say it, but I've driven a few of those dead stock EarlyBirds and a couple of them were so badly tuned and maintaned a 6-cylinder would have left them in the dust.

Teapots and dual diaphram distributors may bring in the trophies at T-Bird meets but enjoying what you drive has always been my way of thinking.  Well tuned and running what the factory forgot with a little new technology usually equals better fuel economy and performance.

I don't own anything that's stock and I never will, so my deposit is down for a set of heads that I've been waiting 15 years to hold in my hands.

All I can say is... Thank You John!

By ScottY - 14 Years Ago
You Bloody Ripper!!!!!!!!!!! They're a reality, as said many times, "THANKS JOHN" and i guess Jeff deserves a thank you also, can only imagine the headaches etc you've endured that we've not heard of, so a BIG tHANKS GUYS!!!! Though having said that, a very good coupla friends of mine did go down the same road a few years ago,and had some limited exposure to the ordeal, so i do understand a lil
By ScottY - 14 Years Ago
    Oh, and I just got off the phone with Jeff, and laid down my deposit/support!
By MarkMontereyBay - 14 Years Ago
I take some heat occasionally from the Early Bird purists. I keep mine the way I want it but don't do any modifications that can't be reversed with the original parts that I store in the garage. I don't intend on any body or frame modifications at all. Front disc brakes, sway bars, gas shocks, and cool wheels/tires with the right stance is good for me. I have MSD igniton now and Sanderson headers, a stock 4bbl manifold and Holley or a 573 Edelbrock with 3 94's ready to go. The Tbird clubs are about originality ala Amos Minter, etc. The values of early birds have stayed fairly flat over the decades due to so many that are left and unless you have an F bird that is righteously restored. Most of the people who have these cars are not interested in any performance or changes at all. I have my deposit in for the Mummert heads and will clean up and store the original heads (rebuilt with hardened seats) along with the manifolds, fender skirts, Coker white wall radials, etc. that came with the car when I bought it 15 years ago.
My experience matched Frank's. I advertized in the CTCI news letter for a while and only sold a few 312 rubber rear main seals and neoprene valve cover gaskets.

The other end of the scale is the ratrod crowd. They don't care about originality but they also don't care about performance. Its still all about the look, it just isn't pretty. The engine just needs to be old and noisy.

I did notice in looking at the list of people making deposits that I could only identify 2 as being under 55 years old.

So it will be interesting see where the future interest will come from.

By PF Arcand - 14 Years Ago
Getting back to Frank's comments: I tend to be somewhat of a purist myself,( my 57 car is on a stock collector license plate, where mod's other than safety related are frowned on) however while I'm not a T. Bird expert, I have seen as recently as late last summer, what are apparently original or restored Birds, several in fact, that aren't original in the carburation & distributor areas. My point being that there indignation at using non original parts seems to be selective. And given that some parts are getting harder & harder to get, you would think that good repro parts would be welcomed by Bird owners & others. It strikes me that maybe some of these people need to give their heads a shake...
John Mummert (5/28/2010)

I did notice in looking at the list of people making deposits that I could only identify 2 as being under 55 years old.

Somebodys gotta show those young punks the future-Might as well be the  elder "Y" Block crowd Wink

Oldmics

By Hoosier Hurricane - 14 Years Ago
John:

I think part of the age thing is that the post 55s are no longer making house and car payments and raising kids, so there may be a little more money available for their toys.  I'm sure glad that I'm no longer raising and educating my four kids.

By charliemccraney - 14 Years Ago
No kids and few payments, but I allow myself a limited toy fund and need to spend it wisely.

I'm holding out to see how they compare to ported iron heads. But ultimately, I'll probably wait to see how people modify them and how well they hold up for use with superchargers and turbos, at which point the decision will be made.
By unibodyboy - 14 Years Ago
I would imagine i'm one of the younger guys on this board at 25.  I've been running my Y block since 19.  Although the GI bill is great, and we've made it through 3 undergraduate degrees with no debt, graduate school is keeping us a bit on the poor side.  It will take time, but i'm sure an orders will begin to come from younger guys.  John, I know it would cut into profits a bit, but might you consider becoming an Alliance member on the HAMB? 

My other idea is we could all pitch in and support a set of heads for Charlie that would allow him to set a much higher record in the brick.  Just a thought. 

By mr.uglyduckling - 14 Years Ago
hey now just because we are young doesnt mean we are punks. also as soon as i get the funds together john can expect to be hearing from me about his heads and his intake. HOW ABOUT THEM APPLES?Tongue
By Fordy Guy - 14 Years Ago
I honestly want a new set of JM heads, but I want a great engine under it too, so until I can recuperate from the buildup (and teardown) of this 73 Gran Torino Sport that I wish I would never have started, I will just have to wait. They say good things come with patience so I will get me an engine AND a set of heads some day. I,m only 65 and this is where you find you have more patience than you ever thought possible. I'd add the Torino to my Avatar, but it's not a Y, just a 351 4V cleveland. 
By Grizzly - 14 Years Ago
charliemccraney (5/29/2010)
No kids and few payments, but I allow myself a limited toy fund and need to spend it wisely.
I'm holding out to see how they compare to ported iron heads. But ultimately, I'll probably wait to see how people modify them and how well they hold up for use with superchargers and turbos, at which point the decision will be made.

I'm with you Charlie whilst I'm sure every effort has been made to ensure an excellent product. I know that the next run will correct issues with the first.

There will be information gained on installation, use, porting, timing, tuning etc, etc. One of my biggest cost will be freight to Australia. I'll get them right then ship.   

The comment about age was only an observation about the market base. Actually it was totally expected that there wouldn't be a lot of orders from younger people simply due to the age of the engine.

I wasn't into 50 year old engines when I was in my 20's. Guys in their 20's usually have too many other things to spend their money on and are lucky just to have an old car and keep it running.

The age group that appears to be missing are the 40 somethings. The 2 orders from those under 55 are under 40, I think. But with kids entering college that is a hugh drain on the wallet.

By BFOOTER03 - 14 Years Ago
As an under 40 guy myself BigGrin I will have to agree its more a priority issue.  I really want a set but I had to decide on getting a trailer or heads.  The heads would great but hauling the truck to shows and letting people see a Y block with out aluminum heads is better than having the heads and having the truck just sitting in the garage.  I will keep dropping hints to the better half and maybe just maybe fathers day or Christmas will be extra special this year.    
BFOOTER03 (6/3/2010)
I really want a set but I had to decide on getting a trailer or heads.The heads wouldgreat but hauling the truck to shows and letting people see a Y block with out aluminum heads is better than having the heads and having the truck just sittingin the garage.

But you can drive the truck to the shows with the aluminum heads.BigGrin
By Pete's Panel - 14 Years Ago
I put my name on the forum list of interested purchasers [12 mths ago] but due to changing fortunes the money I had then I don't have now, and with the South Pacific Paso [aus $] dropping close to 10% against the greenback in the last month, plus freight costs, just makes it to expensive at the moment.Crying 
Thr Aussie dollar comes and goes, like the Euro. Well I hope not that bad. Chances are things will be more favorable sometime in the future.

If I could have only got them finished when the economy was good!

By BFOOTER03 - 14 Years Ago
Charlie says

That is very true and trust me if you knew my wife you would find that as hilarious as I do.  Thanks for the laugh Charlie.

By mctim64 - 14 Years Ago
OK, I guess I'll chime in now.  I'm 40 something and remember talking to John about these heads in his old shop about eight years back and like the rest of you I would love to try a set out.  My biggest problem is I just dumped a bunch of money into a dragster Tongue the heads in my opinion look great!  I like the look of the combustion chamber and the sparkplug position especially,  I too would like to know how they compare to a ported "G" head and how much more potential is still in the aluminum head.  I would think in the long run the Mummert head will prevail, it just has too after all the years of work John has put into them.  The bottom line is I hope there is enough orders to make this venture viable, it would be a shame for it to falter now. 
Well..I put my money down on Mummert's heads. Is it possible or ethical to get an updated head (pun intended) count as we approach the cut off date for the first run? For the record I am 63.
By aussiebill - 14 Years Ago
MarkMontereyBay (6/4/2010)
Well..I put my money down on Mummert's heads. Is it possible or ethical to get an updated head (pun intended) count as we approach the cut off date for the first run? For the record I am 63.

Mark and other members, it supprises me not many take the time to fill out some basic details in members area, it is interesting to get idea of members interests, age and history etc. I,m 62 next week!.

I think people are just cautious about providing personal info on the Internet. I updated some stuff on my profile today.
By mctim64 - 14 Years Ago
BFOOTER03 (6/4/2010)

That is very true and trust me if you knew my wife you would find that as hilarious as I do.  Thanks for the laugh Charlie.[/quote]

I would hope you can drive it the way it is now.Hehe

I understand the need for a trailer. As much as I prefer to drive mine, I have not been able to bring it to Columbus 2 of the past 3 attempts due to new parts failures (never old parts). 1 of those 3, it just wasn't ready. Anyhow, if I had a trailer, I would have been able to bring it those 2 times and drive it around, and probably participate in the shootout but I did not feel comfortable driving it 1200miles in those instances. ...and the new parts failures do not seem to stop!
By jepito - 14 Years Ago
My deposit is in and I'm 29.
By Daniel Jessup - 14 Years Ago
I'm 36. Unfortunately the new garage, outfitting the workshop, and putting together the blower engine have put me back a little. And of course, my oldest daughter needed to start the 2 year ordeal for braces!! BigGrin that stuff is expensive w00t

But, I did add to the effort. A fella in Whiteford, MD, used the money I gave him for the 471 heads I just purchased to put a downpayment on the aluminum jobs. He was pretty excited about it when I talked to him. Of course, he was a little "older" than I am and all of his kids are out of the house by now. Me, I still got a 7 year old! Wouldn't change a thing...the kids love what I do and I love spending time with them. One of these days, I imagine my boy will run a Y block powered truck for an every day driver. The two girls? they like Mustangs!

By aussiebill - 14 Years Ago
Daniel Jessup (6/5/2010)
I'm 36. Unfortunately the new garage, outfitting the workshop, and putting together the blower engine have put me back a little. And of course, my oldest daughter needed to start the 2 year ordeal for braces!! BigGrin that stuff is expensive w00t

But, I did add to the effort. A fella in Whiteford, MD, used the money I gave him for the 471 heads I just purchased to put a downpayment on the aluminum jobs. He was pretty excited about it when I talked to him. Of course, he was a little "older" than I am and all of his kids are out of the house by now. Me, I still got a 7 year old! Wouldn't change a thing...the kids love what I do and I love spending time with them. One of these days, I imagine my boy will run a Y block powered truck for an every day driver. The two girls? they like Mustangs!

Dan, as Jerry Christanson says; Keep Spreading the faYth!  Good job.Smile

I think this needs to be said:

There is no need for anyone to justify why they have not purchased a set of heads. I would be a fool if I thought everyone who is on this forum or who is a YBM subscriber would order a set.

Some people are satisfied with the performance they have. Some prefer to port factory heads for there own satisfaction. For many, the expense can't be justified or simply not afforded. Some people might buy a set someday but don't have a project for them now. Some will take a wait and see attitude regarding performance gains and reliability. All of these reasons are understandable.

I don't want this to turn into some litmus test as to a persons standing in the Y-Block community. If you want some and can afford them great, if not, that's okay too.

By pegleg - 14 Years Ago
S'pose ah can get the Government to buy me a set? instead of a house?
Why not? The housing money is about making houses more efficient. These heads make a Y more efficient.

It would be interesting to see how tailpipe emissions compare with the new heads.
By Missouri Mike - 14 Years Ago
     Hi guys............

I'm late to the party (as usual) but I ordered a set of heads from John yesterday, 6/8/10.  It's still not TOO late, so if you're thinking of pulling the trigger call JM PDQ.

I also bought a running ECZ 4bbl motor (supposed to be a 312 but I haven't checked yet) and tranny this past weekend for $300.  Sometimes I almost seem to know what I'm doing.

Best to all

Midwest Mike

We will continue to honor the introductory price until we actually place the order with the core shop and foundry. Still a few weeks away.
By yalincoln - 14 Years Ago
hey john, have you checked on financial backers. sounds like a great tax right off to me. mabey obama can give us a tax incentive to help the y-block comunity. let the oil companys invest in something worthwhile instead of poluteing our planet. mabey you could get GM to invest so they had some compettision at the drags and other racing events. before i go, MOST, 40 yr old guys were already brain washed into thinking the SBC was blessed by god himself and the y-block was dead and bearied, if they even knew what a y-block was. sorry, not trying to start anything, just stating, MY, opinion, thanks, wayne.
By slumlord444 - 14 Years Ago
I belong to the CTCI and also hang out here and modify my car. A coat of red paint and I doubt most concours judges will ever notice the difference. Am considering a set myself.