Y Block Magazine - update concerning transfer of ownership and subscriptions

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic163926.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Daniel Jessup - Last Year
For all of you who subscribe to the Y Block Magazine or are interested in doing so, please know that I have very important information from editor/owner Bruce Young. From a phone conversation today (Bruce is not online and is not a member of the forum) he asked again about my interest in taking over the Y Block Magazine. Bruce's health forces him to resign as he has had much difficulty in getting out issues this past year. He is currently working on issue #173 (originally slated for November/December of 2022). Bruce is looking for someone to take over the all-out effort to keep the magazine afloat. While I would certainly love to do so and at his request have been speaking to him about this for several months, my relocation to California and a new church ministry position will not allow enough time for me to dedicate to the magazine.

If you are a subscriber and have interest, you can contact Bruce Young at home. He does not have a cell phone, but I can give you his home phone number if needed. Just shoot me an email at dan.jessup@hotrodreverend.com.

The situation is dire enough that Bruce relayed to me that he is planning to send partial refund checks out to all subscribers after he publishes his last issue.

By PF Arcand - Last Year
Sorry to hear of Bruce's situation, although I knew that a health situation had occurred. I suspected that continuation of the magazine was in doubt & as a result I deferred  renewal of my subscription of several years.. I'll miss it for sure..      - I wish Bruce well    -  Paul
By Ted - Last Year
I received YBM issue #172 about 3 weeks ago.  In talking with Bruce, issue #173 will have two of my articles as the article slated for issue #172 did not make it into print.  Because Bruce did get behind on the publication of the magazine, I did get ahead here on the articles being readied for submission.  If the magazine is discontinued after issue #173, I will be looking for another venue in which to continue the articles. While my own website is an option, I would rather those articles were in some form of print.  Here is the cover shot of YBM issue #172.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/de5ba4a5-6fca-4706-8cfd-8188.jpg  
By DANIEL TINDER - Last Year
Ted (3/25/2023)
I received YBM issue #172 about 3 weeks ago.  In talking with Bruce, issue #173 will have two of my articles as the article slated for issue #172 did not make it into print.  Because Bruce did get behind on the publication of the magazine, I did get ahead here on the articles being readied for submission.  If the magazine is discontinued after issue #173, I will be looking for another venue in which to continue the articles. While my own website is an option, I would rather those articles were in some form of print.  Here is the cover shot of YBM issue #172.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/de5ba4a5-6fca-4706-8cfd-8188.jpg  

My only real interest in the magazine (25 yr. subscriber) was the tech. articles by Ted, John M., etc.  Occasional Letters-to-the-editor (Jerry, John F. ,Rev.Dan, etc) also of interest.  I would continue to subscribe to any printing of that nature (reprinted website archive text as filler too).

By Joe-JDC - Last Year
Do we have any update on the Y Block Magazine future?  I really miss the builds and information shared in those articles.  I hope someone will step up and take over so that it doesn't just disappear.  Joe-JDC
By Joe-JDC - Last Year
Is there an update on Bruce and the Y Block Magazine?  Did #173 get printed?  If so, how can I get a copy?  I did not get my last subscription copies.  Joe-JDC
By Ted - Last Year
Talked with Bruce yesterday (5/30/23) and he said that YBM issue #173 should be in the mail in 4-6 weeks.  Both health and publishing company issues have caused delays in getting the magazine out.
By dcf1970 - Last Year
Any new updates since May 2023 about Bruce Young and issue #173 of the Y Block Newsletter? 
By Ted - Last Year
dcf1970 (8/20/2023)
Any new updates since May 2023 about Bruce Young and issue #173 of the Y Block Newsletter? 

I talked with Bruce yesterday (Monday 8/21/23) and he said issue #173 was still on the docket to be produced and published. While health issues are slowing Bruce down, the publishing company he was using is also a hang up.  He could not commit to a date for when the next issue of YBM (issue #173) would be in the mail but he said, “Soon as I can”.

By Joe-JDC - Last Year
I don't know about you fellow Y Block owners, but I miss the Y Block Magazine and keeping up with what is happening.  Is there any word on when or if there will be a final printing, or if someone else will take over the task?  I have tried to keep interested in my builds and the Thunderbird, but where I live, I don't see anyone who has an interest in the Y.  I have to drive 3 hours to visit Ted, and the traffic between here and Ted is horrible.  Just wish there was an outlet for good information and exchange besides Facebook.  Joe-JDC
By 55blacktie - Last Year
I'll be 69 years old next month. My 55 Tbird was made 17 days after I was born. I'm not particularly interested in the Model T, or Model A. For that reason, I can understand why someone born in 1983 (or later) would not be interested in Y-blocks. 

Some years ago, I drove my Tbird to a local coffee shop. The bus boy/dishwasher saw the car and asked, "Is that a Corvette?" At least he had enough interest to ask. 
By dcf1970 - Last Year
Does anyone have any new news concerning Mr. Bruce Young and the future of the Y Block Newsletter and even the back issues he had copies of. Would be nice if someone near Mr. Bruce Young could take over the Newsletter and back issues, I like others sure do miss the Y Block Newsletter and enjoyed receiving the newsletter when it arrived in the mail.
By Ted - Last Year
dcf1970 (12/23/2023)
Does anyone have any new news concerning Mr. Bruce Young and the future of the Y Block Newsletter and even the back issues he had copies of. Would be nice if someone near Mr. Bruce Young could take over the Newsletter and back issues, I like others sure do miss the Y Block Newsletter and enjoyed receiving the newsletter when it arrived in the mail.

Great timing on your question.  I just talked with Bruce Young on Friday (12/21/23) and he did say that the next issue is almost ready for the publisher.  He’s thinking either this coming week or the first week of January for issue #173 to be in the publishers’ hands.  Bruce did mention that the next issue will be 40 pages.

After that issue is in print and in the mail, then the following issue (#174) will be the last issue for the YBM.  I have submitted a lengthy article for that issue but not aware of what other articles will make that issue.  If any of you have been contemplating writing an article, this is the time to do it and send it to Bruce.  An influx of articles could potentially speed things up and/or make for yet another issue.
By dcf1970 - Last Year
Thank You for the latest information. Any information on what will happen to the back issues he has available. I sent a check for back issues in July 2023 and have not received any back issues or the check returned? 
Respectfully a loyal Y Block fan.
By Ted - Last Year
dcf1970 (12/28/2023)
Thank You for the latest information. Any information on what will happen to the back issues he has available? I sent a check for back issues in July 2023 and have not received any back issues or the check returned? 
Respectfully a loyal Y Block fan.

You don’t mention if the check has been cashed or not.  If not cashed, then there’s the possibility of it being lost in the mail or misplaced.  If cashed, then contact Bruce and let him know that you have not received your back issues.

By KULTULZ - 4 Months Ago
It would be a shame to lose all of the collected information over the years if the magazine does go out.

The same with the 1954 FORUM that shut down. As far as I know, none of that was saved. Years and years of collected/saved knowledge lost.
By charliemccraney - 4 Months Ago
Since Y-Block Magazine is in print, the information won't be lost but it will be more difficult to acquire when Bruce can no longer do it and if no one is able or willing to continue with it.  A digital archive would be invaluable, if it could be arranged.
By KULTULZ - 4 Months Ago
A digital archive would be invaluable, if it could be arranged.

That's exactly what I have been thinking (watch out).

If a person attempted to buy all available back issues, it would be $$$. I would be more than willing to pay a fee if it was available digitally.
By Ted - 4 Months Ago
As far as digitalizing the issues, I have many of the back issues here if there is someone out there wanting to do that.

Received a call from Bruce this week and he mentioned that the next issue of the YBM (#173) is now at the printer.  He is thinking that this upcoming issue will be ready to mail during the first week of February (2024).  It will be forty pages.  Plans are still in the works for issue #174 and while I have already submitted a lengthy article for that issue, I am currently working on an additional article for that issue also.

By Robs36Ford - 4 Months Ago
I have a scanner and willing scan, but I am in Canada.
By Ted - 3 Months Ago
Just received YBM Issue #173 in the mail.  Counting the cover pages, it’s a total of 40 pages in this issue.  As a FYI, the next issue (#174) will be the last scheduled published issue but looks to be in the 50-page range.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/49dc4936-3e3e-493f-a614-ab71.jpg