Y-Block Magazine

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic161607.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By PF Arcand - 2 Years Ago
Due to Computer & other issues I haven't been on here recently.. Is the magazine back up regularly?  I was supposed to get an e-mail from Bruce Young re my now expired subscription status, some time back, but never heard from him.. So wondering what the situation is?.. 
By Daniel Jessup - 2 Years Ago
Bruce is running behind on getting out the issues, but I think much of that is due to his hospital stays earlier this year at three separate locations. The latest I have is issue #169 dated for March/April. I do know that in that issue he made another call for articles from subscribers. I am trying to help with that somewhat by sending him a couple concerning the Y Block Shootout and then my own work on installing an E4 and the results of all of that. From what I understand, he checks his email at the local library right now, so getting a response from him quickly is out of the question. The man is old school - he does his best work over the phone and is willing to talk to anyone who gives him a phone call. If you need his number, I can send you a private message. 

Maybe some of the guys here online would consider submitting an article as well? usually a MS Word document or a PDF is all Bruce needs to go on...
By Ted - 2 Years Ago
I received YBM issue #169 about three weeks ago.  When I last talked to Bruce Young he mentioned that he was in desperate need of articles for the magazine.  If any of you have any articles you would like to submit, by all means send them to Bruce.  Even a one or two page article would help.  Those articles can be a stroll down memory lane or they could simply deal with a ‘how to’ project recently performed on your car.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/25f552b9-68d3-47ae-b840-3b80.jpg  

I just sent another article to Bruce recently for the next upcoming issue and currently working on a series of articles to be published after that.
By Cliff - 2 Years Ago
Hi, what format would Bruce like?
By Ted - 2 Years Ago
I send my articles in the ‘Word’ format.  While I do send a hard copy of the article, I also include a CD disk with the actual file in case the publisher needs to move stuff around.
By 55Vicky - 2 Years Ago
I believe Bruce just celebrated his 81st. birthday...
By paul2748 - 2 Years Ago
I got the latest one today (9/23)
By panel driver - 2 Years Ago
I really like the magazine. Tons of great information and articles. I sent in my last renewal with my new address
never got any magazines.  
By PF Arcand - 2 Years Ago
I've been off here recently due to computer & other issues, (some might say, that's not a bad thing...) Anyway, my YBM subscription expired some time back.  In & around the time the Editor/Publisher, Bruce Young, encountered  serious health problems.  What is the current situation with the the publication ?
By Ted - 2 Years Ago
panel driver (9/24/2022)
I really like the magazine. Tons of great information and articles. I sent in my last renewal with my new address
never got any magazines.

Usually takes 6-8 weeks for the YBM issues to start coming once you subscribe.  Received an issue yet?  If not, then it would be worth giving Bruce a call.

In talking with Bruce recently, the upcoming issue (#171) was at the printer so it’s likely close to being mailed out if it hasn’t already.  I have already sent to Bruce an article for issue #172 and the article for issue #173 is almost completed.  I’m actually ahead of the curve right now for getting articles done.

Bruce Young is always in need of articles for the magazine so if you have any stories or projects, put those into print and send to him.  You need not be a subscriber to get an article into the magazine.

Here’s a cover shot of the last issue (#170).
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4cffe974-520b-4fee-8912-0c2f.jpg  

By DANIEL TINDER - 2 Years Ago
Ted,
While ‘I’ am not likely to be capable of producing a viable tech article myself, I DO have an extensive library of old Y-Block related magazine issues.  I WOULD send something to Bruce to supplement his need for material, but worry not only about reproduction copyright restrictions, but also data obsolescence.
Plus, it has occurred to me that though Bruce likely still has back issues to sell, some of YOUR excellent past submissions could probably be justifiably reprinted, especially those early ones most likely to be lost from memory, and based on basic principals unlikely to vary with time/progress (?).
So, any suggestions re: contemporary relevance/etc. (former issue), and contemplation (the latter) might be appropriate?
Dan
By Ted - 2 Years Ago
Total agreement in that some of my past articles submitted to the YBM would be candidates for being reprinted.  Not sure how the majority of subscribers would feel though about articles being recycled.  If the articles went far enough back, republishing probably would not be a problem though.  If there was any one set of articles I would like to see reprinted, it would be my series of articles on engine balancing as those were informative at the layman’s level while still being in-depth.  Those particular articles are on my website so a reprint of those is not necessary just to get them back out to the forefront.

On my end, I still have over a years’ worth of articles in mind so I don’t see reprints of my own older articles being necessary.  As far as reprinting articles from other magazines, I see copyright problems and I’m sure Bruce is well aware of those problems so we’ll not go there.
By DANIEL TINDER - 2 Years Ago
The ‘balancing’ articles were more targeted toward those with experience/ambition re: ground-up engine building.  I thought the most relevant past Y-Block Mag. submission for the layman shade-tree tinkerer were those about valve gear geometry (though I can’t remember whether the author was you or John).
As far as authoring a tech. article myself, I likely ‘missed the boat’ years ago when I concentrated on measuring/selecting the best bell housing for my manual trans.  The gathering & utilization of precision tools/parts (with photos) would likely have been of interest.  Eventually though, I realized I would probably never live long enough to wear out the transmission, regardless of which bell housing I ended up using.😁
By charliemccraney - 2 Years Ago
It doesn't have to be a tech article.  There have been plenty of articles which are stories about personal experiences related to the Y and the vehicles.
By Tealy64 - 2 Years Ago
I feel like this is a good opportunity for my wife to stretch those article writing muscles and document our first time experience with a y-block.  if she's down for it, will someone on here be able to give me the editor's info?
By Daniel Jessup - 2 Years Ago
Bruce Young's email address is yblockmag@yahoo.com. He does not check his email often, and he does not have a cell phone. He called me again a little over a week ago to discuss the magazine and how he has had trouble getting out the issues lately. Bruce has contacted me me now several times about his desire to hand the whole thing over to me. That is a big commitment with large shoes to fill.

I have promised to make a trip to Ottawa, IL to look things over and make a final decision on whether or not I can take the magazine. Having just cleaned out my office where I have been over the past several years I will have some time on my hands for the next few months. The fellas in our print shop have already been helping me with cover designs and all the rest. That is all I think I can say for now - none of us want to see the magazine go down the tubes, Bruce has been at it for almost 30 years and has stayed with it through thick and thin, and many of us would like to see the magazine make a resurgence.

Bruce's landline phone number is (815) 433-1393 and his address is Y Block Magazine, PO Box 1005, Ottawa, IL 61350. 

I will not be able to get with him until after the holidays.
By Tealy64 - 2 Years Ago
Thanks Daniel.  I'll talk to her about it and see if it's something that she's game for, then maybe we'll reach out to you and Bruce about doing an article or something?   We'd love to be more involved in the "scene", to learn and grow and share.