For Sale - 12 VOLT STARTER WORKS PERFECTLY

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic159469.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By alanfreeman - 3 Years Ago
I HAVE A 12 VOLT STARTER COMPLETE WITH THE STARTER DRIVE THAT I WON'T BE NEEDING.  IT WORKS PERFECTLY AND THE ONLY REASON I AM SELLING IT IS THAT A '54 FORD THAT I BOUGHT HAD BEEN UPGRADED TO 12 VOLTS BUT I AM RESTORING THE CAR AS ORIGINAL AND GOING BACK TO A 6 VOLT SYSTEM.  SOLD!!!
$50.00 + $22.65 SHIPPING.  EMAIL ME AT: alanfreeman54@gmail.com IF INTERESTED.  THANKS
By PF Arcand - 2 Years Ago
Alan; like you i'm inclined to leave a good original car as is, but is it that, or a special model?    Because the 12V system won't change the appearance much & is obviously more convenient, especially in the event of any trouble.  If it was a very rare & valuable vintage parade car, say, it might be worth the expense & effort.    Anyway, if the setup is
o.k. I doubt it will make the car more saleable if that matters.. Just my thoughts..

By alanfreeman - 2 Years Ago
Hi Paul.  It is a '54 Mainline Tudor "P Code" police car that I am building as a California Highway Patrol cruiser.  Alan
By 312YBlock - 2 Years Ago
You might want to hold on to the 12V parts in case you have a case of 6V remorse.
By 55blacktie - 2 Years Ago
I did not have to swap out my 55 Tbird's starter when converting to 12V, and it works just fine. 
By Florida_Phil - 2 Years Ago
My 55 Tbird has it's original six volt starter. My car was converted to 12 volts before I bought it four years ago.  That six volt starter works like a charm and has never given me any trouble. 
By DryLakesRacer - 2 Years Ago
I believe Alan is going in the opposite direction. I’m not sure how well a 12 volt starter will work on 6 volts…
By alanfreeman - 2 Years Ago
Yes, DryLakes, you are correct.  These 6 volt starters are really tough and they will not burn out on 12 volts.  However, I tried the 12 volt starter on 6 volts and it would barely turn the engine over so I installed a 6 volt and sold the 12 volt. I doubt that I will have "12 volt remorse" as I am a "purist" and prefer the Fords as Henry built them.  Alan