55 Thunderbird Tachometer Question

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic155240.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By 312YBlock - 3 Years Ago
My stock tachometer needle sits at 100 with the engine off. Does anyone know if that throws it off by 100?
By paul2748 - 3 Years Ago
Have you tried disconnecting the drive and see if it goes to zero?  Maybe something in the cable.
By miker - 3 Years Ago
It's been a long time since I replaced the faceplate on my tach, nearly 20 years. But I don't remember the faceplate indexing to the gauge . I had to line it, the tach and the housing in the bezel to set the pointer at "0". Then redo it when I seated the bezel in the dash till I got it right. Jog anyone's else memory, or is this a foggy detail from another car?

FWIW, I didn't have the tach rebuilt, and it still reads within as close as you can tell with the rpm output the EFI shows. So it's accurate.
By FORD DEARBORN - 3 Years Ago
Indicating 100 rpm would be barely off the 0 mark. I would attach a good service tach and compare that to your original tach.   + or - 100 rpm's is probably the the best these mechanical tachs will provide.
By 55blacktie - 3 Years Ago
Most tachs, whether electric or mechanical, are not dead-on accurate. Some are close, but others are way off. If you're within 100 rpm, regardless of road speed, I would say you're doing pretty well. 
By yblock57 - 3 Years Ago
Not trying to throw off topic, but does the mechanical tachs in the early birds have a place to lube? Something similar to the speedometer head? Mine is making intermittent noise. Cable has been replaced and lubed correctly.
By paul2748 - 3 Years Ago
Yes - it's at the top of the gauge if I remember correctly.  May have to remove it to get at it.  I had to.  Use alight oil, like 3 IN 1

yblock57 (3/8/2021)
Not trying to throw off topic, but does the mechanical tachs in the early birds have a place to lube? Something similar to the speedometer head? Mine is making intermittent noise. Cable has been replaced and lubed correctly.

By yblock57 - 3 Years Ago
paul2748 (3/8/2021)
Yes - it's at the top of the gauge if I remember correctly.  May have to remove it to get at it.  I had to.  Use alight oil, like 3 IN 1

Thank you sir!