NEW Holley Slayer Series Carb 450CFM VS

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic153004.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Rudder2fly - 4 Years Ago
I need suggestions on my pop back thru carb coming off idle with FOM in drive? MSD 8383 Dist with 12 degrees advance, ISKY E-2 cam at 17 degrees crankshaft advance, Fuel pressure not within Holley spec of 6-6 1/2 # I am at 3-4 # with mechanical pump. Fuel levels in site glass at idle are where they are suppose to be. Idle RPMS set a little high at 900 since this is a A/C car. I have taken all the slack out of carbhttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/75473a14-67b6-44ce-979b-b343.jpg pump arm. Motor does not diesel on shut down. The low speed set screws are responsive and set 1/2 turn out at 16 in. of vacuum. Engine in good condition as has fresh rebuild. Carb is excellent once off idle and at Hwy speeds. Holley Part # SL-450-VS.
By Cliff - 4 Years Ago
That carb is a little small, you need to work on the accelerator pump curve, a 3310 Holley is a better choice
By PF Arcand - 4 Years Ago
"Holley Slayer" ?!  What is that?  Is that a reference to a  Summit carb or?
Holley touts this new Quick Fuel Technology. Made in Bowling Green Ky. Go to their web site and check the part number. All I can say the motor pulls as hard as any Y-Block I have ever owned. I like it!!!
I will work on pump delivery. I was thinking not enough fuel might be the problem.
By 62bigwindow - 4 Years Ago
With your combo the 450 sounds a little small. My engine is similar to yours and I'm running a Quick Fuel Sl-1957e 600 cfm. I'm far from a expert but it sounds like it may be a lean issue. Have you looked at your plugs?
By Lord Gaga - 4 Years Ago
Is your cam really at 17 deg. advance? You degreed it? That's your problem I'd say.
Isky called for 15 1/2 degrees advance was 1/2 under and I added 2 degrees to put the cam at 17. Per degree wheel.
Haven't done the plug check. Just removed a 3X2 set up that I finally got tired of tweaking so would have to change plugs for a better look.
By charliemccraney - 4 Years Ago
Could you have misunderstood ignition advance for cam advance?
Charlie, I hope that I did not. Have not changed the timing 12 Degrees at the distributor when 3X2 set up was on the motor. No pop back on that set up. The crankshaft advance was spot on with ISKY specs. If I had a manual choke I would try to change the air mixture with the choke blade to see what happens. I don't know what I can do yet with the carb pump arm to get more fuel if that's the problem? In this hot weather I am having fuel boil out causing flooding on restart. I have a fiber spacer to put between carb and intake but installed yet.