Crankshaft rear oil slinger

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic152084.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By MattsY - 4 Years Ago
Just curious if anyone has ever seen this before. After getting my crank back from the grinder and attempting to drop it into the block...it wouldn't go in. I thought maybe he made a mistake as I was cutting a 312 crank to fit a 292 block and offset grinding the stroke to 3.500". When I brought it back he said he couldn't understand why it wouldn't drop in, so we tried it in another block he had in the back and wouldn't you know it, it dropped right in! In looking at the block he had in the shop I knew immediately the receiver groove for the oil slinger was not the same as my block, so I went home to investigate and here is what I found.....
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/5ac56501-a1d5-4667-ae64-0e61.jpg
By Daniel Jessup - 4 Years Ago
what did you find? a star and a thumbs up lol? seriously - looks like a photo is missing...
By MattsY - 4 Years Ago
Sorry all! For some reason the forum will not let me post a picture. Basically, the receiver groove in my block was cut with a very prominent "step" that prevented the crank from dropping in. I had to cut down the oil slinger to get it to fit. This is a Ford Industrial engine that traces back to an Onan generator. Could this have something to do with it?
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/a85d34d2-b111-4286-a4d5-989b.jpg
By MattsY - 4 Years Ago
The site keeps telling me "cannot load content at the moment"
By MattsY - 4 Years Ago
Fixed it! Couldn't pull images from my phone. Sorry 'bout that! 

By Ted - 4 Years Ago
What is the casting number and date code on the block?  Many of the 1954/1955 blocks were not machined to accommodate the crankshaft oil slingers.  Those particular blocks do require crankshafts that do not have crankshaft oil slingers.
By MattsY - 4 Years Ago
It's a C2AE block, not sure on the date. I do knowthe crank that came out if it did in fact have the slinger, but it's diameter was about .200" smaller than the 312 crank I'm using.
By Ted - 4 Years Ago
The date on your C2AE block is December 11, 1963.

The O.D. on the 312 crankshaft slinger is larger than that of the 292 oil slinger.  When cutting down the 312 mains down to the 292 size, the O.D. of the oil slinger must also be cut down to the appropriate 292 size.
By MattsY - 4 Years Ago
Gotcha! Obviously, the grinder didn't do that. Fortunately, I have a lathe large enough and did it myself. Took it down to the diameter of the original and it fit like a glove!
By blocky - 4 Years Ago
that is very interesting . thumbs up
By 30 coupe - 4 Years Ago
Did you rebalance the crank, or do you think not enough taken off to make a difference?
By Ted - 4 Years Ago
Machining the OD of the rear oil slinger by itself will not necessitate any additional rebalancing of the crankshaft.  Changing the rods and/or pistons where the weight of those is different from stock does require the crankshaft to be rebalanced.
By MattsY - 4 Years Ago
No, no rebalance. Minimal material removal, but necessary material removal!