Is there a 56 radiator with a trans cooler bult in

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic151346.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By junkyardjeff - 4 Years Ago
When I put the 351/C-4 in my 55 I stuck the trans cooler on the radiator,a bunch of debris got caught between the two and it got hot on the last trip to Florida and lost third gear. I am wanting a stock looking radiator so was there one in 56 that had a cooler.
By cokefirst - 4 Years Ago
Mid year 1956 Ford changed from the air cooled Fordomatic to the water cooled version with the cooler in the bottom of the radiator.  You need to find a radiator for a 56 Ford that is late with the trans cooler in the bottom.  Mac's antique auto parts carries them,  This is the part number  
49-28813-1

By Ted - 4 Years Ago
Another option is to just upgrade to a modern aluminum radiator.  I put one of the Champion radiators in my ’55 Ford and it does have transmission cooling capability built into it.  It was a bolt in so no problems at all with it and it did get rid of that 'prone to leaking' expansion tank design that was on the original radiator.
Can a aluminum radiator be painted,they just do not look right in a older vehicle to me.
By oldcarmark - 4 Years Ago
I painted mine using Hi Temp Bar-B-Q Paint. Use Vinegar to clean Tank first.Gives better adhesion for the Paint. If You didn't know You would not notice that the Rad is Aluminum.
By charliemccraney - 4 Years Ago
Here's a link to their '54-'56 car offerings.

https://www.championradiators.com/Ford-Cars-1954-1956-radiator

Paint will make it stand out less but it still looks aluminum, with all the welds and overall "fabricated" appearance.
I might consider a aluminum radiator since its less then 1/2 of the regular version and paint it,I will look into one when the 272 and 62 COM is about ready to go in.  When I stuck in the 351 I used six brackets on the V8 radiator to get more room for a fan and definately not going to have one without a trans cooler after getting the trans hot on the last trip to Florida.