57-60 distributors

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic150503.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Dave V - 4 Years Ago
1957-1960 distributors in excellent condition. gone thru and ready to use. $150 each. Dave 262-903-3880
By PF Arcand - 4 Years Ago
"Gone thru".. Does that include replacing the upper bushing?  It's the most common worn item in those distributors, causing variances in spark "dwell readings." More than 3 degrees  would not qualify as "gone thru"..  Thanks       
By Dave V - 4 Years Ago
there is no side play. I even pulled them apart to check. No problems there
By B-rad - 2 Years Ago
Would you know if this is the distributor I need on my 54 Lincoln 317? I might want to switch from the stock carb and understand that I have to get a newer distributor too
By Dave V - 2 Years Ago
These came out of Ford Yblocks. Not sure if they are the same as Lincoln
By 55blacktie - 2 Years Ago
B-rad, the 1954 239 Y-block distributor gear does not have the same number of teeth as the 55-up distributors. The same might apply to your 317 Lincoln. It's also possible that the 317 has a taller deck height. I would not buy one of Dave's distributors until you're sure it will fit your application.
By B-rad - 2 Years Ago
I thought I heard that a 57 and up would work, although I would have to swap out the gear. Hoping to get a definitive answer as to what distributor I should look for
Here's another issue to contend with: the 55-up Y-block distributors use a hexagonal distributor driveshaft. Earlier distributors did not. Swapping distributors, in this case, would also require swapping oil pumps as well. 
By Ted - 2 Years Ago
B-rad (6/22/2022)
Would you know if this is the distributor I need on my 54 Lincoln 317? I might want to switch from the stock carb and understand that I have to get a newer distributor too

Your question would get more traffic as a new post in the technical section and not the classifieds.

The Ford Y distributors will work on the Lincoln Y engines providing the distributor gears are changed out.  The 1954 FYB and LYB distributors do use a slotted oil shaft versus the 1955 and newer distributors using a ¼” hex shaft.  If trying to retain the original slotted oil drive, then you would need the 1954 Ford/Merc FYB distributor and not the later model one.

If wanting to upgrade the distributor to something newer than the original Load-O-Matic then the oil pump and oil drive can be changed out to the hex drive types and any 1957 and newer Y distributor can be made to work.  I have been told that the LYB distributor gears are the same as the 352-390-428 FE Ford engines but I have not verified that.

By B-rad - 2 Years Ago
The oil pump and drive needs to be a Ford or lincoln? Someone is selling a 4v intake from a 63 f600. Do you know if that'll work on my LYB?
B-rad, Topic 148025 should answer your question.
In all probability, the 1963 F600 engine is a 292; the intake won't fit your 317. However, if the F600 has a 332 (unlikely), the intake will fit. An easy way to determine is by asking the seller to send a photo of the intake ports; if they're stacked, it's a 292.
By B-rad - 2 Years Ago
I asked the seller for pic and cu in info. I tried looking up the topic number but couldn't find it
By B-rad - 2 Years Ago
Can someone please answer this question....
When I look for the hex drive oil pump, would that be a Ford or lincoln or either? Must be from/for a 8 cylinder?
That's so I can change from original distributor to the 57 and up. Would that distributor be Ford or lincoln or either? From 8 cylinder?
By miker - 2 Years Ago
Here’s a very old post on the HAMB regarding these engines and the limited interchange. 3 pages, I didn’t read the whole thing. But post #18 addresses the oil pump. Probably good info further down.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/running-y-blocks-lincoln-engines.206174/
By B-rad - 2 Years Ago
Thanks Miker, there is a lot of good info there. People kept telling me a 57 or newer distributor or intake but I didn't know if I should look for Ford or lincoln. Now I'm writing stuff down for easy retrieval. Lost a lot of good info I was given on here, unable to find it again. I hope to connect with a couple of LYB afficianatos I was told of on here. This is my first car rebuild, guess I picked an odd ball.
By PF Arcand - 2 Years Ago
For help, go to the members list & look for RB.  you may be able to e mail him re Lincoln stuff.  He may even have a 4 Bbl intake available..