292 Y-Block crank spacer

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic147739.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Lawrence Petty - 5 Years Ago
Does anyone have the spacer that goes in front of the oil slinger on the crankshaft ... or know where to buy one
By 57RancheroJim - 5 Years Ago
I've never seen a spacer on any Y block I've worked on. FE's have them
By oldcarmark - 5 Years Ago
Lawrence Petty (8/27/2019)
Does anyone have the spacer that goes in front of the oil slinger on the crankshaft ... or know where to buy one

If You are going by the Shop Manual I believe its an Error. The Picture shows what  looks like a Spacer and Mentions One in the Text but there is no Picture of the Oil Slinger in the Illustration. I think that "Spacer" shown in the Picture was supposed to be the Oil Slinger. The Snout of the Harmonic Balancer holds the Slinger in Place against the Cam Gear. The Camshaft has a Spacer and I think the 2 got mixed up with Crankshaft.
By patm - 5 Years Ago
The spacer may be for the 1954 Ford with the 239 without power steering. Once in a while I see these appear on Ebay.

Pat in AZ.
Drawing for Y-Block Crankshaft Assembly 1955 - 1962 shows oil slinger #6310 and spacer #6700 ... then harmonic balance.  When I pull oil pan and look back at front end of crank assembly it appears oil slinger up against timing cover - would think a spacer would take care of this.  Crank turns OK when I take harmonic balance off and then turn it with bolt/washer.  Some say oil slinger takes place of spacer, but that's not what the drawing shows and others just a spacer.  Anybody have any ideas, or even what the thickness of the spacer is suppose to be ... would like to finish this assembly correctly.  HELP
6700 is the Timing Cover Seal. 6310 is the Oil Slinger. Keeps Oil off the Seal to better prevent Leaks. Sometimes the Slinger gets missed when re-assembling Engine. It was missing on mine.http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/1aece79d-c6d8-4b87-b73b-5030.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/79525729-9e3a-4a40-880a-f3ce.jpgI don't see a Spacer listed for Y Block.
By charliemccraney - 5 Years Ago
I think Mark answers the question.

A spacer would either not move the slinger at all or move it closer to the timing cover, not away.  It would also change the position of the pulley, causing problems with belt alignment.
Lawrence Petty (8/28/2019)
Drawing for Y-Block Crankshaft Assembly 1955 - 1962 shows oil slinger #6310 and spacer #6700 ... then harmonic balance.  When I pull oil pan and look back at front end of crank assembly it appears oil slinger up against timing cover - would think a spacer would take care of this.  Crank turns OK when I take harmonic balance off and then turn it with bolt/washer.  Some say oil slinger takes place of spacer, but that's not what the drawing shows and others just a spacer.  Anybody have any ideas, or even what the thickness of the spacer is suppose to be ... would like to finish this assembly correctly.  HELP

It may look look the Slinger is against the Timing Cover when Damper is installed but there is room between the Slinger and Cover. Don't need much Clearance but there is enough. Unless the Slinger is Bent. Try assembling with Pan off and Damper installed. Turn it over by Hand.
By KULTULZ - 5 Years Ago
The SPACER you are wondering about (was separate on 1954 EBU 239CI) was incorporated into the harmonic balancer assy for 1955/ production.

If for some strange reason the engine has an early 239CI balancer, GOOGLE B4AZ 6359-A for the Service Replacement.

The spacer is part of the balancer. Measure it out to be sure of what you have.

ADD INFO-

The balancer will have the spacer built in. When the balancer is installed, the slinger will be pressed tightly against the crank driven gear (6306). See where the incorporated spacer in the below photo shows wear from the front seal?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/ef0ef735-09ca-455d-8df9-7d14.jpg
That drawing is misleading and in one place states its a spacer, not a seal.  Pan off, slinger installed and crank turns without the balancer.  Put on balancer and cannot turn crank even if I get it to torqued to specs.  Appears to be 3-7/64" length on crank end to slinger and 3-21/64" on inside of harmonic balancer ... thats 7/32" difference, so maybe harmonic balancer is getting torqued too tight against crankshaft sprocket gear.  Still puzzled on what to do to get crank to turn with harmonic balancer installed to torque specs.
By KULTULZ - 5 Years Ago
Let's start over. You know you have a 292. What is it out of, a PASS CAR or TRUCK? What year?

You may have a parts mis-match
By charliemccraney - 5 Years Ago
Torquing the balancer too tightly will not cause this.  It's steel sandwiched between steel.  Nothing is going to compress by any measurable amount to cause this.

With it tight, check pulley alignment. Also check pulley width.  Early engines use 1/2" belts and later ones use 3/8" and the pulleys will be sized to match.  You can see the width difference in the picture Kultulz posted.  If the pulley is not aligned or the width does not match, then it could be the wrong balancer or it could have been altered for some reason in the past.
Make sure the damper is not hitting something on the outside of the engine, a bolt or stud that's too long a bracket, a tool you forgot about that's getting sandwiched, etc.
By Cliff - 5 Years Ago
Check for the damper hitting the timing cover.
So what inside dimensions - length should the harmonic balancer have for the 292? What is the proper 292 y-block harmonic balancer part number?  Maybe I have one from a 239 y-block.  Number on it is ECG 63 with the inside length of 3-21/64" which is 7/32" longer than the balancer shaft to the oil slinger.
By KULTULZ - 5 Years Ago
That drawing is misleading and in one place states its a spacer, not a seal.  Pan off, slinger installed and crank turns without the balancer.  Put on balancer and cannot turn crank even if I get it to torqued to specs.  Appears to be 3-7/64" length on crank end to slinger and 3-21/64" on inside of harmonic balancer ... thats 7/32" difference, so maybe harmonic balancer is getting torqued too tight against crankshaft sprocket gear.  Still puzzled on what to do to get crank to turn with harmonic balancer installed to torque specs.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/1f8d9406-c2f8-4dee-ae22-8d5f.jpg
So what inside dimensions - length should the harmonic balancer have for the 292? What is the proper 292 y-block harmonic balancer part number?  Maybe I have one from a 239 y-block.  Number on it is ECG 63 with the inside length of 3-21/64" which is 7/32" longer than the balancer shaft
to the oil slinger.

6700 - SEAL
6310 - OIL SLINGER
6306 - CRANK TIMING GEAR

The only thing I can think of concerning a spacer is the thought of the seal flange being considered as a spacer? The seal was installed on the inside of the front cover?

CASTING ID NO, EDG (there are more characters) ID's the balancer. There is more than one balancer. It depends on model type and belt sheave nos. Full ID NOS may help to ID which one you have. 

Actual dimension specs are not given. I some instances, measurements are given in CATALOGING TEXT to help ID a part.

Wondering, when you torque the balancer bolt to spec, how is the clearances on the crank center thrust bearing?

By Florida_Phil - 5 Years Ago
I ran into a similar situation latest year when I built the 292 in my TBird.  When I installed the front cover, it looked like the oil slinger would contact the back of the front cover.  I posted the photo below on the forum. When the damper is tightened down, it forces the slinger into the correct position and does not touch the cover.  There is no spacer in my motor.  The red goop is assembly lube.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/93e98640-4891-424c-b94c-aedb.jpg
By pintoplumber - 5 Years Ago
For comparison, here’s a 239 spacer. The 239’s didn’t have a balancer,just a pulley. It was shorter so a spacer was needed.