Tips on Buying an Engine to rebuild.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic147351.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By oldcarmark - 5 Years Ago
I am looking for a 292 or 312 to rebuild this coming Winter. Any Tips on what to look for or look out for besides not being stuck? I know its kind of a Crap Shoot buying something that can't be heard running. Any suggestions appreciated. Before anyone offers Me One I am in Canada. Looking for One locally.
By Florida_Phil - 5 Years Ago
I have bought a number of used engines over the years.  Here's my two cents.  Try to find an engine out of a 1957 4 door or station wagon.  All 57 YBlocks came with the good heads and rockers, distributor and exhaust manifolds.  1957 272s are great engines to buy.  They are more common, normally weren't hot rodded and you can bore them to 292 size. I have the original 292 block in my TBird.  The block is all that is left original. My original engine had been rebuilt so many times it was junk.  I bored my 292 .060 without any issues.  Still, it needed align boring and the decks squared. Whatever YBlock you buy, you will most likely have to do the same. Obviously, the less miles on the engine the better. Unfortunately, you can't tell the actual miles or how it was maintained from the outside.

I never buy someone else's rebuilt motor or any engine that has been hot rodded.  What you want is a pure virgin.  If it still has the 2 barrel carb and manifold, all the better.  My motor cost me about $1,500 for the machine work alone. I probably have about $5,000 US in it total counting the 4V intake manifold, holley carb, 57 distributor and exhaust manifolds.  Correct assembly is important, especially in the area around the rear seal. 
Florida_Phil (8/13/2019)
I have bought a number of used engines over the years.  Here's my two cents.  Try to find an engine out of a 1957 4 door or station wagon.  All 57 YBlocks came with the good heads and rockers, distributor and exhaust manifolds.  1957 272s are great engines to buy.  They are more common, normally weren't hot rodded and you can bore them to 292 size. I have the original 292 block in my TBird.  The block is all that is left original. My original engine had been rebuilt so many times it was junk.  I bored my 292 .060 without any issues.  Still, it needed align boring and the decks squared. Whatever YBlock you buy, you will most likely have to do the same. Obviously, the less miles on the engine the better. Unfortunately, you can't tell the actual miles or how it was maintained from the outside.

I never buy someone else's rebuilt motor or any engine that has been hot rodded.  What you want is a pure virgin.  If it still has the 2 barrel carb and manifold, all the better.  My motor cost me about $1,500 for the machine work alone. I probably have about $5,000 US in it total counting the 4V intake manifold, holley carb, 57 distributor and exhaust manifolds.  Correct assembly is important, especially in the area around the rear seal. 

What is the Significance of 57 Wagon or 4 Door?
There is no physical difference in the engines.  There is less chance of someone messing with an engine out of a station wagon or a four door. When I buy a used engine, I want the last person who touched it to be the person who assembled it at the factory. One way you can tell if a '57 YBlock bottom end is virgin is if it still has the nut keepers on the rod bolts.  They are normally the first thing to go.
OK .Makes sense.
1957 272 and 292 engines are not hard to find.  I know of two within a few miles of my home in Central Florida.  There is a guy named Randy in Wisconsin that has acres of old 57 Fords.  I bought a car from him about ten years ago.  Unfortunately, I lost his number.  312s are getting rare and pricey.  I've had all three.  To be honest, I don't see much advantage to a 312 unless you are going to race.  My .060 over 292 runs just fine with me.
Phil don't You know every "Y" Block is a 312? Everybody I talk to says theirs is a 312.    You and I have the only 292's.   LOL!!!
By 2721955meteor - 5 Years Ago
where in canada,i have a reman short block  for 1400 cn. it includes a cam ,lifters and roller chain
By 2721955meteor - 5 Years Ago
a auto wrecker in casagrandy Told me do not buy a core from southern states that don't use  antifreeze,as raw water is bad for cavitation of cylinder walls,as well overheating another concern esp. for heads. industrial cores are good especially out west where ford supplied new castings to rebuilders after no market in new vehicles
I would never buy a marine engine for this reason.  Few people in the South used antifreeze back in the fifties.  I didn't even know what it was until I bought my first new car in 1967 and it had green water in the radiator.  I have never seen a passenger car engine with rust so bad it couldn't be used.   I suppose it's possible.  What you will see are engines with deep sludge in the valley and pan.  Due to chemical restrictions, "Hot Tanking" isn't what it once was.  My machinist bead blasted my motor.  I wouldn't do this on my own.  He knew what he was doing.
By Oldmics - 5 Years Ago
I personally look for engines that were from automatic trans vehicles. Wagons and 4 doors are always a good pick.
I have found over the years that the rear main block is prone to cracking due to the replacement pressure plates being too strong or incorrectly replaced - especially on 312s .

My .02$ !

Oldmics
I had a local Guy contact Me through Kijiji. He has a Transmission also which doesn't interest Me unless its an early 60's Cruisematic. Supposed to get back to Me with more Information. Year and type of Transmission.
By 1960fordf350 - 5 Years Ago
I have a small case cruise-o-matic I'd like to get rid of.   It's from a 61-62 car with a 292.       Converter and bellhousing included.   No flexplatehttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/0c6108b3-346a-4b34-a24b-52c3.jpg
By blocky - 5 Years Ago
hi i have 2 sets of 312 pistons still in the box that i want to sell but i am in oz. cheers
By Cliff - 5 Years Ago
Hi, where are you? (with the cruise o matic)
By Talkwrench - 5 Years Ago
I think the best tip is dont pay too much and hopefully the heads are off so you can have a good look inside and see it turns free. A nice coat of paint can hide a multitude of sins and and old grease covered block just may turn out to be a gem never touched.. 
I bought a flathead from a guy I know, he was selling it behalf of someone else . we took the intake manifold off to have a look it did have receipts turned free, I paid $600 for here in Oz. [for some reason people think they're worth their weight in gold] Lucky I was striping it for a full rebuild because despite the receipts for bearings etc it was put together on the cheap and I would not have been surprised if it lasted an hour running.   

By 1960fordf350 - 5 Years Ago
I'm in Parma, Ohio.    Right around the corner where Drew Carrie is from!       I also travel to Cleveland Tenn about 3 times a year.          I also have a 292 block that I ran for about a month in my truck last year.   It definetly needs a rebuild.   
By Cliff - 5 Years Ago
I would like to buy the bell housing (if it's aluminum), I live in California
By PF Arcand - 5 Years Ago
Mark: A 312 is likely the riskiest to buy, due to the possibility of the block being cracked at the mains. Don't buy it if you can't get a good look at a clean block area, and or a bill for testing. Also, Ted E. has indicated that some 312 blocks have cam journal alighnment issues, that may require re machining.  Besides, if you just have to have the xtra inches, John Mummert sells a  292 to 312 conversion kit now. No 312 crank required.. Good luck.
Thanks Paul. A 292 would be sufficient if I find a good One.
By FORD DEARBORN - 5 Years Ago
I know you are in Canada but I'll try and send a link of a running 292 anyways. Not mine.  Has some mismatched parts but at least it runs and doesn't sound too bad in the video. Mark, how close are you to Windsor?     https://www.ebay.com/itm/59-60-Ford-292-Y-Block-Ford-RUNNING-B9AE-See-Video-Will-Ship-272/153546797077?hash=item23c01a3015:g:F-sAAOSwoxVdF5Pe
Thanks for the Link. Looking for something closer to Me. And a little less Money. 
By pegleg - 5 Years Ago
That's Randy Conner, who, unfortunately, has passed away. Some one here may know how to reach his widow or kids. I don't

Sorry to hear that.  I flew up to see him about 10 years ago.  He lived on a large plot of land with a long dirt road leading to his home.  As I drove to his house, all I could see were 57 and 58 Fords in all conditions.  Some parked along the road.  Some upside down.  He lived in a nice log home with a few separate garages.  He must have had at least 100 cars.  He had purchased a 57 Custom 2 door sight unseen for parts.  When it arrived, it was too good to scrap so he drove it.  I bought that car from him.   I shipped the car to Florida and swapped in a 428 CJ motor and a 4 speed.  I turned the car into a business coupe with fixed side rear windows. I painted the car red and installed a new interior.   I later sold the car to fund another project.

If his cars and parts are still there, it's one of the largest collections of '57 Fords still in existence.