Water temp gauge

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic146237.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By 55charliebird - 5 Years Ago
I cant seem to find a water temp gauge, mechanical stud type, to fit a 3/8 npt fitting.  Most of them have a capillary tube and require electrical connections.  I want a gauge that reads from 100 to 280 degrees so that the 200-220 degree is somewhat in the center of the sweep.  That is usually the accuracy area.  Any ideas, brand, etc.  I intend to install it in a "T" fitting at the heater valve area, directly in front of the carb.
By miker - 5 Years Ago
55, I don’t understand the question. In my experience a mechanical gauge with a capillary tube only has an electrical connection for a light in the gauge. Electrical gauges have a sensor into the water passage, power to the gauge, wire from the gauge to the sensor, it acts as a variable ground. Finding an electrical sensor (aftermarket type) I. Smaller pipe sizes NPT, or metric is one thing. The mechanical capillary type tend to be larger. Been years, but I seem to remember them at 3/8 NPT.
By Robs36Ford - 5 Years Ago
?? Are you asking for a gauge like the ones in a rad cap? Used in the 1930's and older cars. Also modern ones are made for racing. Never seen any that can be threaded in though.
Basically it is the same type gage that you would find in a hot water boiler system that is used in a home heating system.  It screws into a female receptacle pipe fitting.  It has a metal "stud", if you will, that senses the water temp.  I guess I need to find a plumbing supply company here in Fla.  Thanks for trying.  Charlie
I found several on different websites.  I narrowed it down to one from amazon.  Problem solved.  Thanks
By paul2748 - 5 Years Ago
Can you give us the  make and model #?

55charliebird (6/14/2019)
I found several on different websites.  I narrowed it down to one from amazon.  Problem solved.  Thanks

By miker - 5 Years Ago
I understand now. I used one of the small Moon ones in the intake manifold right before the ‘stat for years. I don’t remember it being anywhere near this pricey.

https://www.jegs.com/i/VPA/960/49800-VUI/10002/-1?gclsrc=aw.ds&&mrkgcl=1239&mrkgadid=3328194555&adpos=1o1&creative=330726016700&device=t&matchtype=&network=g&jegspromo=nonbrand&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2fiP1b7q4gIVi_hkCh32PwxoEAQYASABEgJw6_D_BwE
PIC GAUGE TRI-RC-254R1.75D...........ON AMAZON, COST $36.00.   IT HAS TEMP AND PRESSURE.  2 1/2 " DIAL FACE.  THE ONLY ONE I COULD FIND WITH THE 195-210 DEGREE CENTERED IN THE GAGE SCALE.
By paul2748 - 5 Years Ago
Oddly enough, It wouldn't come up on Amazon.  But ebay had the same thing, 22.00, free shipping.  Plus another brand (pressure and temp) for less that 20.00

55charliebird (6/15/2019)
PIC GAUGE TRI-RC-254R1.75D...........ON AMAZON, COST $36.00.   IT HAS TEMP AND PRESSURE.  2 1/2 " DIAL FACE.  THE ONLY ONE I COULD FIND WITH THE 195-210 DEGREE CENTERED IN THE GAGE SCALE.

I could not find it on E-bay.  Anyway, I found the one I wanted.  Thanks