55 Ford fairlane engine mount

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic144297.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Robin272 - 5 Years Ago
Hello.

Have anyone here changed engine mounts lately on 54 - 58 passenger car? I just ordered a set too my 55 Ford 272. The New one i got is almost a inch offset compared too the old ones. So the engine will not bolt too the transmission. Have anyone experienced this before ? I can take som picture to show, if you dont understand me ๐Ÿ‘
By oldcarmark - 5 Years Ago
Are they facing the right way? "Open" Side of the Mount faces backwards. 
I have compared them side too side on the bench. Aligning the holes (Block side) with each other and mounts facing same direction you can se that the bolts on the frame side are offset. I will take a picture and post later! Many years ago when i first rebuilded the engine, i also bought a new set engine mounts. This is where i get the not aligning with transmission part from. Back then i just put the old mounts back on and the problem where kinda solved. I am pretty Shure they where facing the right way. I just bought a new set, and was hoping the "new" ones i bougt many years ago was just a bad manufacter batch.
By Florida_Phil - 5 Years Ago
Turn them around.  Sounds like you have them on backwards.
By darrell - 5 Years Ago
you dont by any chance have a set for a 223
What is the difference too 223 ?
I know the 223 is a inline 6 engine. What i mean is, if you compared a 223 and 272 mount side by side, what would be different. The inline 6 would be longer, so i guess the engine would be moved more toward the radiator. Are the bracket that are welded to frame different from a 6 and V8 car ? 223 Crown Victoria would probably be rather rare ?
By darrell - 5 Years Ago
if you put v8 mounts on a 6 the engine moves forward.so a 6 on the 8 will move the engine back.
Robin272 (2/27/2019)
I have compared them side too side on the bench. Aligning the holes (Block side) with each other and mounts facing same direction you can se that the bolts on the frame side are offset. I will take a picture and post later! Many years ago when i first rebuilded the engine, i also bought a new set engine mounts. This is where i get the not aligning with transmission part from. Back then i just put the old mounts back on and the problem where kinda solved. I am pretty Shure they where facing the right way. I just bought a new set, and was hoping the "new" ones i bougt many years ago was just a bad manufacter batch.

Yes the Bolts are Offset. The Holes for the Block are not aligned with the Studs that go into Frame.I think You may have them on Backwards. The open side of the mount faces back of the Car. I just put my 292 back in the Car on Sunday and I checked to make sure they were facing correct way.
See picture previous page
By darrell - 5 Years Ago
the top photo the one at the back is a 6.thats the difference i went out and checked a set i have.
That is the old one that have been on my 272 about 30 + years. The one inn the back ore left are the old one. Strange. Is it possible you can take som picture darrell ๐Ÿ‘? Maybe i have to order a 6 mount for my V8.
By darrell - 5 Years Ago
someone put the wrong mounts on long ago you can change things and use the v8 mounts or leave things alone and get a set for 223.brings back memories back in feb 68 i took a 6 from a 58 and put itin a 59 that had a v8.the 59 has only one stud so had to use the 59 mounts. motor set ahead had to shim the rad out driveshaft was short second was straight in the air.what a mess.great times but it would have been nice to know a little more.
What about the transmission. From what i remember it was impossible to make the transmission align when i used the V8 mount beacause of the offset.
Is it also different transmission crossmemeber on 6 and V8 ?
Interesting. Does the Vehicle Ser # indicate it was a V-8 or 6 when built?
Good question. Honestly i have never checked the vin number. But that is the first thing i will do tomorow.
By darrell - 5 Years Ago
mount and crossmember are the same.
By darrell - 5 Years Ago
i should add if you go with the v8 mounts you will have to change a few things.gas linkage trans linkage if its an automatic.motor will be closer to the rad which may not mike a difference.exhaust may have enough play to move.trans mount lots of fun.i would go to the v8 mounts myself but thats up to you.
Serial No: U5FW216014
64A. YE M. 3FDD305.

Cant find the identification chart inn the shop manual.
Oh man. Why cant just people do it right the first time ๐Ÿ˜ž i already have linkage trouble beacause off the mummert intake i have innstalled, and that intake does not have the holes too the factory trottle bracket. Beacause of the fordomatic i guess i will have to fabricate something new here. If i get into exhaust trouble with this swap, i might as well order a rom on the hospital, i just hate exhaust modification. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Robin272 (2/28/2019)
Serial No: U5FW216014
64A. YE M. 3FDD305.

Cant find the identification chart inn the shop manual.

First letter "U" is for 272. so the v8 Mounts should have been right.
Yupp. They are corect. I need the right trans mount.
The Transmission Mount itself is the same for 6 or 8. Only difference would be Automatic or Standard. If You are only out by an Inch as U stated your best bet would be to move the Transmission forward that one inch and modify the Transmission Mount to go forward One Inch. i still don't understand why its not going together as it should.
Macs auto are listing a transmission mount 54-56 mercury V8. Do you know the difference between a Ford and a mercury trans mount ? https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_mercury_late/rear-motor-and-transmission-mount-mercury-312-v8.html
Darrell. I am just curious. What brand is the V8 mount you have and do you happen to know how old they are ?
By darrell - 5 Years Ago
these are old original mounts.i have both 6 and 8