56 f100 rear self adj brakes

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic143932.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By brucem - 5 Years Ago
Does anyone know what kits are available to add self adjusting rear brakes to a stock f100 .Thanks for any help
By paul2748 - 5 Years Ago
What year - 9 inch or  something else?    Look at Fords that have the same size shoe diameter.  I have used the parts from a later Ford on my TBird (56).  I have a parts list some where but I doubt the 150 has the same diameter brakes as the TBird.
By brucem - 5 Years Ago
Paul,thanks for your reply,year 1956with a stock dana 44 rear.I dont have wheels off yet, not sure of dia,will re post later.Thanks
By oldcarmark - 5 Years Ago
What I did to find self Adjusters that would work on my 56 was go to Rock Auto. Find the Brake Shoe #  listed for your Application. Then try later newer Listings and find a Vehicle that uses same Shoes and has self adjuster Kit Listed. Should be able to retrofit on yours.
By brucem - 5 Years Ago
Thanks found them appreciate the help.First time on this forum,great info
By miker - 5 Years Ago
I’d be interested in knowing the details for that. I never did locate them for the Dana rear end, maybe I should just have focused on the brake shoes?
If I remember correctly, the only problem that I had was the oval piece that holds the shoes at the top.  It was too thick when adding the wire that goes down to the adjuster.  I shaved it and it worked out.  Easier than trying to find a thinner one.
By KULTULZ - 5 Years Ago
paul2748                                      Posted Yesterday                                            

If I remember correctly, the only problem that I had was the oval piece that holds the shoes at the top.  It was too thick when adding the wire that goes down to the adjuster.  I shaved it and it worked out.  Easier than trying to find a thinner one.

... hmmph ...

THANX for that revelation. I have read references where when trying to retrofit, the claim was the anchor pin was too short but this dispels that.
By DryLakesRacer - 5 Years Ago
In the new Macs (I don't like them) catalog they list a complete self adjusting kit for the 58-59 car. They also have 11" brakes like the 55-56 car which are just narrower and I've wondered the same thing all the parts are included for $14 a wheel. Sure would b nice when doing discs in the front and leaving the old rear ends.
Rock Auto is half that Price. The Kits have everything except the Spring that hooks onto the Adjuster Lever.,Separate Part #.Package of 2.
In essence, the anchor pin is too short when converting to self adjusters..  Shaving down the retainer solves the problem.
When I checked out the Self Adjuster Setup in my 1966 Ford Mustang Falcon OEM Shop Manual the retainer is not used.The return Springs hold the Adjuster Cable "Eye" against the Brake Shoe. I did not use the Retainer on my last 56 and never had a Problem in 10 Years of driving it. The end of the Return Spring can be "Squeezed" to fit tighter around the Anchor Pin. Knowing You were able to rework the Retainer and use it is something I will check out next Time I have the Drums off. I added self Adjusters to my latest 56 and the Rear Setup works fine. I had a Problem with the Front Brakes as they were over Adjusting causing the Brakes to Drag. The Adjuster Kit was the same Application I used previously without a Problem. Almost makes Me think the Cable is too Short although the Kit is for 11" Brakes. I removed the Adjusters for the Time being. I checked with Manufacturer and Cable Length is Correct for that Kit. Going to leave it for now and just have the Rears self Adjust.