56 Wagon Leaf Springs, Best Source?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic142233.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Jwawhite - 6 Years Ago
Car appears to sag now, leaf springs may be wearing out.
Would like a source that sells all items needed for replacement, springs, ubolts, bushings...
By PF Arcand - 6 Years Ago
What's your location?  Shipping all that stuff can be expensive..
By KULTULZ - 6 Years Ago
Here is the original vendor to FORD-

https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/

When did you put those wheels on? Looks Good!
By 62bigwindow - 6 Years Ago
Is there a spring shop in your area? They will have everything you need.
By Pete 55Tbird - 6 Years Ago
If your old springs are not totally destroyed consider having them re-arched by a QUALITY spring shop. The original
steel will be much better than any replacement spring. They car also add leaves if you want. I had the rear springs re arched on my Tbird
about 25 years ago and I recommend it over replacement springs. Pete
By charliemccraney - 6 Years Ago
Is Eaton Detroit Spring worth the cost?  They seem to be 2 to 2.5 times the price of the competition.  I know you tend to get what you pay for but that difference is tough to justify.
By DryLakesRacer - 6 Years Ago
I've re-arched many springs using a 1' section of railroad with a grade 8 bolt shank welded on an edge and a 5# Sledge hammer. Takes a little time but with the springs off, less than a day. I've found doing just the bottom 3 leaves (shortest ones) will give me what I'm looking for.
Charlie, Big road trucks have their springs re-arched. As far as cost for quality THATS YOUR CALL. Pete
By KULTULZ - 6 Years Ago
"Is Eaton Detroit Spring worth the cost?  They seem to be 2 to 2.5 times the price of the competition.  I know you tend to get what you pay for but that difference is tough to justifyIs Eaton Detroit Spring worth the cost?  They seem to be 2 to 2.5 times the price of the competition.  I know you tend to get what you pay for but that difference is tough to justifyIs Eaton Detroit Spring worth the cost?  They seem to be 2 to 2.5 times the price of the competition.  I know you tend to get what you pay for but that difference is tough to justify"

Charlie,

It depends on the car and the owners desire/financial ability to make it as correct or better when it left the gate.

Me, I am very particular and have to have the best available, especially if HI-PO.. I had big trucks. I never had them re-arched. Cheaper and quicker to order them and install to keep the truck on the road. You are trying to re-temper fatigued metal and in no-way would I use Chineseium or NO-BRAND, even on a piece of junk.

Now that is my opinion only. Your mileage (and preference) may vary.

Please don't blast me as the above is IMO.

By paul2748 - 6 Years Ago
I bought a set of rear springs from another supplier for my 64 Fairlane.  No problems.  Unfortunately, I don't have their information any more.  As mentioned above, if you have a local spring shop they may be able to get springs for you.
By stuey - 6 Years Ago
Hi there
 I purchased springs from Eaton Detroit for my 56 F100, expensive, then got them shipped to UK! 
But whilst looking for springs came across this place.  I know nothing about them but they may be worth investigation.
https://www.generalspringkc.com/Leaf_Springs_Ford_F100_1942_1972_s/1863.htm 
stuey

By Lou - 6 Years Ago
I put new springs in my 56 Crown, I took a spring off my car and brought it to a shop that made springs for heavy trucks. The guy there asked me what the spring was off of, took a look at my old one and told me to be back before 5 pm. He charged me $300.
Lou, what exactly are you trying to say? I do not understand the point you are trying to make. Are you saying that he
made new springs? Pete
By charliemccraney - 6 Years Ago
I think he's saying that he took an old spring to a spring shop and they made new ones.

re arching is a very cost effective way to do it, if the old springs are in good condition.  The problem is that most original springs from a 60 year or so old vehicle are pretty badly worn and need to be replaced.
By Lou - 6 Years Ago
Yes the truck shop made new springs.