distributor

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic137206.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Jarhead - 6 Years Ago
I'm installing a ECZ9425-B intake manifold on my 1956 Ford Fairlane 292 V8 with a Holley 390 CFM Classic carb. #4160. Do I have to change the distributor to a 1957 or newer?
By oldcarmark - 6 Years Ago
You are doing a very popular Upgrade. I think you will be surprised at the positive change. Hopefully you can find a Distributor. The application You would use is 1964 Ford f100 with 292. Yes You must change the Distributor.. The Loadomatic will only work with the original Teapot. Bad News is the correct 57 and later Distributors have become almost impossible to find. There's a long Post back a few discussing what the problem is. Cardone is selling bad Distributors. I need One myself to do the same Swap you are doing. Third Time for Me. Up until a Year ago there was no problem getting correct Distributors from Cardone. Now there is a Problem. I bought an original 1957 Distributor on Ebay Yesterday. I gave up trying to find a proper Exchange One. Read the Post regarding "1957 and up Distributors" DON"T buy a Cardone. 30-2808. Could destroy your Motor. 
By miker - 6 Years Ago
If you’ve still got the dual diaphragm Load O Matic, yes. There’s a number of post here worth reading on buying a replacement.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic133762.aspx

Edit. Beat me Mark
No Problem. Need to spread the Word regarding Cardone 30-2808 Distributors. Someone is going to lose an Engine if they don't know what is going on. I do't know where You will find a proper Replacement for the Loadomatic. I found a nice One on Ebay and paid more than I wanted too but its correct. Hopefully I can sell the 2 Original Loadomatics and get some $$$ back.
By Jarhead - 6 Years Ago
Things have changed since my last post. My 56 Fairlane 292 was bogging at take off. It had an original manifold with an Edelbrock 500 CFM and an adapter plate. I was advised locally to get one of the new aluminum manifolds with a Holley 390 CFM. The distributor has also been changed to an electronic Ignitor II specifically built for this engine. It still bogs at takeoff and will even bog if I'm doing 30 or 40 and push on the pedal for a hill or to pass. I've had it to a few mechanics and a speed shop but nothing has improved. They all claim that it's just a carb. adjustment but nothing gets any better. The car shakes at a red light. Any suggestions?
By charliemccraney - 6 Years Ago
Did you change the distributor to '57 or newer?
Jarhead (10/3/2018)
Things have changed since my last post. My 56 Fairlane 292 was bogging at take off. It had an original manifold with an Edelbrock 500 CFM and an adapter plate. I was advised locally to get one of the new aluminum manifolds with a Holley 390 CFM. The distributor has also been changed to an electronic Ignitor II specifically built for this engine. It still bogs at takeoff and will even bog if I'm doing 30 or 40 and push on the pedal for a hill or to pass. I've had it to a few mechanics and a speed shop but nothing has improved. They all claim that it's just a carb. adjustment but nothing gets any better. The car shakes at a red light. Any suggestions?

I am not familiar with this Ignitor II  Distributor that You refer to. What is it exactly and can You post a Picture? Ignitor II is usually the Electronic Conversion Kit sold by Pertronix-not a Distributor.  Have You verified that the Timing is advancing as RPM's increase?
By KULTULZ - 6 Years Ago
'I am not familiar with this Ignitor II  Distributor that You refer to. What is it exactly and can You post a Picture?'

http://www.pertronix.com/images/ignition/flame_dist/d134600.jpg">

They offer a 'LOOK-A-LIKE' or CNC machined model.

CRAZY Message Board - Won't hold photos...
By 2721955meteor - 6 Years Ago
had same problem with 57 292 b manifold new halley 600 ford dura spark sign. cure was 2 things i bigger jets primary,1size up.
2 reinst heat riser. the aluminum manifolds  do not work in cooler climates,as the have no exhaust cross over threw int.. some up hear have i muffler stockist with restriction,1 less restrictive gives you a heat riser without the ratle of the original ones the new holley has elect choke that works great.(live in west coast bc canada)
By Jarhead - 6 Years Ago
I'm sorry! It isn't an Ignitor III distributor. It's an actual '56 Ford distributor that has been rebuilt with a longer shaft to eliminate the wobble and a lower bearing to keep the shaft running true to the Ford block. All the guts and coil are Petronix Ignitor III. Distributor is built by FBO Systems in Oregon and has both vacuum and mechanical advance and is supposed to make the Y-block able to accept all of today's technology including the modern fuel formulations. I've installed John Mummert's manifold with the new Holley 390 CFM and it still hesitates or "bogs" at takeoff or when trying to pick up speed. Everyone says it's a carb. adjustment but no one can get it adjusted right.

I would be checking the Distributor to make sure the Advance is actually working properly. This can be verified by using a Timing Light and watching the Timing. Marks  move as the RPM increases. Also how much initial Advance are You using. Should be 10-12 BTDC. Factory Specs are very Conservative. The Jets in my 390 are #57. The fact that You changed Carbs and are still having same problem makes Me lean towards a problem with Ignition. I've done 3 of these using the 390 and a stock 57+ Distributor with Pertronix 2. Other than changing the Jets to 57 or 58 this Setup has worked fine "out of the Box". Did some adjusting  afterwards but initially it was very driveable as installed.
By PF Arcand - 6 Years Ago
As suggested, you need to verify if the advance is working properly..also when doing so check to make sure your crank shaft balancer is o.k. When the rubber deteriorates in old balancers the marks may have slipped..   
By KULTULZ - 6 Years Ago
"Jarhead

I'm sorry! It isn't an Ignitor III distributor. It's an actual '56 Ford distributor that has been rebuilt with a longer shaft to eliminate the wobble and a lower bearing to keep the shaft running true to the Ford block. All the guts and coil are Petronix Ignitor III. Distributor is built by FBO Systems in Oregon and has both vacuum and mechanical advance and is supposed to make the Y-block able to accept all of today's technology including the modern fuel formulations. I've installed John Mummert's manifold with the new Holley 390 CFM and it still hesitates or "bogs" at takeoff or when trying to pick up speed. Everyone says it's a carb. adjustment but no one can get it adjusted right."

Three things for Tip-In Hesitation -

1) Improper vacuum signal (ported) to DIST and/or defective/improperly adjusted vacuum advance,

2) Defective/improperly adjusted carb accelerator pump,

3) At speed, trans doesn't go into passing gear (2nd)

Or you are using a taller runner or single plane intake which will require a longer accel pump shot.

For the HOLLEY, you can buy one of their manuals that details the setting up of one properly.

MUMMERT makes three alum intakes I believe, 1) the 4V for FORD, 2) a shorter intake for the BIRD (hood clearance), and 3) a 4V with no heat riser provision. BLUE THUNDER also has a model.

Once you establish correct dist operation/advance, it must be in HOLLEY accelerator pump shot/duration. This can get fairly complicated so you need the manual for reference unless you are experienced.

Description and Source of FBO DIST - http://4secondsflat.com/Ford%20Y-Block%20Distributors.htm
Prior to changing Carbs and Distributors were You experiencing any problems as far driveability etc? Or did You only start having any Problems after changing Carb and Distributor? You might try setting the Timing using a Vacuum Gauge instead of timing Light. Hookup vacuum Gauge to direct engine Vacuum.The Lower outlet on the 390 Carb is direct Vacuum. Slowly advance the Distributor until Vacuum reading starts to drop. Move Distributor in opposite Direction until Vacuum starts to drop.Set Distributor haflway between the 2 and lock Distributor down. Take it for a Ride and see if there is an Improvement. Its possible the Damper has moved and setting Timing with a Light is no longer Accurate. Setting Timing with Light may make timing retarded because Damper is no longer correct.  Mechanics and Speed Shop Employees would not think of this as a possible explanation for poor Driveability if they are not familiar with the Y Block  As I suggested prior You should use a Timing Light to verify the Distributor Advance is actually working.
By paul2748 - 6 Years Ago
Isn't the FBO a completely new distributor body  ?  Sure seems so on their web site.
I was just looking at FBO Website. Looks like a Quality Product made in USA.If You check some of the Items that were suggested and still no Improvement maybe U should check with FBO and see if they have any suggestions regarding their Distributor. If You were not having Problems before changing Carb and Distributor its One or the Other which is causing the Problem and I think its Ignition related not Carb. Let us know what You find when doing some checks as suggested. Did You check the Jet Sizes? They need to be around 58. New 390 Holley Carbs come with #51 from the Factory.
By miker - 6 Years Ago
Not to hijack the thread, but there’s a core charge on the FBO distributor, so there’s something they’re reusing. If their name had come up a week earlier, I’d had stopped in and seen them. I was driving thru Cottage Grove, OR.

On the carb side, you might go back and look at some earlier post on setting the secondaries on Holley carbs. I don’t know if it applies to the 390, but it might if it’s a 4160 series. I think it was a post by Greenbird56.

Maybe the main Shaft? The Housing they sell is for sure New.They were offering them on Ebay for awhile with only a $25,00 Core charge. The fact that He can't even really drive it is not something I have had a problem with having done 3 of these Swaps. Upsize the Jets to 58. Set the Timing at around 8-10 initially and they can at least be road tested and run well  and then I would fine Tune them.He has had 2 Carbs on this and still no Improvement. I am very interested to know the final Outcome when He figures out what the Problem is.
By miker - 6 Years Ago
I went back and reread the whole post. The only time I had a Holley with a BIG bog, just short of not driveable, it was the main jets. The carb had been shipped (it was a new 4160 vacumn secondary) with the mains 10 sizes small. Like 55 instead of 65. Hard to remember, that was 1968. Problem solved. So maybe worth pulling the bowls and checking the jets. Doesn’t seem QA has improved lately.
When these 390's are shipped new they seem to have 51 main Jets. Probably because they can be used on everything from 4 Cylinders up to small V-8's. They are all supposed to be wet Tested at Holley. The last new One I bought in the Spring had a definite  Fuel Smell so I assume it was tested. It only had 51 Main Jets. 58's seem to work well for my Stock Engine. Anyway He has had some Suggestions given. Look at the Basics first..
By miker - 6 Years Ago
Well, 7 steps is close to 10. That would be my starting point. With the changes in fuel, etc. you’re probably right on the money.
By 57RancheroJim - 6 Years Ago
When I started using a 390, which I really like now, I had to change main jets too. But still had an off idle hesitation/bog. I finally cured that by going to a larger squirter, the one that comes with the carb is really small like .025 and I changed to a .032
By KULTULZ - 6 Years Ago
Any new carb cannot be expected to work on every application, unless it is a DIRECT OEM or QUALITY REBUILD for the exact application.

It can have accelerator pump mis-adjustement, cam selection (duration of shot), squirter size(s) as mentioned or in very special cases may need a 50cc accelerator pump. It has to be tuned for the application.

As for using manifold vacuum for the DIST ADV, this will bring in full vacuum advance @ idle and tip-in. No gradual application of vacuum advance.
By Tim Quinn - 6 Years Ago
Three years ago, we installed an electronic distributor from CRT Performance who are on ebay.
Works great with a 600 cfm  dual feed Summit carb.

FORD Y-BLOCK 239-256-272-292-312 Small HEI DISTRIBUTOR BLUE + PLUG WIRES USA

By KULTULZ - 6 Years Ago
It appears that the housings are new cast, or machined with media blasting to give OEM appearance. I am going to contact them.

What I want to know is if they can upgrade a numbers correct DIST for a dedicated appearnce/restoration.

"Chinese knock offs ... WHY? would you even consider using a low quality, poor performing with No  tech help or parts available distributor in your classic early Y-Block Ford?  When you start installing those low grade Chinese parts you might as well just bolt in a 350 scruby/350 trans and a 3.50 gear and build a belly button car. Do you really want that Chinese distributor with scruby cap starring at you every time you open your hood.... call me a purist but it would be way to embarrassing for me. We will not work on the Chinese Import fake distributors, no repairs, no set-up or curving and we have no parts for them. In this industry the last guy to work on it is responsible for it... we will not take responsibility for tech information or be a  warranty dump for Imported low quality products."