Ebay

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic136357.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By mongo - 6 Years Ago
I really hate ebay , the way they treat their long time sellers.  On the other hand , any time I put yblock parts on ebay , the bidders come out of the woodwork . I put a 4 barrel intake on , it's up to $202  . This 312 , I am selling off , one piece at a time.  Next will be the tbird valve covers
By paul2748 - 6 Years Ago
ebay is a good place to sell if you have people interested in what your selling.  Another place that seems to be good for selling is the Facebook sites for Yblocks.  I have  sold a bunch of parts through two yblock Facebook sites that I read regularily.  No fees.
By oldcarmark - 6 Years Ago
mongo (4/17/2018)
I really hate ebay , the way they treat their long time sellers.  On the other hand , any time I put yblock parts on ebay , the bidders come out of the woodwork . I put a 4 barrel intake on , it's up to $202  . This 312 , I am selling off , one piece at a time.  Next will be the tbird valve covers

I agree that Ebay seems to forget that without Sellers they would not be in Business. I have a "Store" on Ebay. I sell Shop Manuals, Parts Catalogs, Collectibles and other Automobilia. For Me being able to run a Business from Home with really no Overhead has been very successful. There are other similar Sites but none come close to potential Customer Base. If there was another real Alternative with the same Potential Ebay would lose a great # of Buyers and Sellers.  Lookup my Store. Google  Marks Automotive Literature.
By darrell - 6 Years Ago
you really have to watch  ebay by times as well.a small part for 20.00 that you can put in your pocket and they try to nail you 50.00 to ship it.their hoping you dont look close.a lot of junk as well.selling stuff like 312 mains that are 292.sometimes they dont know the difference.its buyer beware.
By Daniel Jessup - 6 Years Ago
ebay really made a mistake when they started taking a fee from sellers that was a percentage of the SHIPPING cost that the seller had to charge... for guys who sell heavy vintage iron the market was drained. The last few years have been horrible for buyers as far as what is actually available and up for bid on eBay when it comes to all vintage engines and/or other parts. Most buyers do not understand what it takes to be a 5 star seller on eBay.
By DANIEL TINDER - 6 Years Ago
My experience has been just the opposite. High-volume sellers get special consideration from eBay management. I have had neg. feedback I gave to rude/unscrupulous sellers cancelled by their request (I was never consulted) merely because they pay high fees over time. Occasional buyers like myself who generate minimal revenue have very little leverage when the chips are down.
Another point of view re: shipping especially heavy/bulky items:
Internet shoppers have become so used to ‘free shipping’ (as common a marketing technique now as the venerable ‘$99.95’ vs. ‘$100’), I wonder if many buyers might actually overestimate the real shipping cost? While initiating a percentage fee may well have now suppressed the inflated shipping gimmic to some extent, I imagine some buyers might routinely skip over listings that don’t offer ‘free shipping’? Since eBay search perimeter options now include ‘lowest price including shipping’, I am tempted to offer free shipping whenever I list something I want to sell, since the initial offering price now seems less important (?).
.When I am looking for something on ebay, I always check shipping costs in conjunction with the item price (if buy it now) and those offering free shipping.

I find a lot sellers that have a real low price have very costly shipping costs.
Paul there s no such thing as "Free" Shipping unless there is another Postal System I am not aware of. My Items have calculated shipping based on Postal Code or Zip. Why should someone in BC Canada pay the same cost as Someone in Florida?  "Free"  Shipping is built into the Listed Price. You just don't see it.. 
By charliemccraney - 6 Years Ago
I just bought something today with "free" shipping.  It was the lowest price on eBay, period.  Couldn't find it anywhere else for less even before shipping.  I've bought many things like that, cheap stuff, too, under $10.00.
I don't know how they do it, but somehow people must make it profitable - probably simple economy of scale, buy a lot of product for pennies on the dollar and the more you ship, the better your shipping rates.  
I guess if U get something Free you can sell it cheap and still make Money. Haven't found the free Items yet.  In case anyone is wondering when I ad up all the Fees Ebay charges its about 23% of the selling Price.
By Tedster - 6 Years Ago
charliemccraney (4/22/2018)
I just bought something today with "free" shipping.  It was the lowest price on eBay, period.  Couldn't find it anywhere else for less even before shipping.  I've bought many things like that, cheap stuff, too, under $10.00.
I don't know how they do it, but somehow people must make it profitable - probably simple economy of scale, buy a lot of product for pennies on the dollar and the more you ship, the better your shipping rates.  

The real question is the stuff that BIN costs $4.95 & "free" shipping from CN and once it arrives in the states it gets delivered through the US postal system. That has to just kill our catalog or online sales, to say nothing of brick and morter.
The posties gotta be losing money on the deal too.

Somebody said eBay is cleaning up at 23% of purchase price? Buncha crooks. I remember when it was a great way to make some cash.
Oldcarmark - I agree with you that very few thing in life are free, including shipping.  But how some of these vendors have low prices and free shipping is beyond me.  I have bought items that are a very low dollar value ( and the item alone is worth the price) with free shipping.  It seems that for the price they are asking, the shipping is actually "free"

oldcarmark (4/22/2018)
Paul there s no such thing as "Free" Shipping unless there is another Postal System I am not aware of. My Items have calculated shipping based on Postal Code or Zip. Why should someone in BC Canada pay the same cost as Someone in Florida?  "Free"  Shipping is built into the Listed Price. You just don't see it.. 

I agree with You Paul. I don't know how they are even covering their Costs let alone make a little on Stuff they sell. Some Deals seem too good to be true.
So, I recently sold an item on eBay using the ‘free shipping’ hook. It sold BIN about one minute after the listing was uploaded! But, when I shipped it UPS (local Napa store), the charge was over double what I expected (16 lb. box 47”x10”x20”.....$75 Indiana to Oregon). When I later went to the UPS website to get a quote and see if I had been overcharged, I found it largely inscrutable/unusable. I realize the shipping business is very good nowadays for UPS, due to increased online shopping, and it’s been a long time since I’ve mailed any large/heavy packages, but I wonder if ALL the carriers more than doubled their rates when I wasn’t looking? Is the UPS site intentionally designed to discourage carrier shopping, I wonder?
Shipping rates go up every year.  $75 for a box that big sounds about right.  That is large enough that the actual weight really doesn't matter - it is dimensional weight.  A good rule of thumb when shipping is to have the package as small as possible but as large as necessary.

It's definitely worthwhile to figure how much shipping will cost before listing a free shipping item.
Yes, I was naive enough to use the shipping fee charged by other eBay sellers (exact same item) as a guide. I suspect THEY also got a rude awakening when actually mailing the package.
It may not be a rude awakening for them at all.  If eBay is how they conduct business, which means that nearly everything they sell ships, then they could have much better shipping rates than you or I would get for a package here and there.
I had the same problem with the UPS site.  I got one figure from the site and when I went to send it at the UPS store the amount was a lot more.   Went back to my old vendor, USPS..  I don't ship much big/heavy stuff, but I do find UPS cheaper on these items as compared to USPS

The UPS site was easy to use in the past.  The last time I used it it changed for the worse and was not as easy to use.

DANIEL TINDER (4/26/2018)
So, I recently sold an item on eBay using the ‘free shipping’ hook. It sold BIN about one minute after the listing was uploaded! But, when I shipped it UPS (local Napa store), the charge was over double what I expected (16 lb. box 47”x10”x20”.....$75 Indiana to Oregon). When I later went to the UPS website to get a quote and see if I had been overcharged, I found it largely inscrutable/unusable. I realize the shipping business is very good nowadays for UPS, due to increased online shopping, and it’s been a long time since I’ve mailed any large/heavy packages, but I wonder if ALL the carriers more than doubled their rates when I wasn’t looking? Is the UPS site intentionally designed to discourage carrier shopping, I wonder?

USPS is usually cheaper up to about 5 lbs.  After that, UPS (or Fedex) starts to be the better deal.  USPS Flat rate is usually a rip off, unless you are really packing some weight into the box.  The reason is logical, if it's flat rate, they have to cover all costs with one charge, so lighter items will cost more and heavier items will cost less.  An exception to this is often international shipping, where flat rate tends to come out ahead for some reason.

There are other options like Fastenal or Greyhound which are cheaper but they tend to be slower and can require that the sender and receiver go to a location to drop off or pick up, which is not always practical.  This really is a great option for large items, if it is practical for both parties.

Lot's of considerations just for shipping, alone.