Engine swap idea

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic136011.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By ron_s14 - 6 Years Ago
Before anyone shoots me, just hear me out.
I bought an engine on Facebook on a whim. Previous owner (and me included) did not know what engine it was. I thought it was a Pontiac from the light blue color. Anyway I bought it and brought it home and did some research and found out it was a 1962 Y Block 292. Cool!

Now I am trying to sell it since I really have nothing to put it in. But I have been thinking about swapping it into a more modern vehicle.
Like I said... don't shoot me.
But I was thinking about dropping it in my 94 Ranger and getting rid of the old 2.3. This truck has been slightly customized by the previous owner with air ride and a custom bed and all that good stuff. It is a lowrider. 
I was thinking about making it a v8 lowrider because I am thinking it might be a neat project. More than likely I won't do it because of my financial limitations.
However, this gives me some fun ideas to think about while at work.
So i guess this post is more of an idea and a conversation starter.

Also if you are interested, the engine is for sale in the classified ads on this site.
By charliemccraney - 6 Years Ago
It wouldn't be the first time someone put a Y in a newer vehicle.  It would be a lot different than the typical V8 conversions in a Ranger so it would be neat.
By PF Arcand - 6 Years Ago
A Y-block in a Ranger would be interesting, but.. unless you are really into doing difficult swaps, I wouldn't recommend it. One that might be a tad less difficult & a lighter more compact package, would be a Ford small block, 289-302 and so on. You might be able to get info on a swap like that.. The other thing is that a 60s 292 (which may need rebuilding for a start) likely has the poorest heads etc.