temp probe location?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic129326.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By 50mercfan - 7 Years Ago
you guys have been great helping with this 55 ford. another question, i have a 55 272, i hooked up the heater hose to the factory spot on the intake by the thermostat housing. is there another place to put the probe for the aftermarket temp gauge?
By Dobie - 7 Years Ago
The stock sender location on the driver's side rear of the intake manifold is a good spot, no need to reinvent the wheel. You may need an adapter to make it fit, and be sure the business end of the sender is inserted deep enough but without touching metal.
thanks dobie, i see it now.
got it in and it works great.
By Dobie - 7 Years Ago
Cool beans! Glad I could help..Smile
By 2721955meteor - 7 Years Ago
disagree with dopey,tho the stock location is there,it does not show proper engine temp. water flows threw the block then exits the left head and travels threw the cyl head (MOSTof the water) then exits at therm,combining with left head and out the therm. some truck intakes have sense at therm end where heater outlet is.
heater outlet is the hotest water in the system.  remember the flat heads had 2 sending units 1on each head where water left for the rad.
 i drilled and taped at the front of intake wher heater water is and inst second temp sensor it reads higher than the original location.i think the new location is most accurate as well as monitoring both banks. just food for comments
By Dobie - 7 Years Ago
Ummm. the name's Dobie. I think the stock location was good enough for Henry's engineers. As I said, why reinvent the wheel?
By Y block guy - 7 Years Ago
I agree with 2721955meteor on location in front. I wanted to retain the stock gauge as well as a temp sensor for the fuel injection.I too drilled and tapped near the thermostat housing for this purpose.
By Rowen - 7 Years Ago
Spell check?!?
Dobie (3/19/2017)
Ummm. the name's Dobie. I think the stock location was good enough for Henry's engineers. As I said, why reinvent the wheel?

sorrey for not checking  your name,have issues not spelling and re checking posts,will try to improve
By Dobie - 7 Years Ago
No offense taken.
By dbird - 7 Years Ago
While I have to agree that right by the thermostat would show the most exact temp for the water coming out of the engine, I don't think there's that much difference from the stock location.  I added a threaded insert to the passenger side head to install an aftermarket mechanical gauge and be able to keep the original gauge.  Having had some overheating issues, I repeatedly checked the temperature of the water outlet with an infrared thermometer and compared with the mechanical gauge. They were virtually the same once the thermostat opened.

Don
By charliemccraney - 7 Years Ago
The difference is 15 - 20 degrees.  It is not important as long as you always have that in mind and compensate for that discrepancy.  In practice, the stock sender location is not a problem.
had my 57 ranchero out today for a run aprox 15 miles,the mechanical gauge is at the drivers side rear where fact. gang was. elect gauge is at therm aria in int manifold. good 20 dgrs difference higher at the front. the issue not big hear, but those who seem to have heating issues may be surprised to know the may not. or it is worse than they think
my preference is to know the real temp of a engine,including both banks., even on a stocker.
here's how mine worked. i put the probe in the stock location, i also installed a new thermostat (180). the engine warmed to about 185 to 190, the thermostat opened and it dropped to 180 and stayed there. so, it may not be exact temp, but i dont think its off more than 5 or so.