Clutch question.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic129228.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Drexel - 7 Years Ago
I have everything I need to bolt a T10 4 speed to my 292 project except the pressure plate.  Contacted a brake and clutch outlet and they were no help. Any suggestions where to find the passenger car clutch?  Thanks.
By 55 GLASS TOP - 7 Years Ago
I have seen pressure plates on ebay
By slumlord444 - 7 Years Ago
Any auto parts store. Just make sure you have the right spline and disk diamater. 292 is usually 10". 312 is 11"
By Dave V - 7 Years Ago
I have an almost new 10" that I removed when I went to an 11".  Dave
By Drexel - 7 Years Ago
My flywheel is drilled for an 11" cover but, hey, I appreciate the offer.  My local Napa store had no listing but I see Summit has a kit manufactured By ZOOM only their disc is 23 spline and I need 10.  We have another parts store in town so I will give them a shot at it.
By charliemccraney - 7 Years Ago
The long 11" bolt pattern is the same for many vehicles.  All you need is an 11" clutch that comes with a disc with the right spline.  Go to Summit Racing, search for clutch and filter by diameter and spline.  Should be loads of options.
By paul2748 - 7 Years Ago
Google Centerforce.  They have all kinds of pressure plates and discs.  I have one of theirs in my 54 with a 312 and toploader.
By Drexel - 7 Years Ago
Thanks Charlie.  I took a little more time on the Summit page and found what I think will work. Kit MU7350-1 has the 10 spline disc although it does not specifically list the 292 Y-Block.   The other kit MU7350-1A has the 23 spline disc and appears to be the same with exception of the disc and lists the Y-Block application.  Thinking the "A" designation on the end of the part number applies to the different disc.  Any thoughts before I purchase?  Thanks all.  Dave
By lowrider - 7 Years Ago
Fort Wayne Clutch will build what you need. 800-258-8243
By charliemccraney - 7 Years Ago
I think the plate and disc will work.  The throwout bearing  may not since those are not generally as universal.
By Vic Correnti - 7 Years Ago
Here is a link that lists cars that use a 11" for the 10 spline, a parts store should be able to get you one. 
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ctf-df559000/applications
By 57RancheroJim - 7 Years Ago
I would be skeptical of that listing at Summit. It says 1 3/8" input shaft, thats a truck trans input size. The T10 should be  1" if I recall correctly.
By Vic Correnti - 7 Years Ago
OPPs, that was for a top loader.
By YBLOCKEREDH - 7 Years Ago
I got mine from John Mummert...
Gary
By slumlord444 - 7 Years Ago

If you have an 11" my recommendation would be a diaphragm clutch rather than a long type. Less pedal pressure in my experience. Before I went to the large input toploader I had an 11" diaphragm clutch for a 390 Ford Pick Up. Worked great and less pedal pressure than the long clutch I had before.

By Lord Gaga - 7 Years Ago
I'm running an 11" diaphragm type LuK clutch assembly in my '57 with a T-85 O.D. (10 spline 1 "). It was listed for a '62 406. Light pedal, no slip and reasonably priced.
http://www.luk.de/content.luk.de/en/products/clutch_systems_new/clutch_systems_new.jsp

My T85 came out of a 1961 390/401hp and has a 23 spline 1"  input. 
Edit: corrected
By 9310alloy - 7 Years Ago
T 85 maindrives cars (not trucks) in overdrive or straight 3 speeds.... As far as I have seen & rebuilt & according to my B/W factory parts book are all 1" x 23 spline & 1" x 10 spline. Most 1956 & 57 Fords / Mercs were the 1" x 10 spline. 1958 to 62 were 1" x 23 spline. Gear tooth count on maindrives are the same 19t. so they interchange.
Mike
By 9310alloy - 7 Years Ago
My 1960 T85 OD .. 1" x 23 spline
By DryLakesRacer - 7 Years Ago
For a throw out bearing there are many that will fit depending on the style of pressure plate you use. I have many different depths and they all fit the same fork. Pain in the butt, but I bought what I thought was right the first time, put it on the pivot ball, slid on the t.o. bearing and slid in the trans. The end of the fork was not where I wanted it. Took in back apart, bought one with approximately a 3/8" added collar, put all bactogether and it was right where I wanted it for the linkage. Good luck.
9310alloy (3/16/2017)
My 1960 T85 OD .. 1" x 23 spline
You are probably right, I thought it was 1 1/16" but it was 1" 23 after I checked paper work from the disk. Old brain farts LOL.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/3e3c5226-ff45-4359-b6c3-dd6e.jpg

By Ted - 7 Years Ago
For 1963, the input shaft for the B/W T-85 OvrDrv tranny went to 1 1/16” X 10 spline.  I have one here I pulled from a 1963 Galaxy that had a 352.  This tranny bolted in a ’55 Ford car with a 272 with the appropriate clutch disk being used.  I did have to modify the transmission mount accordingly but the column shift hooked right up.

I also have here a T-85 3 spd O.D. tranny sitting here from a 1967 Ford pickup that also has the 1 1/16” X 10 spline input but the transmission has the shorty tail housing.