75 to 80 all day long

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic127359.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By junkyardjeff - 8 Years Ago
Right now my sunliner has a 351-W and just got back from a trip to Florida yesterday going 75 to 80 all the way there and back and that got me wondering will a Y block be able to do that too,I had never driven a older motor like that before so I do not know what to expect. I do plan on keeping the gears to around 3.00 and most likely have a FMX trans,I do plan on building another car to do these long distance trips (one I can lock up) with the 351 but still would like to take the sunliner on some long trips. I like to get where I am going quickly.
By 62bigwindow - 8 Years Ago
I don't think it would be a problem. My 56 with a overdrive trans can do 70 without any issues.
By charliemccraney - 8 Years Ago
It will be able to do that easily.
By Ted - 8 Years Ago
See if this helps to answer your question.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic121710.aspx
Even though I had many old cars over the years I never really drove them hard like I did with the latemodels and never drove them more them maybe 125 miles each way,the sunliiner is the first I have driven very far but does have a newer motor in it so I would still like to take it on long trips after it gets y block powered again.
By paul2748 - 8 Years Ago
I've made two trips across the US in my 56 Bird with a 312 and an automatic (1 st with a Fordo, the second with a C4).  RPM's were about 2800.  We traveled most of the day as 65- 70 MPH.  The engine was none of the worse for doing it.  The engine runs great.  I don't know what the mileage is on it (replalcement block when I got it) but the only thing I did was replace the heads with a original set (had later heads on it) because of valve inversion..
By charliemccraney - 8 Years Ago
While the 351 is newer, I think it is a stretch to call it modern, even in comparison to a Y.  A 351 is more or less the  same technology as a Y but in a different configuration.  Bottom line, if the Windsor can do it, then the Y Block can, and vice versa.  There may be some improvements (some may argue downgrades) but they are not leaps and bounds better.

The significant benefit of the small block is IF you have problems, you'll be able to get parts more easily in an emergency situation.
All the drivetrain is older then 30 years old but rebuilt,the 351 is a mid 80s motor and the trans is a mid 70s c-4 and the 8 inch is from a 75 maverick so nothing is modern.
By speedpro56 - 8 Years Ago
I've driven these yblocks hundreds of thousands of miles and they stand up to any of my so called modern engines at any speed long or short distances. When I bought my 1956 Sunliner in 1974 stock 292 Fordo tranny I drove it to Myrtle Beach S.C. and back to Asheville, N.C. 300 miles each way 70 to 80 mph steady. The car had been setting for 15 years when I bought it and sound great when Started and a new set of mufflers. After new brakes, hoses, belts, tires she was ready to go, and go she did and what a great time I had with the top down.
By DANIEL TINDER - 8 Years Ago
62bigwindow (11/30/2016)
I don't think it would be a problem. My 56 with a overdrive trans can do 70 without any issues.

Since many interstate speed limits have been raised to 70 or 75, most traffic now cruises at 80, and thus the police would be unlikely to bother anyone not exceeding 85. My stock/high-mileage '55 with OD easily stays with that flow, though kicking down to underdrive for passing at that speed sometimes DOES approach my rev limit before I return to the right lane.
50s era vehicles were really not designed to maintain those speeds continuously, and while modern radial tires can now make it practical, the fact that the personel, equipment and parts to keep the original drum brakes up to the tire's potential no longer exist, worries me much more than any question re: the sturdy Y-Block's reliability or ability to absorb punishment. I understand the high-torque 292 powered very many commercial trucks for multiple hundreds of thousands of miles with few issues. I don't believe the thin cast Windsor (or sbc) would quickly come to mind when listing famous 'truck engines' (?).
I do have the brakes to handle stopping from those speeds and with the recently added booster it really stops good now.
By slumlord444 - 8 Years Ago
In 1957 Ford ran several stock sedans over 100 mph for 100,000 miles as an endurance stunt with no major problems. The drive trains will handle it ok. Tires and brakes are better now.
By speedpro56 - 8 Years Ago
The interstate system was being built to support 80 mph speeds in the 1950s of which the cars were designed to do and the style of brakes were drum style well up into the 60s with power of the engines in excess of 400 hp. Coming off that kind of speed on a interstate slowing down to whatever speed you needed such 60, 50,etc was not a big deal. I did it all the time and still do with no issues at all. I will admit I feel I need an extra gear when driving the sunliner from being used to driving cars with overdrive transmissions. I bought my 56 crown factory 312 in Jan.1965 and started driving it in Dec. of 1965 so I've been Y-blocking a long time. Still have the car so it's no wonder I like these engines.
By Lou - 8 Years Ago
Here in Connecticut the top speed limit is 65 the cops give you 72 after that it gets real expensive real fast. Over the last 50 years all my Y block fords have been factory stock and I've never had a problem stopping with drum brakes.