A 1956 T Bird

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic125144.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Coyotes bird - 8 Years Ago
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/43cf4b9d-fee7-4790-9bcf-3171.jpg

This is a 1956 T Bird I restored some time ago. (Senior Award Winner)
By slumlord444 - 8 Years Ago
Nice! If they only didn't have that spare tire hanging out the back end. No offense meant, I just never did like a conferential kit. Friend had a nice '53 Ford hardtop with one back in high school. I always told him he should back it up to the railroad tracks and wait for a train to come along and take it off. 
By paul2748 - 8 Years Ago
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/fafddfc0-b169-467a-ab59-3b57.jpg

Got one just like it - color - Fiesta Red.  Pic taken in San Jose CA.  Drove it from NJ.
By NoShortcuts - 8 Years Ago
WoW!  Looks nice, Paul.   Smile
By Meandean - 8 Years Ago
slumlord444 (8/20/2016)
Nice! If they only didn't have that spare tire hanging out the back end. No offense meant, I just never did like a conferential kit. Friend had a nice '53 Ford hardtop with one back in high school. I always told him he should back it up to the railroad tracks and wait for a train to come along and take it off. 

I thought I was the only one who didn't like the Continental Kits.  Really, on any car.
To each his own, of course.
By speedpro56 - 8 Years Ago
The continental kits on 1956 Tbirds were standard equipment, but not on 55 and 57 birds.

By Coyotes bird - 8 Years Ago
And that is why I waned to do a 55 T Bird. My 55 is going to look like an over all restoration. But i'm not taking the body off the frame.http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/6c5e0f18-aa99-4d6a-93e6-f54f.jpg
By PF Arcand - 8 Years Ago
I agree with the negative view of  the Conti kit on the 1956s.. I think it was at that point, that Ford more or less threw in the towel as far as it being a true sports car & left that area to G.M's Corvette.. However, nowdays U could remove the kit & obtain a suitable compact spare.. I've seen one in a magazine which was done that way. It looked stock.  I think a 55 bumper was installed.   
I have to admit I do like the continental kit on the birds, to me they add class and of course that's just my opinion. I do like them without the kit as well meaning I wouldn't order a kit if it came without one.
The kit was used to allow for more trunk space.
By 2721955meteor - 8 Years Ago
Rodger  i have a old book that claims 1955 birds where 50/50 weight, so a cont kit on a 56 would ad some to the rear. my 1s bird was a 55 and the cont kit was long and heavy,i never put 1 on due to that.i put a 312 in as bought with no engine.it was not easy to break the rear loose due to good rear weight distabrution.when i sold it the guy wanted a cont kit, they where a bit of a abortion with the crome exhaust extetion and made the car to long for my likeing. cliff
By dbird - 8 Years Ago
All kinds of reasons for the spare, my favorite was it added downforce to the rear, much like a modern spoiler because the 55s got light in the rear at speed. 

Don

55 'Bird and 56 F100 project, cab just back on the frame today.
My thoughts on the engine placement in the Bird vs the car was the Bird already had a better balance because the engine was set back 10 inches more in the Bird than the car, being more behind the front wheels so they wouldn't need the kit for balance.
By Lou - 8 Years Ago
In the 1980s I had a chance to sit down and talk with several engineers who were in Ford in the 1950s. Their orders were, design a car that sells. To quote one of them when I asked why they didn't keep better records " Cars were consumer product, like a refrigerator or stove we never dreamed anyone would care or want to restore or collect them."   
By YBLOCKMERC - 8 Years Ago
I'm in the no-continental kit crowd. The little Birds are the only cars I know where the spare tire dictated design. In 1955, luggage space was severely limited so the continental kit was added to free up trunk space. For '57, they had time to redesign the trunk and stretched it a few inches to get the spare back in the trunk.
When I got my '54 Merc it had an aftermarket kit for the 1st 45 minutes....that's how long it took to get the kit off and re-hang the bumper. The rear end of a '54 Merc is way too nice to ruin it with all that junk.
By DANIEL TINDER - 8 Years Ago
The first T-Bird I saw up close (10 year old kid) was a new '56. I was impressed then by the gimicky cont. kit & portholes, and the owner even had a car telephone installed on the dash! But, I also got a whipping around the same time because I thought my father's Oldsmobile would look a lot better with huge flame decals behind the front wheelwells (purchased for pennies from the local Western Auto store).
Years later, when I considered maybe actually owning one someday, I thought the larger 312 motor & 12V electrics still made the '56 a better choice. But, if (like me) you are interested in driving a low mileage/largely original car (TIME MACHINE) and especially don't want to deal with all the hassles & grief associated with customizing (a mild custom black '56 with a 55 top & rear bumper might qualify as the most beautiful car I had ever seen), once you get an eyeful of a really nice '55, with it's clean, uncluttered (NO PORTHOLES) classic lines and discover how much better it handles, you'll likely never look back!