292 main cap bolts

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic118321.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By redrod39 - 9 Years Ago
I would like to know if anyone has a 292 parts motor that I can get a main cap bolt from. I lost one between home and the machine shop.
By carl - 9 Years Ago
redrod39 (11/6/2015)
I would like to know if anyone has a 292 parts motor that I can get a main cap bolt from. I lost one between home and the machine shop.
where are you located.  Carl

25 Holly cir, Midway,Ga 31320
Steve Takacs
By NoShortcuts - 9 Years Ago
Welcome to the site, Steve.

Hmmmm...  Remember that there are two lengths of 292 main cap bolts.

1955 - April (?) 1959 are the shorter bolts
May (?) 1959 [B9AE 6015-F blocks and thereafter] - 1964 are the longer ones.

The longer main cap bolts will not fit the earlier blocks unless you drill the main bearings saddle holes slightly deeper (two lip end mill cutter, not a standard drill bit) and use a bottoming tap to extend the depth of the thread to the bottom of the drilled main cap bolt hole.

Click the link below for John Mummert's listing of engine block casting ID info.
http://www.ford-y-block.com/Block%20identification.htm

Hope this helps   Smile
By carl - 9 Years Ago
redrod39 (11/6/2015)
25 Holly cir, Midway,Ga 31320
Steve Takacs
Steve give me the length you  need and I will send you one   Carl

Send me both, then I could send you back the other if you want. Stakman57@yahoo.com. Stecpve Takacs 25 holly cir, Midway ga,31320. Email me so I can send you postage. Do you have Paypal?
By PF Arcand - 9 Years Ago
Steve: If you lay out your bolts & examine them carefully, you should be able to tell which length one is missing..
By carl - 9 Years Ago
redrod39 (11/13/2015)

Send me both, then I could send you back the other if you want. Stakman57@yahoo.com. Stecpve Takacs 25 holly cir, Midway ga,31320. Email me so I can send you postage. Do you have Paypal?

I would be a lot easier if you just measure the ones you have so I can just ship you one,no charge   Carl

By Ted - 9 Years Ago
Knowing what year block you have could help but a quick measurement on your end would simplify this.  I have an assortment of those main cap bolts in a box but do need to know the length you need so you can be helped.  As stated earlier, the main cap bolt lengths were not a consistent length during the years of manufacture for the Y engines.
I will measure one when I get them back from the machine shop
I got my block back from the machine shop and I measured one of the main cap bolts. It measures 2 and 15/16. My address is, Steve Takacs 25 holly cir. Midway, GA. 31320.
By carl - 9 Years Ago
redrod39 (11/18/2015)

I got my block back from the machine shop and I measured one of the main cap bolts. It measures 2 and 15/16. My address is, Steve Takacs 25 holly cir. Midway, GA. 31320.

Steve. not sure how you measured your bolt but the ones I have are 3 1/4 " long that is total length including the head.  Carl

By Ted - 9 Years Ago
Bolt lengths are typically measured as ‘under the head length’.
You don't include the head when measuring bolts, you always measure from UNDER the head.
By carl - 9 Years Ago
Sorry about the mistake,the bolts I have are 2 7/8 " long,and yes I do know how bolts are measured just had a senior moment    Carl 
By carl - 9 Years Ago

Steve  I shipped the bolt out today by usps,should get to you early next week.  Carl

Thank you carl , I really appreciate that.