T85 overdrive

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic114919.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By 62bigwindow - 9 Years Ago
WTB a T85 overdrive for my 56.
By Y block guy - 9 Years Ago
Hi, I have one out of my 56 vic, it was rebuilt for $1,110.59, WORKS great,  went to a 5 speed.  Open to offers located in wa state
pm sent
Still looking for one.
Bump
By 56vikki - 9 Years Ago
I have one rebuilt in 2013 about 500 miles on it.850.00.im in nj.
Still looking.
By NoShortcuts - 9 Years Ago
Saw this on eBay.  This is not my listing.

Comments:
- helical trans main shaft makes it a T-85 not a T-89...
- don't be mislead by the T-89 casting number on the 9 bolt curved side cover, trans is a T-85...
- T85C-1A casting number on trans case makes it a T-85 for sure...
- 10 spline clutch input shaft makes this '57 and earlier application, I think... Ford went to 23 spline in (?) '58 (?) and up
- 16 spline output shaft... the yoke for this is tough to come by, out of production LONG time...  '55, '56, '57 Mercury standard AND MercoMatic trans applications use this yoke!
- later (?) '58 up (?) T-85s use a 31 spline output shaft...
- this trans has both the solenoid and the governor... are they 6 volt or 12 volt??? '55 Merc T-85 ODs were 6 volt...
- CA eBay listing... shipping of these trans is not cheap... weight is ~150 lbs.
- seller comments on reverse gear wear... several new replacement reverse gears for the T-85 are regularly listed on eBay

Hope this helps.   Smile

Click the link below.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221886190778?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AI
Thanks for posting that. I found one but it is out of a 62 so that means my new clutch won't work as it is a 10 spline. So if I read that right I need to get a different clutch disc.
Me thinks so...BUT... I've given up swearing to anything.

I saw one later T-85 (based upon the 31 spline output shaft) that had a 10 spline input shaft.  I suspect that the input shafts can be interchanged and may have have been swapped in  a rebuild...  Don't know for sure.

Trying to help, but not an expert on the subject...

Best Wishes.   Smile
I appreciate all the help. I just got done looking and it does seem that info is correct. I assume I can just get a different 10 " clutch disc and the pressure plate will still work?
Ford used both 10 inch and 11 inch clutch disc / pressure plate applications with the two input shaft spline configuration that we've been talking about.

The flywheel you're using will determine which size clutch disc and pressure plate you're going to use.  The stock FoMoCo y-block flywheels I've encountered were drilled for one size pressure plate or the other, not for either or.

Hope this helps.   Smile
By miker - 9 Years Ago
I've always been able to find a disc with the right splines, but IIRC, one time there was a hub interference problem. Just went to a different brand, or style, or something. Recall isn't my strong suit these days.
By denny - 6 Years Ago
still trying to figure out all this web sight stuff, so forgive me if iam in the wrong AREA ,DO YOU STILL HAVE T-85 FOR SALE?
By NoShortcuts - 6 Years Ago
Denny.  You're in a different thread than the last time you wrote asking about this topic.

I had email communication with Royce Brechler last week on 10/22 .  Royce wrote:

I have a non overdrive T-85 . It has part of a shifter attached...  not sure what brand but it is missing the shift lever. I would have to pull the cover off to check how it looks inside..  It is missing the driveshaft yoke.

I'd recommend that you email Royce at   brechlrl@charter.net   and ask him:
- what the input shaft spline count and the output shaft spline count is for the transmission.  The 30 something output spline yoke is easy to obtain. IF it's a 16 spline count spline  I'm pretty sure I can get one for you.  I expect my cost for this hard-to-find used piece will be 45 bucks plus USPS postage from a fellow East of me.
- consider asking Royce to pull the 9 bolt curved side cover and inspect the condition of the cluster gear, the teeth on the first & reverse gear, and the condition of the teeth on the reverse idler gear. 
- Also, ask Royce for the raised Borg Warner part number on the transmission extension housing.  IF I know that ID number, I can look-up what Ford or Mercury application the transmission came out of.
- After Royce has told you how the gears inside of the transmission look, ask him how much he'll sell it to you for IF you like what he says.  The 3 speed T-85 he had advertised on here 3 years ago, he was asking $150 for.  I suspect that did not include the shipping expense.

Keep me in the loop on how this unfolds and I'll help you as much as I can.  Smile