GOODBYE COLUMBUS

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic113280.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Lord Gaga - 9 Years Ago
The Columbus meet has been going downhill for years now. It's a shame, but that's the fact! Does anyone here remember when the Ford meet was held in Xenia Ohio at Kil-Kare Raceway? If so, you'll remember how nice it was. Xenia is a swell little town with good accommodations and a great 1/4 mile strip. A real plus was the oval track nearby for Saturday evening entertainment!
  Will the honcho in charge look into the possibility of moving the shootout to Kil-Kare???

http://www.kilkare.com/
By charliemccraney - 9 Years Ago
It's just a little bit closer for me, so I wouldn't mind that move.  Do they have some sort of general events that all Y blocks would fit in?  That's what is good about Ford Expo, anything can run, as long as it is Ford powered.  It's not some specific points race or even a nostalgia race, where many of the Y-Powered vehicles that typically show up at Columbus could not compete because they are not period correct.  I've heard talk of moving to a Nostalgia event but that just wouldn't work for everyone, unless some sort of exemption could be had for those only running in the Y Shootout.

I think Columbus will get better.  Last year was terrible, but it was really the track's fault, since the Mustangs got out and from what I understand, they are going to try harder this year.
By MoonShadow - 9 Years Ago
Their schedule shows them closed Labor Day weekend. Didn't look too long but do the have a nostalgia meet on a different date. If we take a look at our guys from the furthest west and east where does the middle fall and whats available in that region? I'll do some searching too. Chuck
Omaha is about the center, between 1600 and 1700 miles from Maine, Miami, San Diego, San Francisco, and Seattle.

I like that others meets have begun to pop up.  That way, everyone can participate in something that may be a little closer to home.  I think growing the regional events will be best.  More central might draw more, different people, but others may stop going all together.
By Larry Short - 9 Years Ago
If their schedule shows they are closed that could be part of the problem. People plan early for the racing year. If they don't think the track is open they'll
plan and go some where else. If they could get some of the local Ford, Mustang, Mercury clubs involved in the racing and show it would help. When Charles Crites ran the meet it was always packed. They have to do something to make people want to come back, lower prices to race, show car and swap meet spaces would be a start. 

Larry Short 
Kil-Kare is closed for Labor Day.  Columbus, National Trail, is open for Ford Expo, like normal.
Charlie, I meant about 1/2 way between Illinois and New Hampshire. The western folks don't often make the trip. Although more central might bring them more often. Bowling Green isn't bad for both groups. Also the track in Pittsburgh. It would be really great to hook up with the All Ford guys but if that won't work a nostalgia or nostalgia gasser meet. As far as the other Ohio tracks I'm sure Bob Martin is familiar with them and knows where we might fit. Maybe we could grab a weekend and do a pre 70 Ford show and include a "heads up" class or two. ??
By Canadian Hot Rodder - 9 Years Ago
Since we are on the topic, Bob Martin has talked to me in the past and lately about an event up in Canada. How many of you guys would be willing to cross the border and race up here? There is a track called Toronto Motor Sports park in Cayuga. It is about an hour north of Niagara falls Buffalo. They have an all Ford even there, might be worth inquiring if I could show enough interest from US racers? 
Rob, I actually looked at Toronto with the same thoughts but of there is the passport requirement but that's not a major issue. Chuck
By Jimz Bird - 9 Years Ago
Just a thought.
Has there been any consideration of someplace in North Carolina for an East Coast Regional?
That is fairly central on the East Coast.

By yalincoln - 9 Years Ago
i think norwalk has a all ford show again? they have a great track! i used to go to the all ford show untill they dropped it a few years ago.
By Glen Henderson - 9 Years Ago
Columbus is a long pull for me 715 miles and even longer for guys like Ted Eaton, Bolling Green is the most central location for the guys from up north and those of us coming up from Dixie.
Its just under 1000 miles from New Hampshire and further from Bill in Maine. Other than Ted and the other Texas guys regular attendees are from Illinois and points east. Then we have the southern boys. That's why I suggested looking somewhere 1/2 way between Illinois and the east coast. Bowling Green is a thought along with the Pittsburgh Raceway Park. 
By LON - 9 Years Ago
Hey Chuck.
 I've just done a few sums . Columbus is 9172 mile from Brisbane .( as the crow flys ) Half way for me is about Hawaii ??? Why don't he have the shootout in California ??  Your car would cost an arm & a leg to get to Hawaii .
Lon
I know the drive to the midwest is long for us east coast folks but we also have people coming the other way. For that reason I am hoping we can find a track that is equally located for all of us. That's why I suggested Bowling Green, KY and Pittsburgh Raceway in PA. Both tracks are a little better for the east coast folks and not too much more for the western. Very few folks show up from west of Missouri or Iowa. I'm waiting for Bob Martin to weigh in on this. He is the one that has made Columbus happen for all these years. It would also be sort of neat to find a old style small track that we would be the major event. Chuck
By speedpro56 - 9 Years Ago
If Columbus doesn't  work out then Bowling Green Ky. would work fine for me.
By Bob Martin - 9 Years Ago
Easy answer on Kil-Kare:  We cannot afford to pay the insurance and workers overhead.  Enough said.

Columbus:  2014 Columbus was another great year – positive for surprises on the track, but spooky for the lack of cars, spectators, swaps, etc.  But I’m happy to report that Roger Gustin and Track Manager Mike Fornataro have been busy getting preliminary Flyers (below) out to various Ford and FE groups via Zach Straits.  I found this flyer on Zach’s Facebook page, and sent one to Gary Burnette (his ’56 Sunliner is on it).  Zach, presently from Virginia and friend of Roger Sprouse (F-Code ’57 Ford “Gone With The Wind” 312, FMX), is a former Y-Blocker, current FE Starliner guru and FE group organizer.  Zach grew up in the same Portsmouth, Ohio area as Roger Gustin, has known him for 40 years, and is helping get the word out for Roger.  Any FE groups that are attracted to Columbus is a major PLUS. Thanks Zach.  Bob Martin, Cincinnati
Ihttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4e393a8f-ae5d-49c4-b123-84ac.jpg