2015 Meltdown Drags at Byron, Il July 17-19 2015

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic111565.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Vic Correnti - 9 Years Ago
The registration opened Jan. 2nd so if we have a shootout there again we need to get registered, it costs nothing to register, I am #236. There was over 500 cars last year, it is a heads up 66 and older cars, stock to wild, many gassers.
By Larry Short - 9 Years Ago
Vic,
I'm thinking about going to it with my 56. Do they have a web site to registrar at, or what is the best way to do it ?
Thanks
Larry Short

Your car will rock there. The site is http://meltdowndrags.com/pre-register/. Just click the preregister tab at the top.
Thanks Vic,

I went to site and pre registered just now. I guess that means I'll need to have my stuff ready.

Larry Short 
Vic, just got my register number for the race # 299. They said there only taking so many cars. Didn't say what the cut off would be.

Larry Short
Larry, last year they had as I remember over 500 entries. They run the old gas classes which is fun for heads up racing. I enjoy it because of the cars you get to race against like Willy's, Henry J's, Anglia's, old vintage type hot rods like it was in the day. Bob pays for every scrub you beat which is easy money. This year they are running gassers only on Saturday afternoon which for me is nice to be able to watch instead of racing. Saturday has always been the big day in the past so this change should be interesting. It would be nice if more Y-blockers would show up for it.
By RB - 9 Years Ago
I wonder what their rules are on what constitutes being a "gasser".. I plan to be there.  just got my OK from registration..They might take more than 500 cars now that they know and can prepare but not a whole lot more  the place was packed.. We do need more Y blockers!!  I think Tom D will have his Ranchero..  
By RB - 9 Years Ago
I am # 319. This thing is going to fill up fast
By Bob Martin - 9 Years Ago
Wow, 319 already - better get my '56 Mercury pre-registered!!!  Have the following ready (from their Website info), and use Vic's link above:
1) Name; 2) Address (street, city, state, zip); 3) Phone Number; 4) Year/Make/Model; 5) Picture of the vehicle you are bringing (with the correct [era correct] wheels on it); 6) Car group or organization you are part of;  Go with Y-Block Group; 7) Mode of transportation to the track (driving the car in, truck and open trailer, camper and open trailer, encolsed trailer, etc); 8) Length of the rig you are bringing.

The reason they ask for the last two are because of space limitations with 500 race cars and both pit and spectator pits full last year. They had to use farm fields across the street last year.
Bob Martin, Cincinnati

By Bob Martin - 9 Years Ago
Ouch, I'm number 358 - they picked up 39 entries in 3-days!!!  Getting too close to 500 with 6-months to go
Hey Guys,

Is there a motel that is a good place to stay when at the Melt Down Drags.
I think the way it's filling up for the race I better my reservations now to make sure to get a room.

Larry Short 
Larry, I was waiting on RB to comment on this since he stays somewhere when he comes. I don't know if you are a camper, but I usually stay at the track in a camper. Last year I slept in my truck, they do have a shower. I will be in my camper this year. The Byron Dragway site lists some Motels, which most are about 30 minutes from the track. The local police let us drive into the town of Byron with open headers and slicks for dinner each night which is nice. 
Thanks Vic,
I have a 39' RV I could bring but it's to much of a hassle, plus the cost of fuel.
My wife a daughter will probably come with me and they like to leave the track and go shopping . 
Sounds pretty cool about driving cars in to town, Can't wait !!!

Larry Short
By RB - 9 Years Ago
Larry I stay in Rockford around the intersection of I-39 and hwy 20.. Lots of shopping and hotels right there.. It is quite a haul to the track but is probably the best option for the women folk  lol  I know because my wife will be with me as well.
By pegleg - 9 Years Ago
I've tried three times to pre register. Have not been able to. Guess it's sold out.
By pintoplumber - 9 Years Ago
Frank, if you can't get in, come to Beaver Springs the week before. It's their York US 30 nostalgia weekend. Bob Martin says we can race 3 days. Linda Vaughn is supposed to be there.
By ian57tbird - 9 Years Ago
We stayed at a Rockford Walmart, not far from Tom's house. The price was right.w00t
I just made hotel reservations at the Fairfield Inn in Rockford Il. for the Melt Down Drags. It's about 25 miles from track. Girl said they were filling up fast. Is this a good place to stay or is there something closer that would be better ?

Thanks,
Larry Short
By ecode ragtop - 9 Years Ago
Larry, I don't think you are going to find any thing closer, and there is a lot of shopping close to there. The Cherryvale mall. Also a lot of good places to eat. If you need any help, with any thing just call. Tom Drummond 815-871-8017
Thank you, I guess if your going and need a room, better not wait to long. They said most of their rooms were booked.

Larry Short
By ecode ragtop - 9 Years Ago
Larry, I only live about 15 miles from there and have run at the last 3 meltdowns, Also run the 57 Ranchero with the Lincoln Y Block at Columbus. Did you sell all of your 56 Fiberglass parts? Tom