replacement dizzy

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic110587.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By bayboy - 10 Years Ago
has any boby fit or modified a dizzy from a 351 Windsor sb with electronic ignition for a yblk  ??? or would it even work  or does it rotate in the wrong direction   
By charliemccraney - 10 Years Ago
Yep, it's been done.  Do a search for duraspark and quite a few topics should come up.  Here's one to get you started.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic5574-1.aspx
By 2721955meteor - 10 Years Ago
Have done several they work great,as the site states later y block dist are easey as dura spark stuf swaps easy.. i have converted the early style(1st type with cent advance) buy useing the upper portion of the 302 cuting the shaft and welding to the y shaft as the 302 shaft is 2 short.it was more work than makes sense. turne 1in of y shaft down and driled 302 shaft presed together  then miged th joint..was telling mark about my  eforts and he told me about the site and we have since converted  3 of them the easey way.The rewards of this site are excelent, especialey great when the experts put on drawings and wireing inst.  cliff
By lyonroad - 10 Years Ago
The expert that Cliff is referring to is Steve Metzger aka "Greenbird".  If you want to do a Duraspark conversion search out his posts.  You won't be disapointed.
By Kahuna - 9 Years Ago
What is the advantage to this conversion?
By lowrider - 9 Years Ago
I converted mine to Duraspark on my 57 Ford 292 a few years ago. Starting and idling were greatly improved on mine and runs great driving down the road. I picked up the factory wiring loom when I gathered up parts to do the conversion so the installation looks almost factory installed. Haven't had a bit of trouble with it out here in the AZ. heat. X2 on Greenbirds knowledge on this conversion.
By charliemccraney - 9 Years Ago
The biggest benefit, if you stick to Duraspark, or Duraspark / GM Hei hybrid, is that you can find replacement parts practically anywhere.
You can also use the Duraspark distributor components to trigger pretty much any aftermarket ignition box.