56 f 350 a new project

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic106724.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By pintoplumber - 10 Years Ago
It's been about 12 years since I finished the blue truck, so I needed a new project.

By slick56 - 10 Years Ago
Yep Dennis, that's a project all right...

BigGrin
By Daniel Jessup - 10 Years Ago
Dennis,

Glad to see you finally picked it up and YOU POSTED PHOTOS!!! That reminds me of the 56 F100 I did for my dad way back. It came in boxes, literally, and all of the front end sheet metal removed, etc. Even the cab was not bolted down. However a rebuilt 272 and good truck 4 speed with the Granny Lo gear was in place when it arrived. I will have to dig out the old photos some time and post a few for you. I will say this - the body alignment on that truck's front end went very easily - I like the way it all goes together. I just hope the 55 I am working on goes back together so well.

This being the Y block site, we have just got to ask you - what will you be going with under the hood?

Did you get any running boards?
I'll put a 292 in it. I'll need to find a transmission. The running boards are rusty, came with a pair of f 600 boards, which I guess are different. The black front end is f 600, the fenders in the scruburban are 350's, rusty. Both hoods are on the back. I haven't had time to examine it much. Haven't unloaded the suburban yet.
4 of the wheels are 17.5 and 6 of them are 16".
By dbird - 10 Years Ago
Nice project, always liked trucks.  Curious though, how much heavier, physically, are the F3 parts as opposed to the F1?  I keep thinking that as you get into the heavier duty vehicles weight becomes an issue and a forklift becomes a necessary shop tool.  Axles come to mind.

Looking forward to seeing your progress,
Don
Dennis,

We have got to hear more about your truck! Everything get home ok? How is sorting those boxes all panning out for you?

Any chance that F600 hood had that good looking hood scoop on there?
By Glen Henderson - 10 Years Ago
Nice project Dennis, let me know if you need something, I may just have it stuck back.
By pegleg - 10 Years Ago
That should keep you out of trouble for a while.
The truck is still on the trailer, the suburban hasn't been unloaded yet. We're up at the cabin in the mountains watching the bears. Had one within 10 feet of me last night. On the other side of the car.
Stretch the frame, put a ramp body on it and you have one cool hauler!
By pegleg - 10 Years Ago
So it was the car that kept you out of trouble and not the truck? 
Here you go Frank.
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
The first two were from 4th of July weekend.

By MoonShadow - 10 Years Ago

I'm feeling ramp truck here for some odd reason. It would look great with your blue truck on the back! Chuck

By pegleg - 10 Years Ago
I'm glad he wasn't hungry for a plumber. Pretty decent sized brown bear. There are some BIG fellas in PA. Saw some in the forest around Clearfield when we lived there. 
I got the suburban unloaded yesterday. I bought 2x4x8' and put them up in the garage ceiling rafter to rafter. Then I laid all the extra parts up there. In the cardboard boxes were plastic baggies with notes where it came from.

I plan on using the truck for towing, just not a ramp truck. I got a catalog from Mid Fifty, and they show a 9' express bed. I would like to use that and make a dually pickup.
Glen Henderson (8/15/2014)
Nice project Dennis, let me know if you need something, I may just have it stuck back.

Glen, I sent you a pm last week. Check if you got it.
Replied
I got to work on the truck saturday, I needed an empty trailer for sunday. Got some of the frame painted with epoxy primer .
[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]
I'm envious. Sick I just now got the transmission and drive shaft out of the way and have a good bit of degreasing to do!

I got some more work done this weekend. Finished the frame in epoxy primer and started painting black until I ran out of paint.
[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

The floor pans, cab corners, and door sills have been already replaced. That saves some work.

[/URL]
By pegleg - 10 Years Ago
Wow Dennis, that things in pretty good shape for it's age. 
I got the frame painted and put it back on the trailer. Moved the camper out and put the cab in. Maybe I can get some work done on the cab for a couple of weeks.

[/URL]

[/URL]
By lyonroad - 10 Years Ago
Dennis, I see your cab has the original stamped metal rear cab mounts.  I have a pair of new Heavy duty cast mounts that i don't need.  They are yours if you want them.  Ican mail them to you sometime in the next two weeks or so.

Send me a PM if you want them.

Mark, I sent you a pm,[hopefully]. 
Sent a PM back.
By Canadian Hot Rodder - 10 Years Ago
LOVE the truck Denis!!! 
I got some sandblasting done today. The outside of the truck and about 1/3 of the roof. I have to keep up with Dan

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]
pintoplumber (9/21/2014)
I got some sandblasting done today. The outside of the truck and about 1/3 of the roof. I have to keep up with Dan.

Tongue Dennis! You are a whole lot more ahead of me - it's more like I need to keep up with you. I still have to get that frame done and pretty much my entire front end needs a complete rebuild. I am going to add those aerostar springs too and drop it about 2 or 3 inches all the way around. Say, what gun/gun tip size are you using to spray that epoxy primer? I am using a 1.4 for the DTM primer surfacer I am using and I think it is a tick too small. I use a 1.0 gun to do those small parts in Rustoleum Semi-gloss but I do like how they turn out.

What color are you planning on going with?

Dan, it's a DeVilbiss 1.8
I think I need a larger tip. The primer/surface sprayed well out of the gun, but when I cleaned IMMEDIATELY after shooting, the paint had already formed a thin film on the interior of the cup and the main cavity that leads to the fluid tip was all gunked up with hardened primer. I "think" that my 1.4 is not letting enough material through (or only thinner material) and the thicker material is just sitting back inside the gun itself. What a mess to clean up!!! I don't know, maybe I used too much hardener? but I thought I had the 4:1:1 ratio right in the cup.
Daniel, I have sprayed gallons of high build 2K primer with a 1.5 tip and not too many issues.  Perhaps you need a slower acting reducer.

Also you can try a 4:1:1.5 mix.  (1.5 reducer.

Good luck
I haven't posted a while on the truck. I hurt my back picking the last of my lima beans, so I didn't get any work done in november. My older brother helped me put the camper in the garage, and the truck cab came out. It's primered outside and I think I can cover it to survive the winter.

The frame is on the trailer, I have to unload it every time I take a load of water heaters to the scrap yard. About every 2 months.
Here's pictures of the body work. A lot of dings in the cab, it was a farm truck.

Some more.

By 57 Victoria - 10 Years Ago
Just curious, is there a difference in cab size between F100, 350 and 600, or is it the same cab but on a bigger heavier duty frame?
Cheers, Steve.
I did a 56 F100 for my dad back in the early 90's. It was the same size cab as the F350. I also had a 54 in college that I had purchased to do a full resto on but I had to sell it to pay my bill and stay in school (I hated selling that thing!!! It had a rebuilt 239 and 3 deuces sitting in the frame!)

I think the only difference in cabs is the COE design which is really a different animal altogether.
The frame on the 350 is heavier than a 100. The wheelbase is 20" longer. The front fender wheel openings are bigger on the 600. The cab size is the same.
pintoplumber (11/20/2014)
 The front fender wheel openings are bigger on the 600. The cab size is the same.

That would look cool on a F100 with those rat rod type 20"+ wheels.
By pintoplumber - 9 Years Ago
I got some work done over the holidays. I got the inside of the cab sanded and primered and the 1st coat of high build primer on the outside of the cab. No picture of that yet.

By 57FordPU - 9 Years Ago
Looks great Dennis.
By ian57tbird - 9 Years Ago
Dennis just be aware that primers can usually allow moisture through to the metal so it is good to seal it up with paint and not leave it too long just primed.
By Daniel Jessup - 9 Years Ago
Looking great... but how are you painting in those "frozen tundra" temperatures up there? Hehe
Ian, I've heard that before. I won't be putting color on until spring and warmer weather. I'm hoping I'll get by priming it this winter.

Dan, the garage is heated, radiant heat in the floor. All you have to do is cover up the blue truck. There's very little overspray with the low pressure system. No mist in the air.

Thanks Charlie

Seems I remember you talking about the radiant heat you have in the floor back a few years ago when we had those back to back snowstorms. You have it in your sidewalk too right? I wish I would have done that with shop - it would have been nice. Hindsight is always 20/20!

That would be this picture.

yep! that's the one.
By MoonShadow - 9 Years Ago
That's pipe under and boiler heat right? What does a system like that cost to run? Chuck

Chuck, I have either a .65 or .85 gallons an hour nozzle in right now. It runs pretty constant in the beginning. After the water gets warmed up, the burner cycles on and off. I bet I can burn 20 gallons of oil in a snowstorm.

How much snow did you get?
By MoonShadow - 9 Years Ago
Just shy of 2 feet. Was light and fluffy though so the snow blower handled it well. More coming starting tomorrow. Chuck

Got some more work done this weekend. My wife is having a fit that I'm painting this one blue too.

I got the cab painted this weekend. I'll probably reshoot the roof, I was having trouble with the gun.

By pegleg - 9 Years Ago
Looks familiar somehow! Wallymart have a blue sale?
Frank, I thought I'd start working on a fleet of trucks. I like that color blue.
pintoplumber (5/18/2015)
I got the cab painted this weekend. I'll probably reshoot the roof, I was having trouble with the gun.

I am glad I am not the only one! I shot some paint the other day and wondered where a few specks were coming from. Immediately disassembled my gun and found that I had not got it 100% clean like I thought I had. Fun to redo! I probably need to slow down a bit and not rush it to be honest. At any rate, I now clean out my guns with a little ACETONE and THINNER.

By pegleg - 9 Years Ago
Leeking plumbing Truck fleet. Well, blue is usually the color of water so that works I guess! Laugh It is going to look pretty good.
By pintoplumber - 7 Years Ago
Well, since I got a new hip I can work on the truck again. Been wet sanding the blue and getting the inner fenders ready. I got new headlight support panels and a new passenger fender. Feels good to be working on it again.

By MoonShadow - 7 Years Ago
Would make a really great hauler.
By pintoplumber - 5 Years Ago
Some updates. Hood is still in primer.
. I was looking for pictures of the painted fenders, but couldn’t find any.
I worked on the doors last year Memorial Day weekend.

Here’s some pictures from Harry’s.

By Daniel Jessup - 5 Years Ago
Keep it coming Dennis, love to see the progress photos and all the work you are accomplishing!
By Ted - 5 Years Ago
Always good to see a picture of Harry working.  Your engine looks great.
I had to replace the car timing cover with a truck timing cover so I could use a truck motor mount.

I think I’ve read that you can’t use a car engine in a truck because of the front sump. I think I’ll have enough clearance. Plus I have a car engine in the ‘54 for 16 years.
A lot of this stuff isn’t in chronological order. My left front fender from my ‘54 had some pinholes under the eyebrow. I was tired of doing bodywork back then, so I bought new ones. I decided to fix this one and use it on the ‘56. We go camping at least once a month, so I try to take stuff along to work on.

I bought new air deflectors and a new right front fender.

By Daniel Jessup - 5 Years Ago
Dennis,
I am curious to know something about those new sheet metal parts for your truck. Years ago I did a 1956 F100 for my dad and remember putting together all of that sheet metal up front. The fenders he had were pretty bad as well. As I recall, we ended up having a professional work on those fenders to help us out. Back then, I "think" there were some companies making new pieces but most of the guys we heard complained about fitment. Where did you get these new sheet metal pieces from and how do you like their fit to the original parts?

Glad to see your healthy enough to be at it again - I will be out in Red Lion this summer!
Dan, for the 56, I bought a passenger side from Midwest Early Ford at Carlisle. For the 54, in 2002 or 2003, I bought 2 fenders from a company further west. I can’t remember the name. They were newly coming out back then. I think the name Obsolete was in the company name. I don’t remember if I picked them up at Carlisle or had them shipped to me. No fitting problems on either purchase. I’ll be out to Cincinnati the 2nd weekend in June to race. I’m glad they moved the date.
By stuey - 5 Years Ago
Hi there

Great project. I just noticed your front engine mount. I have one like that on my project. I'm using a dampener purchased from team Mummert and it fouls the mount. Took me quite a while to figure it out.  I have a different mount coming from Canada, should arrive tomorrow. Nothing wrong with the dampener just not compatible with that particular mount.
Hope this is helpful.
stuey
UK