new alloy cylinder heads

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic104186.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By stuart schofield - 10 Years Ago
Any do's and don't when ordering John 's heads and how long did you have to wait,

Chassis on this open wheeler getting there, so I'm starting on the 272 +   thanks Stuart  Schofield Aus.
By CK - 10 Years Ago
Hi Stuart.
I don't know personally, though I would like to know.
I've tried e-mailing with no reply as he says on his site. However I haven't tried mentioning this site in e-mails. I'm told its best to call him.
I'll see if i can find the extension no. to call the states.  
I'd also be interested in cost of freight to Oz ?

By slick56 - 10 Years Ago
John Mummerts' number from Australia is  0011 1 610 596 0312

If you call him in the morning, you will get him yesterday afternoon....

I think aussiebill recently brought in some heads .

By The Horvaths - 10 Years Ago
It helps to be very, very patient. I received mine Monday. John had to wait for the foundry to deliver castings. I waited what seemed to be forever. I first inquired about them sometime in the Spring. Man, are they sweet! I'm hoping to get them on this weekend but, hey, what's the hurry? Wink
By MoonShadow - 10 Years Ago
According to Ted Eaton's dyno tests the heads are good for about 50 horse power on any decent engine. Cheap power. Chuck
By CK - 10 Years Ago
The way I read it is all of the mods done to the ecz-g and 113's over the years have been put into the std. casting of the aluminium heads. 
Which means a set of iron heads(tinkered) can perform as well as a set of std. aluminium heads.
How ever it is recommended to seek 11:1 comp. with aluminium, yet only 10:1 comp. with iron. (something to think about)
So porting may be a more affordable option? 
Yet if your seeking more than 350 HP, well the aluminium heads and some porting will be the way to go.
By NoShortcuts - 10 Years Ago
The aluminum heads are of improved port AND combustion chamber design, CK.  All the porting work you might effort to do on a set of iron heads will not allow you to obtain the horsepower and torque curves that can be obtained using John and Geoff Mummerts' new cylinder heads.

For strictly street use, you may not feel the new heads to be worth the cost, especially with what you'll have to pay to have them shipped to Australia.

My understanding is that the improved cylinder head flow is at all rpm speeds, but really shows its benefits when engine speeds exceed 3,500. The dyno charts are in the Forum archives from the extensive comparative tests that Ted Eaton did with iron heads compared with the new aluminum heads.  And if you want still more capability, JM offers CNC ported aluminum heads for competition purposes.

Yes.  Because aluminum heads dissipate heat more rapidly than iron heads, you can run a slightly higher static compression ratio than you can with iron heads without detonation problems.  Remember though that your engine's dynamic compression ratio, which is related to when the intake valve closes, ALSO is an important factor in whether or not you will encounter detonation problems with the fuel you're using.  Smile  
By ian57tbird - 10 Years Ago
When I met JM down in San Diego he said he was no longer going on this site as his computer was having issues with it, I think since the software changes.
By NoShortcuts - 10 Years Ago
NoShortcuts (8/10/2014)
  All the porting work you might effort to do on a set of iron heads will not allow you to obtain the horsepower and torque curves that can be obtained using John and Geoff Mummerts' new cylinder heads.

My understanding is that the improved cylinder head flow is at all rpm speeds, but really shows its benefits when engine speeds exceed 3,500. The dyno charts are in the Forum archives from the extensive comparative tests that Ted Eaton did with iron heads compared with the new aluminum heads.  And if you want still more capability, JM offers CNC ported aluminum heads for competition purposes.

The horsepower and torque graphs in this article on Ted Eaton's web site may be of interest to you, CK.
By John Mummert - 10 Years Ago
My new computer actually works here!!!
We have enough heads on order to satisfy all back orders, finally.
I should correct the phone # listed above. 0011 1 619 596 0312
We built many Y-Blocks with ported iron heads and with street compression and camshafts we found that 355HP and 350 ft lbs was about the limit with 240° @ .050" cams. With the new heads untouched 393HP and 410 ft lbs is easy with 228° @ .050"  cams.
We have an "Australian Special" package for the heads. 2 bare heads with all required parts in a 3rd box. Keeps all packages under 1000.00 value with shipping. Those in OZ know why.
By slick56 - 10 Years Ago
[quote]John Mummert (9/19/2014)

We have an "Australian Special" package for the heads. 2 bare heads with all required parts in a 3rd box. Keeps all packages under 1000.00 value with shipping. Those in OZ know why.[/quote]

G'day John, good to see you back online.

I assume that one of your intakes would come in a fourth box?
What is included in the head kit, and what else would i need to purchase to bolt your heads on my 292?
Are the exhaust ports in the same position as stock, or will i need to tweak my exhausts?
Thanks, Allan K.
By charliemccraney - 10 Years Ago
John Mummert (9/19/2014)
We built many Y-Blocks with ported iron heads and with street compression and camshafts we found that 355HP and 350 ft lbs was about the limit with 240° @ .050" cams. With the new heads untouched 393HP and 410 ft lbs is easy with 228° @ .050"  cams.

At what CID?

By CK - 10 Years Ago
Ok John I'm interested, how long will this offer last?
The manifold you sent me fitted perfectly under the bonnet of the Tbird with the Terminator and a half inch spacer. However i have used a allstar base which is a 1.5" drop base filter, and a 3" filter element.
Back to the heads, I remember something about the rockers being different as the valves are positioned differently?
Would i need to upgrade rockers too? Can I modify my existing set as they are 1.7:1!
I offsetted the rocker shaft and rockers.
CK, it's not a special offer, simply a way to package the heads to keep the total value of the packages under $1000 each in Australian Dollars. What could end it is the Aussie dollar falling too low. Our rocker shafts are closer to the intake manifold but use stock length rockers so I doubt your rockers would work. Our roller rocker stands might make your rockers work. I would need to know the length of your rockers from shaft to valve.
The heads come with valves, springs, retainers, keepers, spring cups, seals. rocker stands, rocker mounting bolts and studs. You will need head bolts with washers and 8.260-8.310" pushrods.
Exhaust ports match up to original.
Charley, 400HP with a 334 cu in engine. 385HP with 310 cu in. 355 with 296 cu in.
By OZYRAY - 10 Years Ago
I got a pair of heads off John a while back in the 3 box format! , (no tax when each item is under $1000), also a heap of other parts , rods ,custom forged pistons, aluminium flywheel, chrome moly pushrods,one of Johns cams, timing set and all other parts to assemble the engine. John  sent them here in several packages.  Got it assembled and running last week, this thing is wicked in a light car, twists that chassis right up when you give it the boot. 11.0 -1 static compression ratio, 8.2-1 dynamic, runs good on our 98 octane pump fuel, timing set at 36 degrees total 18 initial.  Wieand intake with 3 x 11/16 venturi carbs. If you are thinking of building a quick Y block you wont regret getting these parts over here,  thanks again John for your help!
Ray, great to hear you got the engine together and in the car. A lot of projects don't come together that fast. Congratulations.
By OZYRAY - 10 Years Ago
Thanks John, the engine was a breeze to assemble with all the right parts, finally got the mustang clutch sorted out by shipping one over.. only $40 freight - should have done that in the first place! .. could not be happier with the engine..
By CK - 10 Years Ago
Hi John 
Thanks for the chat. I had to get of the phone when I realized the time and raced to work. 
I will be looking forward to the next batch of heads and ordering a set in a week or two.

The Edelbrock machine shop has our heads scheduled to start machining October 20.
We do have some intakes, standard timing covers, valley covers.
No alternator brackets or add-on pulleys
By PF Arcand - 10 Years Ago
John:  From your last post, I presume that all the complete head assemblies you had on hand are sold. Since you took on a very large risk when you took on this project,  may I ask how many sets you have marketed ? 
By CK - 10 Years Ago
Well as much as i'd like a set this time around, it won't be happening for me.
 I gratefully registered my Tbird yesterday. Stamp duty is a killer.

How often are batches available.

CK, sorry to hear your money had to go for something as boring as registration. One of the few good things about California is that as a car gets older it costs less to register. No safety inspections and no restrictions on engine mods on 1974 and older cars.
Machining was supposed to start this past week on the next run of heads but the whole industry is upside down trying to get new products ready to take to the SEMA Show next month.
When we get this next batch there should be enough to go around.
By ian57tbird - 10 Years Ago
Hi John. The stamp duty is equivalent to your sales tax when putting a vehicle in your name. The tax in the US is way higher for transferring of ownership but the funny thing is no one seems to question it if a ridiculously low number is put down for the DMV, which is usually only good for private purchases though.
By lyonroad - 10 Years Ago
ian57tbird (10/27/2014)
 The tax in the US is way higher for transferring of ownership but the funny thing is no one seems to question it if a ridiculously low number is put down for the DMV, which is usually only good for private purchases though.

Here in British Columbia the onus is on the purchaser to declare the actual purchase price on the transfer documents.  When I sell a used vehicle I tell the purchaser he can declare what ever he wants but I won't be making up a story if the tax man calls.  My parents were in the Auto Insurance business and  if tax fraud was suspected they were required to check the blue book value.  Occasionally bad things happened. 
By CK - 10 Years Ago
I figured the price I bought it for being $26'500 wouldn't be to over the top with stamp duty.
Yet they stung me for $1900- $750 reg.  $1100 stamp duty  $50 booking fee
At first I thought they said $1090 and then I got to the register and I had to ask again. Very much worth it though considering they only checked the no.'s 
and filled out the paper work and it was done, the hardest part was convincing my foreman to sign off the Road worthy certificate, but he had a look and a drive he was quite happy with it.

Yet back to the heads.
CNC porting- Whats the program worth for these heads and what machines are required. Being its my interest at present for a std. set, yet if I ever stroke the engine or put a bigger cam in it etc. I may be looking towards porting. I'm sure many others here in Aust. may have a similar interest. 
Could there be some sort of deal arranged?

By CK - 10 Years Ago
I am talking about Alloy heads as you may read.

And yes I did ask a few months ago and understand the situation concerning iron heads.
I ran my Tbird on a dyno a month or so ago with the ported 113's and it pulled 220 HP @ 5200 in top gear with 1.43:1 rockers which was all I had at that stage.
I ported theses heads, yet I was interested in CNC purely to ensure they were all the same.
 I suppose I could just have them flow tested to know which cyl. may be lacking, if any?

I pretty much spent 6-7 hrs dye-grinding and releaved quite alot by Ted's recommendations.
If you've ever tried it you will certainly understand.

By CK - 10 Years Ago
Ignore the last post
I was replying to a post which has been deleted
By aussiebird - 9 Years Ago
hi l recently built a yblock and used john Mummerts Heads manifold and all his outher goodies that go with it l would not touch the heads the motor makes great power and wow when it gets to around 3000rpm hang onhttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/156fbbb4-4586-43a1-be2f-deb0.jpg