Profile Picture

Dove rocker arm specifics

Posted By slumlord444 12 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 15 hours ago

Getting partial sets or individual Y rockers from Dove is not expected to be a problem.  Just give them a call and talk to them concerning your needs.  If there is a problem in doing this, just give me a shout and I’ll see what I can do.  The aforementioned problem with the Dove adjusters breaking was with a particular batch of adjusters made from improperly heat treated material.  While it was embarrassing for Dove that this happened, they went out of their way to supply me an adequate number of correctly heat treated adjusters so that I could get with customers and get those faulty adjusters swapped out.  That issue hasn’t surfaced in quite awhile now.

The Harland Sharp roller rocker setup for the aluminum heads uses the same number of adjuster offsets as the Dove units.  The setup on the shafts ends up being similar.  For the aluminum heads, I am having to machine 0.080” off of one side of the second from the right supplied rocker stand in order to maintain proper valve stem tip alignment.  Not a biggie on this end as I perform that operation in a lathe which also allows me to put the step back on the edge of that particular stand for rocker side clearance.

Regarding using solid spacers or springs between the roller rockers, I’ve been both ways.  For whatever reason, the rocker assemblies using springs appear to have a slight horsepower advantage over the rocker assemblies using spacers.  Having a slight preload on the rockers seems to work in favor of controlling some unwanted movement in that area.

Here’s a picture of the Dove Rockers on the aluminum heads.  This particular set is using spacers between the rockers.

Here’s a picture of the Harland Sharp rockers on the aluminum heads.  This particular set uses springs between the rockers.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Missouri Mike
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 11 Years Ago
    Will the Harland Sharp or Dove roller rockers fit under the older valve covers like Fenton or Weiand?????

Thanks

Missouri Mike

I'd rather be lucky than good.................

but good ain't bad!!

aussiebill
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
TED, as allways a great informative reply re the rocker arms, i,ll call Dove and go from there, I like the ex ports on those heads , thank you again from all of us. regards bill.Smile

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

Talkwrench
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Ooohhh momma.. one day I'll have a set w00t

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/02c74785-3ce2-4b80-a66c-f31f.jpg

"Came too close to dying to stop living now!"
MoonShadow
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)Supercharged (7.5K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
Gee at my current age I feel really blessed to still be dreaming of head(S). Tongue Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
slumlord444
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
Great photos. I am assuming that the T-Bird valve covers will fit with the Dove setup? One more question. Is drilling the holes in the block and heads for cooling between the middle cylinders advisable with the aluminium heads?
aussiebill
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Talkwrench (2/13/2012)
Ooohhh momma.. one day I'll have a set w00t

Well, you mention you,re going to the states, there couldnt be a better opportunity while the dollar is the best its been, you could bring them home in suit cases, looks like a golden opportunity to me.Smile

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

Ted
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 15 hours ago
slumlord444 (2/13/2012)
Great photos. I am assuming that the T-Bird valve covers will fit with the Dove setup?
There have been no problems with fitment of the Dove or Harland Sharp roller rocker arm assemblies under the stock or Thunderbird valve covers to date.
One more question. Is drilling the holes in the block and heads for cooling between the middle cylinders advisable with the aluminium heads?

I’m going out of my way to plug the holes in the blocks when they are present. On my end, no steam hole venting is required with standard height radiators.

Here are links to a couple of other threads on the subject.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic18743.aspx

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic47206.aspx

Performing a search will bring up more on the topic.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Vic Correnti
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
For my .02 cents worth the spacers are a lot of trouble getting the side clearance required between them. Then if you take the assembly off and put them back on you have to fiddle around as you bolt them back down to get the side clearance right again. More HP with springs and no shimming sounds like a no brainer to me.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/7393d096-cbf0-4ed0-bfdc-c4b0.jpg  Vic Correnti

slumlord444
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
Planing on going with the springs. Hope to call Dove tomorrow and order them. When I talked to them a week or two back they were out of stock but planed to have them soon. As always, great information here. Thanks to Ted and everyone else. Now if I can just figure out the piston rings-----

Reading This Topic

Site Meter