Profile Picture

Which heads to use! Inlet manifolds casting numbers.

Posted By rick55 14 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)Supercharged (658 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
I am about to put a 292 together to put in my '55 Customline.

I have 3 sets of heads, but am unsure of which would be the best to use for a soon to be street driven automatic.

The casting numbers for the heads are ECG (no other lettering apart from 6020) - these came off an Aussie/Canadian '55 272, ECG D which were fitted to the standard 272 in my 55 (Californian car) and a set of ECG S heads which I acquired over the years of my collecting bits. I think these came from an Australian delivered F series truck - not sure of the vehicle size - it was used as a tow truck.

My quandary comes from the difference in combustion chamber shape of the ECG S heads. They are a simple D shape without the dimple in the combustion chamber around the spark plug of the other heads. They look like they would be a better chamber design than the others but they appear to have a bigger combustion chamber than the other heads. They don't seem to shroud the plug like the other heads. I would like to know what compression ratio these chambers are.

Here in Oz we don't have the availability of the better big valved heads fitted to American Y Blocks, so I will need to make use of one of these sets.

I would appreciate any thoughts.

Also I remember seeing an earlier post which listed all the casting numbers for Y Block inlet manifolds, but am unable to find it again. I have an early 4 barrel ECZ 9425 A and would like to know what it was fitted to originally. Any suggestions?

I hope you all had a happy and safe Holiday period.

Regards

Rick - West Australia
Do Y Blocks Downunder run upside down? Gravity Sucks!!
aussiebill
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Rick, my 2 cents worth is use the S heads, there are basically 4 intakes, 2bbl stromberg/holley with 3 bolt mounting base, 57 on 2bbl 320 cfm holley intake with 4 bolt mounting base, small 4bbl teapot holley intake, casting # ends with A, 57 later 4 bbl holley squarebore intake, casting # ending with B. if using auto trans, keep in mind provision for K/D mechanism. You can check on John mummerts site in tech section on head casting numbers. regards bill.

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

Pete 55Tbird
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Rick

I would consider using the ECG D heads because you can get a higher compression ratio with them. For every point of increase of compression your engine will produce 11% more power. Install the larger intake valves and clean up the exhaust ports and add a true dual exhaust system. Although the S heads appear to be less "Shrouded" this is not significant with RPM below 5500 and valve lift of .450 inch or less.

A good resourse is David Visard books on how to produce HP in street driven engines. Now is the time to choose a camshaft. Worry about the intake/carb at some future date. Pete

Ted
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 days ago

Pete.  I use 4% as the number for what the horsepower increase will be for each point of compression ratio increase.  After 11.0:1 CR, this number steadily decreases and at a certain point, there is actually a decrease in power output.  The amount of increase between 14:1 & 15:1 is minimal on many engines.

Intake manifold casting numbers:

EBY-D intake - Teapot Holley four barrel on ’54 Merc (choke housing on intake)

ECB-B intake – Teapot Holley four barrel on  ’55 Ford (choke housing on intake)

ECZ-A intake – Teapot Holley four barrel on ’56 Ford (choke housing on carb)

ECZ-B intake – Holley model 4150/4160 4V carb on ’57 & up Ford & Mercury

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Old Y Block
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)

Last Active: 13 Years Ago
Howdy; I would go with the ECG-D heads. The C/R will go up when you put 272 heads on a 292. Those heads have the 1.78" intake valves also. Remember to have them serviced first. If you can find a ECZ-B intake use it. They breathed a little better for a little better torque and it takes the "new" style big base carb. Also if you can find a 57 or later distributor that has the mechanical advance as well as the vacuum,try that. They work better. Let's just keep them running!

Reading This Topic

Site Meter