Profile Picture

installing cam with engine on...

Posted By gentz 15 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 14 Years Ago
Yea i read an old post but the special tool never came to show...i can do it through the bottom but i want to know if anyone has the tool or has seen it. its removes the lifters from the y block through the cam bearing journals? pics? or part number..I will be tackeling this job soon...I have a friend that works at ford so they may have it laying around..in storage

If it aint broke, lets modify it!

1962 Galaxie 500 Town Victoria 4dr. 292 with a nice mild cam.

Salinas California.
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 6 hours ago
The tool to remove the lifters is simply a half round tray that fits in the cam bearings and is as long as the engine.  The lifters are dropped into the tray and pulled out with a long handled magnet.  The installation tool has a clip to hold the lifter body, a hinge at the end, and a handle long enough to reach the back of the engine.  There is a rod on the handle that actuates the hinge.  The lifter is put into the clip and the hinge turned so that the lifter lays against the handle.  The tool in inserted through the cam bearings until it reaches the position you want, and the rod is pushed (or pulled?) to open the hinge and stand the lifter up.  After the lifter is started in it's bore, another tool is inserted below the hinged one and pushes up on the lifter, so that the first tool can be pulled out.  Then the lifter is pushed up in it's bore where it can be held by a spring clothespin.  Probably a good idea to leave the tray in place through all of this, "just in case".  You only have to repeat this 13 times, the front two lifters can be installed without the tool.  I have used one of these once, I find it is quicker and easier to pull the engine, put it on a stand, turn it upside down, take off the pan, and change the lifters.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
yehaabill
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Y-Guy Gentz:       Are you working on a car or truck? If it's a truck,

I can offer some advice.

Bill

Bill

Pelham,Al

46yblock
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
Hoosier Hurricane (7/21/2009)
The tool to remove the lifters is simply a half round tray that fits in the cam bearings and is as long as the engine.  The lifters are dropped into the tray and pulled out with a long handled magnet.  The installation tool has a clip to hold the lifter body, a hinge at the end, and a handle long enough to reach the back of the engine.  There is a rod on the handle that actuates the hinge.  The lifter is put into the clip and the hinge turned so that the lifter lays against the handle.  The tool in inserted through the cam bearings until it reaches the position you want, and the rod is pushed (or pulled?) to open the hinge and stand the lifter up.  After the lifter is started in it's bore, another tool is inserted below the hinged one and pushes up on the lifter, so that the first tool can be pulled out.  Then the lifter is pushed up in it's bore where it can be held by a spring clothespin.  Probably a good idea to leave the tray in place through all of this, "just in case".  You only have to repeat this 13 times, the front two lifters can be installed without the tool.  I have used one of these once, I find it is quicker and easier to pull the engine, put it on a stand, turn it upside down, take off the pan, and change the lifters.

My backup mechanic actually owns one of these tools.  Also a P & G gapper and lots of other cool stuff.  Last week after having no luck finding some Autolite jets, I went over to his place and he had them too! 

Mike, located in the Siskiyou mountains, Southern, OR 292 powered 1946 Ford 1/2 ton, '62 Mercury Meteor, '55 Country Squire (parting out), '64 Falcon, '54 Ford 600 tractor.

gentz
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)Turbocharged (60 reputation)

Last Active: 14 Years Ago
Im working on my 62 galaxie 500. and i dont really have the space to remove the engine at home. or else i would that is the reason i am looking to do them while in the car. can you post pictures of the tool? also like i said i can remove the oilpan and get from under too....let me know...

If it aint broke, lets modify it!

1962 Galaxie 500 Town Victoria 4dr. 292 with a nice mild cam.

Salinas California.
46yblock
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
I can get a picture in the next few days.  However it wont be any help, as the tool cant reasonably be made, and it appears to be very rare.  I've never seen one come up on ebay during the last 5 years, and John is the only other person I've heard about that has used one.  Maybe Bill will sell it to me and I can rent it out BigGrin .

Mike, located in the Siskiyou mountains, Southern, OR 292 powered 1946 Ford 1/2 ton, '62 Mercury Meteor, '55 Country Squire (parting out), '64 Falcon, '54 Ford 600 tractor.

yehaabill
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)Supercharged (468 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Y-Guy gentz:       Since you can get the pan off, you'll need a "grabber"

tool, the type its usually 12-16" long with a flex shaft(like a choke cable)

with a knob you push to expand the "claws" on the end.

Grip the head of the lifter while a friend shines a light from the

valley area down thru the lifter hole. You may have to rotate the crank

to get them all(use a plain wooden clothes pin to hold the lifter in place)

It will take some time to do it, just take your time and wear

saftey glasses because you WILL drop a lifter or two!!!

Hope this helps, Bill

Bill

Pelham,Al

lowrider
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
I just put a cam & lifters in my 57 Ford 292. Didn't have the patience for the tray/magnet routine. It was faster for me to pull the oil pan. Still eaiser to just pull the engine, but I don't have the means at home either.

Dan      Kingman Az.      86409
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 6 hours ago
The tool I used belonged to the local Ford dealer, where my late brother-in-law worked at the time.  He borrowed it for me, which wasn't a problem because the mechanics on flat rate could do it faster by pulling the engine.  That dealer has changed hands a few times and moved, no telling where the tool is now.  Probably got junked in one of the moves. 

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
Ted
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Here are pics of the lifter installation tool that’s being discussed.  Those guys with the early ‘Birds will do just about anything to keep from pulling the engine and tranny so the lifter tool for them seems to work out.  I’ve used it with limited success but you’d better be ready for a 1½-2 hour job and a sore back when you’re through.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter