Profile Picture

setting timing

Posted By 1930artdeco 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Ok. I finally got my distributor out-unceremoniously but it is out. Now after I get it rebuilt what is the best way to set the timing when I go to install it?  Basically how do I find the degrees BTDC to put it at so that she will run enough for me adjust it? Also, to prevent corrosion and crap from freezing it in place can I use dielectric grease or anti-seize on the base?

Mike
paul2748
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Set the engine at top dead center on the #1 piston -front, passenger aide - on the compression stroke - .  The pointer should be pointed at the timing marks.  Both valves should be closed (rockers loose).Set pointer at about 6 degrees to start.  In inserting the distributor, set the rotor to # 1 on the cap.  That should be enough to get you started and put a timing light on it.  When checking with the light, make sure all vacuum lines to the distributor are taken off and plugged..

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

DryLakesRacer
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

I use never seize whenever I have desimiliar metals in contact.
When installing an aluminum manifold I will always coat the shank part where the cap screw is in contact with the manifold.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Ted
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Last Week
Once determining that the piston is coming up on compression stroke, put the damper at ~20-25° BTDC at the pointer for installing the distributor.  You’ll find that engines start up much easier at 20°+ instead of TDC without that frustrating fanfare of backfires and fiddling with the distributor back and forth to get the engine up and running.  Once the engine is up and running, then a timing light can be used to do a final timing adjustment.

You don’t say if this is a points or electronic distributor but the 20-25° on the damper applies to both.  Points distributors are simply easier to initially time when the distributor is dropped in place.  If it is a points distributor and dropped into the engine where the rotor is in the proximity of #1 on the cap, then turn the distributor clockwise until the breaker points just start to open.  Once this is done, just insure that the rotor is still pointing to the #1 spot in the cap.

If it’s an electronic distributor, then align the stator and reluctor within the distributor and you’ll be good to go.  MSD distributors are easy in this regard.  Pertronix electronic distributors or conversion kits can be a bit challenging but if the center collar is marked where the magnets within it are, then those too can be initially timed easier.  To find those magnets in that center collar, I take a paper clip to the center collar and marked each location with a dot of paint or correction fluid.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

1930artdeco
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)

Thank you all. It will be points distributor for now. I have a ways to go yet on the engine but by late this year early next year I am hoping to stuff her back in the car! In the mean time I get new heads, tranny and fuel pump next month. After that is is onto the carb, damper and gen. That should pretty much be it before stuffing.

Mike

Reading This Topic

Site Meter