Profile Picture

Y block starter

Posted By Y block guy 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (104 reputation)Supercharged (104 reputation)Supercharged (104 reputation)Supercharged (104 reputation)Supercharged (104 reputation)Supercharged (104 reputation)Supercharged (104 reputation)Supercharged (104 reputation)Supercharged (104 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
What is the best replacement starter for a 312, something that's available at a typical parts store? Do any other family's fit ie FE? 1956 vintage
Ted
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 3 days ago
The starters from 1956 thru 1964 Y’s and the starters from 1958 thru 1964 FE’s are interchangeable with each other.  The ‘pitch’ of the starter teeth on the ring gear is the limiting factor for starter selection for the Ford Y and the first six years of Ford FE production.

Came 1965, the FE went to a more universal ‘pitch’ for the starter drive and the flywheel teeth.  It must also be noted that the Y-Block and early FE starters also have starter drives that drive forward rather than rearward.  As a result, the step on the standard transmission flywhl for the starter ring gear is on the engine side of the flywheel for the early model engines rather than on the transmission side.  Simply installing a late model ring gear on an early model flywheel and using the late model starter has the ring gear ultimately being driven back off of the flywheel after repeated hits of the starter.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Y block guy
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (104 reputation)Supercharged (104 reputation)Supercharged (104 reputation)Supercharged (104 reputation)Supercharged (104 reputation)Supercharged (104 reputation)Supercharged (104 reputation)Supercharged (104 reputation)Supercharged (104 reputation)

OK, thank you Ted. I was looking to put a smaller starter in, but would need to change ringgear. Mine is a stick, so what ring application would I need or can the ring be reversed?
57RancheroJim
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
The ring only goes on from one side of the flywheel, it can't be reversed mounted. Some time in the past I seem to recall a 289/302 flywheel could be machined to use on a Y, maybe someone has that info.
Whats wrong using a stock starter?
charliemccraney
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
I would be surprised if there is any starter that is readily available at a parts store that can be made to fit a Y relatively easily.

There is a mini starter available, http://autoelec.com/html/y_block_ford_gear_reduction_starter.html.  I've had one of these for about 14 years on a  daily, year round, in scorching heat, rain, snow, etc, driver.  Many others have used this as well and I've not yet heard anything bad about them.

Lawrenceville, GA
DryLakesRacer
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Power Master has a "mini" starter for a Y-block. Quite a few suppliers list them. They can be easily clocked for installation. Probably easier to put in than a stock on especially with power steering. In the $150 range. I bought a rebuilt for my 56 6 years ago and guys cringe with the sound. I tell them don't listen. I've adjusted many on a SBC but non on a Y yet.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
MoonShadow
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
I've used the Powermaster for years. The biggest problem I've had is they don't like moisture. Left to set up over a winter several have become so gummed up that they required disassemble and cleaning to work. I think making sure no water can get into the bell housing will stop that. Otherwise they are very good.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
paul2748
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I have one of autelectric's starters, on the car for 10 years or more, and never had a problem.  Reading about the problem of getting the stock starters out makes me think the mini starter is the way to go

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

MoonShadow
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
The mini starter is very simple to get in and out. Makes starter removal a breeze.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
Y block guy
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Well. I bit the bullet for a new starter from Napa. 170.00 but I got 21 years out of the last one, just pia to change!

Reading This Topic

Site Meter