Profile Picture

Power Steering

Posted By Dave Doll 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
Looking at a Borgeson power steering kit for my 59 Fairlane any input good,bad, or indifferent? Thanks Dave
johnnydidd
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (82 reputation)Supercharged (82 reputation)Supercharged (82 reputation)Supercharged (82 reputation)Supercharged (82 reputation)Supercharged (82 reputation)Supercharged (82 reputation)Supercharged (82 reputation)Supercharged (82 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
I have  Borgeson Power Steering unit I was going to put on my 53 merc, bought a  56 merc with power steering, still in  box. call if interested 913 832 5001, if you look at
their website I think it will work only need to change pump bracket.
Dave Doll
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)

Call me at 406-698-0489 Thanks Dave

tarheel
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)

Dave:

I put a Borgeson box on my '56 Fairlane and it was fairly difficult.  I wanted to keep the original column, the column mounted shifter and original steering wheel, which caused a lot of the difficulty.  The Borgeson box is a couple of inches longer than the original, and Borgeson recommends using an aftermarket column (such as an Ididit or Flamiing River unit) to make the installion easier. Instead, I bought a steering shaft kit and a horn connector kit from Unisteer and used the original column tube. It required cutting the steering shaft and the column tube to the correct lengths and rewelding the steering wheel end on the shaft, a little work on the firewall seal, fabricating a new clamp for the lower end of the tube, and making a new mount the shifting rod. Quite a bit of work, and if you decide to use an aftermarket column it should make the job easier.

You are probably aware that you cannot use a column mounted manual transmission shifter with the Borgeson box. If your car has a manual transmission, you would have to change to a floor mounted shifter. Also, there is little clearance between  the box and the exhaust manifold.  Borgeson recommends spacing the box away from the frame for clearance, but it is still a close fit.  I raised the motor about 1/4 inch by putting spacers between the motor mounts.  That provided a little more clearance.

You may need to order the hose fitting adapters from Borgeson.  I used a '56 Ford pump which has SAE threads, but the box uses metric fittings, causing the problem. So, check to see that the threads on the fittings, the pump and the box are compatible. The adapters go between a SAE fitting and a metric fitting. If you get a complete kit from Borgeson, including the GM power steering pump and the hoses, every thing will probably match up.

Again, I am very pleased with the power steering now.  It drives like a much later much later model car.  Good luck.

Larry
Dave Doll
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thank you how long ago did you install yours? The instructions they give you make it sound like its fairly easy. Thanks for the input Dave

tarheel
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)Turbocharged (74 reputation)

Dave:

I put the power steering on just a little over a year ago, everything still working great.  As I said, a complete kit should make it a fairly easy addition, but I really wanted to keep the stock appearance and chose to go a more difficult route.  Either way, the improved driving characteristics will make life with the car a lot nicer.  You will be able to use small parking spaces without a single cuss word.  

Larry
Dave Doll
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I just want my wife to be able to drive her car. I did say her car

Reading This Topic

Site Meter