Profile Picture

dipstick tube

Posted By 1964fordf100292 16 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (164 reputation)Supercharged (164 reputation)Supercharged (164 reputation)Supercharged (164 reputation)Supercharged (164 reputation)Supercharged (164 reputation)Supercharged (164 reputation)Supercharged (164 reputation)Supercharged (164 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 10 Years Ago
have any of you ever used a dipstick and dipstick tube from another ford motor??? the reason i ask is when i put headers on my truck, i brock my tube above the block and so i figured I would just replace it with something fancey from lokar or the such, if i can find a ford motor that uses the same size dipstick tube. anyone give me any advice.

also, are those dipstick tubes just press fit into the block???? can i just take a pair of pliers or visegrips and just pull it out?????
charliemccraney
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
I haven't notice any other make with the proper diameter. It is a slip fit and should be fairly easy to remove. If it's been in a while, you may find it easier to drop the pan and drive it out from below. A car dipstick can work on a truck. It has to be shortened. Once installed, the oil will only cover about 1/4" to 1/2" of the tip. Do an oil change at the same time and you can mark the level when full. I've been running like this for years. The plug in the timing cover can be used to plug the hole in the block when the dipsticks are swapped.

To my knowledge, Lokar does not make anything that will fit. I tried to order a custom dipstick from them several years ago. Their custom department was not impressive. I gave them 2 tries at making the fitting for the block with the required dimensions. They failed both times. I, with maybe 10 hours total of machining experience, used the lathe at work and made the part exactly as needed. Now, it's been several years and that "machinist" may not be there anymore.

Lawrenceville, GA
1964fordf100292
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (164 reputation)Supercharged (164 reputation)Supercharged (164 reputation)Supercharged (164 reputation)Supercharged (164 reputation)Supercharged (164 reputation)Supercharged (164 reputation)Supercharged (164 reputation)Supercharged (164 reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
do you still have the dimensions for the dipstick tube hole in the block. i have a truck with a rear sump pan so i dont think i could use the timing cover port.
MoonShadow
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
Maybe Ted or Jim can find the post I put up here a long time ago. Gave the name of a guy that makes the dipstick tubes in stainless steel. I have one on mine but haven't been able to find the information again. Confused, Chuck in NH Hehe

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
charliemccraney
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
The dipstick holes are the same size. I don't have a dimension handy. The plug is .540. Lokar uses an o-ring to seal so it's a little undersized. I'll see if I can find my drawings or measure the dipstick. I'm not sure where that thing may be. Never got around to using it.

The car dipstick will work with the truck pan if you shorten it. You just won't have the same range. 1/2 quart low and it won't show on the dipstick.

Lawrenceville, GA
Ted
Posted 16 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday

Another option is to tap the dipstick hole in the block to ¼ NPT and use one of the universal kits available from Canton or one of the other oil pan companies.  These allow you to bend the dipstick tube to fit your needs.

Here’s pics of a couple of styles of kits.  The pictured braided line kit is hooked directly to the oil pan rather than the hole in the timing cover only because that particular engine is using a main girdle which blocks the original dip stick hole but the concept is the same.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter