Profile Picture

New project: 1954 Mercury Sun Valley... doubts on numbers, color, parts...

Posted By 36 conv sedan 11 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

New project: 1954 Mercury Sun Valley... doubts on numbers, color,...

Author
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 11 Years Ago
Hi all:

I am new to the forum. I just got myself a new project with which I am very excited: a 1954 Mercury Sun Valley. I have been trying to find out some info in other fórums with no luck, so I am trying my luck here.

My car was originally assembled in Mexico (it has the MEX letters in the VIN) and it has it's original invoice.

First of all, I would love to check where can I find a chassis number and engine number in the car, to check that they correspond to the papers I have. I have checked the engine block with no luck so far.

Second, I would like to know about colors: I have read that Sun Valleys were supplied in two tone Green or in yellow body and Green top. My invoice states my car was White body and Green top. It was sold in March 1954, so I am guessing it is a rather late car. Would the color had to do with being a Mexican car or probably because it was a late model?

Third, in case anybody might have some spare parts to sell, I need many of them, but at least: carburetor, air cleaner, plexiglass top, mouldings for the top (yes, I only have a hole now), fender skirts, mercomatic emblem and the rest of the emblems.

Thanks,
victor
YBLOCKMERC
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (343 reputation)Supercharged (343 reputation)Supercharged (343 reputation)Supercharged (343 reputation)Supercharged (343 reputation)Supercharged (343 reputation)Supercharged (343 reputation)Supercharged (343 reputation)Supercharged (343 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I've been told by a life-long Ford mechanic and '54 Sun Valley restorer that there were actually four color combinations including the white/green you have and an all white version.

Also, I have a correct '54 Merc manifold, carb & air cleaner that I would sell, and I have access to a number of the parts you need. You can email me @ roadqwesty914@comcast.net.

'54 Mercs are great cars, I've had mine for over 20 years now.

Marc
'54 Merc ragtop
Pt Townsend, WA   
      http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e83cf74f-a3dc-4e1a-a928-8075.jpg                                                                                                                             

alanfreeman
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
'54 Ford and Mercury cars other than convertibles had VIN # stampings on three places on the frame, two of which are hidden. The one location that can be seen is on the top surface of the frame rail on the passenger side between the core support and the upper control arm. The two hidden numbers are on the upper surface of one of the crossmember, close to where the transmission mounts and on the upper passenger side surface of the frame crossmember at the very rear of the frame. The convertible models do not have the same crossmember as the other models and the factory did not stamp the VIN numbers on the "X" member so they only have the two VIN stampings at the front and rear. Alan S. Freeman
alanfreeman
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)Supercharged (750 reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
'54 Fords and Mercurys do not have matching frame/engine numbers. The frame stamping # is the VIN. Alan S. Freeman
Ted
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago

If the frame VIN placement is similar to the 1955/1956 Fords, then one of the hidden VIN’s will be stamped on the top of the frame at the back frame brace on the right side. The body must be off the frame to see this particular number.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

36 conv sedan
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (16 reputation)

Thanks guys! What about engine number? Is it stamped somewhere in the engine? I checked for it and could not see it.
BudMan
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (144 reputation)Supercharged (144 reputation)Supercharged (144 reputation)Supercharged (144 reputation)Supercharged (144 reputation)Supercharged (144 reputation)Supercharged (144 reputation)Supercharged (144 reputation)Supercharged (144 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hi Victor - I am about halfway through a Sun Valley restoration. As you proceed with your project and you have questions, you can email me at slderrick@live.com and I will try to help you. I do have some Sun Valley specific parts.

Bud

When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty
MoonShadow
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
The early engines did not have a vin number on them. For super accurate restoration they go with the date codes of production to see if that part was available on the date the car was completed. Unless you plan to build a "perfect" car for concourse judging its not necessary. Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
36 conv sedan
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Good to know on the engine not having numbers. That gives me the possibility to check which of my two cars has the most correct and best engine, and keep that one in the Sun Valley.

One of the cars, the Sun Valley, is an automatic transmission car and has the dual exhausts, while the Monterey has a regular standard transmission (no overdrive) and the manifold shows it originally had one exhaust but has been adapted now to two. Of course, whatever engine I use in the Sun Valley I will use the dual exhaust.

By the way, very active forum. I already emailed Marc and Bud. Thank you all for your help,

victor
Y block Billy
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
The early ones were usually dearborne blocks so it would be by the disttributor!

55 Vicky & customline

58 Rack Dump, 55 F350 yard truck, 57 F100

59 & 61 P 400's, 58 F100 custom cab, 69 F100, 79 F150, 82 F600 ramp truck, 90 mustang conv 7 up, 94 Mustang, Should I continue?

Reading This Topic

Site Meter