Profile Picture

292 Spark Plug Wires

Posted By captradiator 11 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Time Poster

First Time Poster (3 reputation)First Time Poster (3 reputation)First Time Poster (3 reputation)First Time Poster (3 reputation)First Time Poster (3 reputation)First Time Poster (3 reputation)First Time Poster (3 reputation)First Time Poster (3 reputation)First Time Poster (3 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 11 Years Ago
Newbie here. I have a Mercury 292 that I will be installing in my '56 F-350 wrecker, and I would like to have the correct wires/looms for it. I will be using Y-Block, Rams Horn exhaust manifolds. The old wires have two pieces that hold the wires in order-the left one bolts to the intake, and the right one slides into a metal bracket, which is bolted to the intake.

So, do any of you know if the factory-correct wires are out there to be purchased.

Thanks in advance,

Johnny aka captradiator
The Master Cylinder
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Johnny, that doesn't sound correct. Bolt to the intake? The wires should go down the back of the block and under the exhaust, being held in place with a couple of wire looms bolted to the block and heads.

http://www.y-blocksforever.com/forums/Uploads/Images/af13a279-385d-4926-92f2-349a.jpg"The Master Cylinder"

Enjoying life at the beach in SOCAL Smooooth

Ted
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 days ago

Welcome to the site.  The correct wire looms are available from a number of suppliers including Macs and Carpenter.  Here’s a couple of pics of the factory style looms on the Y.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

captradiator
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Time Poster

First Time Poster (3 reputation)First Time Poster (3 reputation)First Time Poster (3 reputation)First Time Poster (3 reputation)First Time Poster (3 reputation)First Time Poster (3 reputation)First Time Poster (3 reputation)First Time Poster (3 reputation)First Time Poster (3 reputation)

Master Cylinder,

Thanks for your reply and you are correct about the brackets being bolted to the block. In fact, the post with the photos by Ted shows exactly how mine looks.

Johnny aka captradiator
captradiator
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Time Poster

Ted,

Thanks-your photos show exactly what my 292 looks like.

Johnny aka captradiator
junkyardjeff
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Definately not a quick wire change so get quality wires.

Butchering up everything I can get my hands on in Dayton Ohio
Klaus M
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (52 reputation)Turbocharged (52 reputation)Turbocharged (52 reputation)Turbocharged (52 reputation)Turbocharged (52 reputation)Turbocharged (52 reputation)Turbocharged (52 reputation)Turbocharged (52 reputation)Turbocharged (52 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
HI Ted Do you have a part no. on the MSD street fire spark plug wires you have on this engine?
I am looking for a set, but it seems that all i can find is chevy sets with 90º boots in both ends.

Best regards Klaus
charliemccraney
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Klaus,
There are no performance wire sets that are ready to go. You will have to buy a universal set which you cut to length, install the boots, and crimp the connectors.

Lawrenceville, GA
Klaus M
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (52 reputation)Turbocharged (52 reputation)Turbocharged (52 reputation)Turbocharged (52 reputation)Turbocharged (52 reputation)Turbocharged (52 reputation)Turbocharged (52 reputation)Turbocharged (52 reputation)Turbocharged (52 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
hi, I found a universal set at Summit MSD-5553 i think that will work Smile
charliemccraney
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
If you want, get a set of plug wire numbers. I think they are available in clip on and heat shrink. They can be very helpful for trouble shooting.

Lawrenceville, GA

Reading This Topic

Site Meter