Profile Picture

Rear end question

Posted By dbzach64C 14 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Is the 58 Edsel rear end the same width as Ford? Chuck in NH

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
John Mummert
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I parted out a 55 merc wagon years ago (1967) and as I recall the wheels would not fit a Ford. The bolt pattern was larger.

Zero experience with Edsels

http://ford-y-block.com 

20 miles east of San Diego, 20 miles north of Mexico

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2c0ef4dd-5dd8-408e-ba0d-74f6.jpg

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
Edsels came in two versions, the "smaller" one was based on a Ford, the "larger" one based on a Merc.  I would think the 292 powered Edsels would have the Ford rear, the big engined ones would have the wider Merc rear.  Just a guess.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
dbzach64C
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Thanks for all the assistence. A complete 9" rear end from a 57 car has been located and now the work begins.

Wichita,KS
Oldmics
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
I am scabbing a 9" from a 58 Edsel wagon.

It measures the same to fit perfectly under one of my T Birds.The backing plates/brake shoe/drums setup is different (larger on the Edsel) so I need to use the T Bird stuff.

The bigger rear brakes would be nice BUT Edsel wagon drums are hard to find and the wagon drums are not availiable as repops as far as I know.

Oldmics

marvh
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)Supercharged (615 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Oldmics (11/6/2010)
I am scabbing a 9" from a 58 Edsel wagon.

It measures the same to fit perfectly under one of my T Birds.The backing plates/brake shoe/drums setup is different (larger on the Edsel) so I need to use the T Bird stuff.

The bigger rear brakes would be nice BUT Edsel wagon drums are hard to find and the wagon drums are not available as repops as far as I know.

Oldmics

Oldmics:

You can use the backing plates off a 1960s' wagons as Ford used the 9 inch through these years. Just note what year of wagon the backing plates came off of as some of the wagons used 2.25" shoes and others used 2.5" shoes The advantage is by using the later backing plates these have wider shoes and the drums are available from you regular supplier. If you use a 64 up wagon backing plates they have self adjusting brakes also. The 57-59 station wagons, retractable and rancheros had drums of their own. New are not available and used ones are very expensive. The later wagons backing plates have a greater offset than the original 57-59 backing plate to accommodate the wider shoes. Your park brake cables with fit. Some of the wagon backing plates are a little thicker so takes effort to get the park brake cable clips to lock.

Just check if the backing plates and axles are held in by 3/8" bolts. If your housing has 3/8 bolts the backing plate mounting circle and bearings are the same as the small bearing full sized cars. If you housing has 1/2" bolts the bearings and backing plates are the same as a wagon. The wagons (57 up) had the medium bearings and axles are held in by 1/2" bolts. Just a note check also wheel bolt circle to see if not 1/2 ton as they used the large bearings with 1/2" bolts.

marv
Y block Billy
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
To Answer Chuck, I used a 57 edsel 9" rear in my 55 and it was bolt in, if 58 is the same as the 57 it should work, but as others mentioned if the car came with a Y block or the big 400's there could be a difference.

As Far as shoes go I think they are all still available in my area anyway. we have a truck brake shop that used to be called brake service, they were bought out by another company which is called precision products (I think) and they just do brakes, drive shafts and U joints, I just tell them I want 2" 2.25" or 2.5" X 11 Ford shoes and no problems.

55 Vicky & customline

58 Rack Dump, 55 F350 yard truck, 57 F100

59 & 61 P 400's, 58 F100 custom cab, 69 F100, 79 F150, 82 F600 ramp truck, 90 mustang conv 7 up, 94 Mustang, Should I continue?

PF Arcand
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Billy: Maybe I've missed something here, but I'm not aware of there being any 57 Edsels. Only 58 thru 59 & a handful of 60's.

Paul
yblock
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (143 reputation)Supercharged (143 reputation)Supercharged (143 reputation)Supercharged (143 reputation)Supercharged (143 reputation)Supercharged (143 reputation)Supercharged (143 reputation)Supercharged (143 reputation)Supercharged (143 reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
55and 56 tbirds as well as54,55,56 station wagons and 55-56 pickups all used the same style diff,wher the pot is integeral. ther bigest down fall was spider shafts would come loose in the ring gear carier.had that isue in my1st 55tbird as well as 56merc pickup.repaird 1 and found a good 56rearaxel asm at a swapmeet.still lots around in the vancouver aria.i also have never heard of a 57edsel,just a slip of the key board i amsure,or a shot to see if we ar paying atention. cliff in cloverdale bc, 57rachero
Frankenstein57
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)Supercharged (159 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Back in the dirt tack sportsman days, we would try to find the Mercury suspension parts. The bigger stuff used a 5 X 5 wheel pattern, as opposed to the 5 X 4.5 pattern. We also used GM buick wheels which were stronger. The edsel models, some were based off the ford and some the mercury

thanks, Mark

Reading This Topic

Site Meter